What's YOUR Conan game like?

I'm always interested in hearing how other people's games are like.

Their players, their characters, the little changes they've made, etc.

Please, let us into the dark, murky secrets of your own personnal RP sessions. :)

David St-Michel said:
I'm always interested in hearing how other people's games are like.

Their players, their characters, the little changes they've made, etc.

Please, let us into the dark, murky secrets of your own personnal RP sessions. :)

Ive fairly recently ran a few sessions, and you may know that Ive whinged about it being D20, rather than RQ. But, the sessions were fairly enjoyable.

Ive steered away from politics and civilization, and concentrated initially, on sites of interest/ruins, etc. I think the Hyborian world is most evocative when away from civilized areas, and its easier to involve players unfamiliar to Conan that way. Ive also decided that sorcerers are off limits and NPCs just yet.

In the first couple of sessions, my players discovered a mysterious tower built on the floor of a large vertical cavern, in the middle of thick jungle. The remains of an ancient culture, (the players obviously don't know any more), now home to a race of degenerate humans . Covered with vines and an exterior stairway, it was an adventure in itself to get to the cavern floor! It took them a while to find the entrance as well.

From these simple beginings I'll see where the whole thing goes, once my players become more familiar with the world, I'll introduce more complex plots, and, I'll probably be more comfortable with the rules by then too.

Unless, of course, Mongoose do a MRQ version!

Not sure what you want to know exatly :)

I've a session with my old friend from quebec city, we play once or twice a month. We are now 12th level (started level 3). I started as the GM, but most session we alternate the game master. This is fun because that give me an oportunity to play, and it also introduce variety in gaming style. We play during the reign of king Conan.

Main adventure included
- A lost zingaran galion near a small fisherman hamlet. It was sink by a mysterious aborigen race living on a remote island and praying to a Shark-God

- a mysterious cult kidnapping civilian in a forest north of Messentia.

- A plot from Bombas, ruler of Sicas to threathen King Conan.

- A mysterious pict tracker trying to kill the group.
- A pictish sorceress pregnant from King Conan.
- A political intringue in Corinthia with an exiled noble.
- A mysterious island west of Vanaheim, where it's inhibitant are the direct descendant of Ymir and the Frost Giants.
and more other

So we beginned in Hyboria (Ocean, Argos, Aquilonia), and then played some game in Turan, corinthia and Asgalun (Shem).
The party include an Aquilonian soldier with a noble level and lot of Leadership feat, another Aquiloniaon soldier more focused on defensive, a Bossnian Borderer (me), a shemite Nomad with 2 noble level, a cimmerian barbarian and a zingaran Pirate/Thief.

My character is build that way

Borderer 11/Nomad 1. Civilised code of honor, worship: Bori.

str 18; dex 18; Con 15; Int 16; Wis 18; Cha 14;

combat style: Bossnian sniper

Feat: Track*, endurance*, Diehard*, Point blank shot*, Alertness, Improved initiative, Rapid shot, Sleep-Mastery, Fleet-footed, Quick draw, Ambush, Skill focus: survival*, Sniper's eye*, Clarity, Iron Will.

some Skills: Climb +10, Heal +8, Hide +16, Kw: Geography +8, Kw: Nature +10, Listen +19, Move Silently +16 (yes, i've spend twice the point :), Profession: Sailor +6, Ride +6, Search +9, Spot +24, Survival +26, Tumble +9

Since my players usually don´t have much time to play, I usually come up with an adventure with pre-designed characters. This way we can play several levels/characters/places without having much problem about sticking to a single campaign.

Also, we play with relatively few armour, so it tends to a higher body-count when it comes to battles :wink:

Most of all, the games are rules-light, at least on the side of game world and characters controlled by the GM. If the GM understands how something works in real life, dice throwing is often simply left aside and decisions are based upon the GM's experience. This leads to more dynamic sessions.

Besides, in my opinion at least, any form of magic wielding by PCs in the Hyborian Age ruins the world's magic-free nature. For this reason I tend to eliminate it from my gamesessions. Keep in mind though, it doesn't mean all the supernatural in the Hyborian Age, which is quite abundant. I just don't want magic-users everywhere.

When it comes to games themselves, I keep them in the time of Conan's rule, or slightly before that. The Cimmerian himself is never involved in the direct action though. All the players can see of him is some massive barbarian in the crowd on the streets occasionally seen from afar or maybe king Conan's ride through with his bodyguards beside him.

In a word I like to keep it simple in most aspects.

My groups games started in Zamboula, and gravitated south, while sticking to the core classes. After a year or so Zamora was the campaigns setting. The adventures usually ended with the party slipping out at night ahead of the established power group they annoyed.
Since entering the Hyborian realms the sorcerer is responsible for most of the greif. All in all it sticks to the roving group of adventurers who's lack of codes of honor and alliances is the main hook for adventures. At the moment theyre in Nordheim, at one of the players home kingdoms, investigating the strange killings of the Kings Hearthguard. I stick to the systems low magic and treasure setting. Monsters are rare and unique and have added a dash of Lovecraft Mythos.

Back