White Star speed

Old Bear

Mongoose
Hi guys,

A number of people have brought up the fact that the White Star is a bit of a bus with ACC/DEC of just 4. Either Vorlon technology is a lot more pants than they let on or this number should be 14.

Take your pick, although we will probably go with the latter... :wink:

Make a variant rule that the White Star flies as fast as the GM needs it to go? I say this to give the White Star the ability to move like it does in the show, since JMS is quoted as saying "The White Star moves at the speed of plot". :wink:

Old Bear's the man, no doubt about it.

14 is indeed the correct value here. That makes it 6 (!) points better than a Vorlon Transport, so it easily earns its reputation as the fastest thing in space.... or at least, it is until the next ship in its production line comes along. <wicked, knowing grin>

-August

i brought up that i thought the speed should be higher, but not at 14.. more like 5, 6, or 7. The book goes by acceleration. Fighters, would have still a better acceleration, but the WhiteStar has a better ability to operate at a faster speed. In season 5 they make a point of that, when Delen and Lenire (shotty spelling) encounter the drak ships..

I can see your point, Guest, but the ship needed to be faster and better able to adjust its speed than a raider vessel (which they were able to fly circles around in the few engagements from the show with raider-like opposents). Since the raiders have an accel of 8, the White Star needed to be considerably better.

-August of the misplaced 1s :)

Mongoose August said:
Old Bear's the man, no doubt about it.

14 is indeed the correct value here. That makes it 6 (!) points better than a Vorlon Transport, so it easily earns its reputation as the fastest thing in space.... or at least, it is until the next ship in its production line comes along. <wicked, knowing grin>

-August

Ah, but who got me the picture? :D

LoneStranger said:
Make a variant rule that the White Star flies as fast as the GM needs it to go? I say this to give the White Star the ability to move like it does in the show, since JMS is quoted as saying "The White Star moves at the speed of plot". :wink:

Why not? Every GM runs his own ship, if yoou'll pardon the pun. If we can't have diversity in roleplaying, then what's the point? :)

Another question .

Are the De- /Accelertion stats for the Torotha Assault Frigate right ?

In the descriptions was wrote, that the Torotha is " the fastest large Ship in the Minbari fleet" .

But it is as fast as the other and the Sharlin is even faster. :?

One, the Sharlin is considered a class of ship all by itself by the Minbari and is usually not counted in such comparisons.

Two, the descriptions are effectively how the Minbari 'feel' about their ships and what has been said about them by other races. Much as advertising often lists a feature of a vehicle as 'the fastest' or 'the best handling' even though it is merely very high or comparable to another.

Back