Who shall give us the first impression of the new edition?

Sutek said:
See taht blue link in my signature? It's there because I went through both the first edition and AE and wrote every difference myself. :wink:
And it's quite impressive (and so well done with the tables). 8)

Anyone in the States who didn't go to Gen-Con get their copy yet?

I'm getting the impression that the Yanks are considered second-class customers...

;)

"smiling as he says it, partner"

The King said:
Sutek said:
See taht blue link in my signature? It's there because I went through both the first edition and AE and wrote every difference myself. :wink:

Thanks. That means a great deal coming from royalty such as yourself. :p

Seriously tho, if we ever get the dang thing over here in the States, I'd be glad to do the AE to 2nd version of Sutek's Erata...buuutttt.....

Prof.Dogg said:
Anyone in the States who didn't go to Gen-Con get their copy yet?
I actually preordered my copy from FRP Games, which means I got shafted together with you yanks even though I'm in Europe myself (a stupid, stupid mistake, I know). Anyway, my copy is in the mail heading here right now ( :D ), so at least FRP Games (which is in the states) have got copies.

Sutek said:
The King said:
Sutek said:

Thanks. That means a great deal coming from royalty such as yourself. :p

Seriously tho, if we ever get the dang thing over here in the States, I'd be glad to do the AE to 2nd version of Sutek's Erata...buuutttt.....
No need to be so humble. I resold my 1st edition to buy the AE, but for those who still play with the first (and there are even some of them on the forum), your errata is invaluable.

This is basically what I asked Mongoose and what they never did.

Listen

I love Mongoose and this game...but that doesn't wash with me. If you upgrade a game, or software, or rules....etc, you list the differences from a previoius version...UNLESS, you dealing with Smoke & Mirrors...IE, you hope that it looks prettier than it really is. Some folks already don't think it's worth paying for...and some have. (I have). Even if you aren't intending on pulling a smoke and mirrors routine on your customer base, the lack of a list like this makes it 'Appear' that it has occured. My first thought upon getting it was "There isn't a whole lot here that I didn't already own through the other books". Seeing Thulsa's list of changes changes that feeling. You don't want people making a purchase decision on the former thoughts...

I'd say that 90% of RPG publishing of new editions (and it probably applies to new editionos any publication, for tha matter) all the writers sit back and say at some point, "Well, that's as good as we're gonna get it..."

That's not an excuse, but bare in mind also that the had everyone breathing up, down and sideways accross thier necks for all those seven months to hurry up and get 2nd edition out. They set asside all other Conan materials while developing this 2nd edition and, quite frankly, so what if they didn't keep track of everything that's different! Heck, the masthead is probably different! Page one is, I'll wager, totally different.

You want a list of every single one of all the differences in content? All I'm saying is that you'll probablyhave to do it yourself.

I finally did it. Spent my forty bucks and bought the book. Not much changes as I knew it would be.
That's my humble contribution to the Conan line: I buy every book (even the ones I'll never use). I hope it will help Mongoose in keeping the game alive.

Sigh... MRQ Conan, where are you?...

Hervé said:
That's my humble contribution to the Conan line: I buy every book (even the ones I'll never use). I hope it will help Mongoose in keeping the game alive.

That's a good question Hervé: are we really helping the Conan line in buying every product, whatever the quality ?

I think not. A regular customer (as opposed to a Conan fan) will probably move away from this line if he's too often disapointed. Not buying low quality product is a clear message to Mongoose that they'll need to keep the quality high.

All the maps and proofreading fiasco should be things of the past. I really hope to see more products with Vincent as the main writter as he's clearly skilled and has a deep knowledge of the Conan universe.

W.

Well, I'm with Hervé on the shopping spree but I don't count since I am strak ravingly mad with too much money on my hand ... for booze, babes and games :wink:

Anyway, back to the topic. Just bought my copy today and I have to say: I like my 1st edition better. Why? Because it is FULL COLOR!
I love my full color rulebook. All that blood dripping from the weapons, all the illustrations looking really neat ... that is unfortunately lacking with Second Edition.

I was a little bit surprised that the Bandit character class is not included in the rulebook. Well, on the other hand I am not: I always thought that the Bandit was a little bit to narrow and is easily build als a Borderer/ Thief or Nomad/ Thief. So, if the Bandit is no longer with us: Good bye and good riddance.

So, is it necessary to "up-grade" to Second Edition, especially for chronically underfunded gamers living ad meagre living on cheese sandwiches and lighte coke?

No. Game on with your "old" editions. And good news - the "old" stuff can be used as is: Chnages are minor and so you can use older adventures with no need to cahneg anything.

Addendum: The new options for Defensive Blast are very good and add a lot to the game.

But another thing: Am I the only one who thinks that book binding has lost quality since the Lankhmar and Newhon books? It's now glued. So far no loose pages but the books don't keep being open when laid down.

Liked the older binding better, even if I have to pay €uro or two more. And give us the color back. The new Conan rulesbook lost a lot in visual appeal in comparison to the older one. Of course you get it cheaper (€ 10 less) and you get more pages and background info.

Still, I am a visual gaming geek.

Der Rote Baron said:
Addendum: The new options for Defensive Blast are very good and add a lot to the game.
I agree with this 100%!

But another thing: Am I the only one who thinks that book binding has lost quality since the Lankhmar and Newhon books? It's now glued. So far no loose pages but the books don't keep being open when laid down.
Unfortunately I also agree with this. As I wrote in this thread, my book is already in pretty bad shape.

Trodax said:
Der Rote Baron said:
I agree with this 100%!

Unfortunately I also agree with this. As I wrote in this thread, my book is already in pretty bad shape.
I bought it this week, I do agree with both of you.

I like the content of the book, but I've only opened it about five or six times and pages are already starting to fall out. The binding in the back of the book is starting to rip as well.

Is there any way to get a replacement?

Back