What's Traveller5 like?

I wouldn't say that many early illustrators didn't take RPG art seriously. I believe it's more a case that the style of art was new, and the artists had to develop it.

It might have crossed over into printing technology.

Have a look at old sci-fi/fantasy book covers (original editions) and magazines like Weird Tales or Amazing Stories. The style was very different and color quality was poor, and artists would not have had the art and movies of today to take inspiration from - in those days you could write about "indescribable horrors" and get away with it, like every Lovecraft book. That wouldn't work today. The things we would recognise as "fantasy art" start around the 70s with artists like Vallejo and evolved in parallel with D&D.

edit: My artist friend tells me there was a Frazetta book from the late 60s that started off the whole fantasy art genre in the 70s.

Gamerguy said:
Ok, let’s say 5.10 is cool. It needs support material. The background of the game needs supplements.

And they would all need to be cool as well. So far, it's just TAS that has the cool Traveller support books.

Moppy said:
My artist friend tells me there was a Frazetta book from the late 60s that started off the whole fantasy art genre in the 70s.

These books:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Frank%20Frazetta%20conan%20novel&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=frank%20frazetta%20conan%20novel&sc=1-26&sk=&cvid=06EE523514C04F10859865E1861E3802

Marvel's Savage Sword of Conan may predate Dungeons and Dragons.

The Seventies was also the breakout of independent comic publishers.

I still have many of the Conan comics and graphic novels from Marvel when they were originally published in the 70s. Those graphic definitely predated D&D.

Reynard said:
I still have many of the Conan comics and graphic novels from Marvel when they were originally published in the 70s. Those graphic definitely predated D&D.

Barry Windsor-Smith was a god. Maybe still is.

Going to the officially sanctioned weekly games for many years, I hear all the ranting and moaning by the players. Lame rules, not enough rules, too many rules, not my awesome homebrew rules. I've been involved with RPGs for decades. Heard and seen it all. Seriously, no game is ever good enough.

Love the one your with.

Over a thousand backers now, with a few days still to go.

The T cards and ship crew cards are an interesting development. Lots of retail potential in collectable equipment cards and the like...

Moppy said:
IMO Traveller has always been science fantasy. Even in classic there was the Ancients & their artifacts.

Amen! Just because you make your players use formulas to know how long it takes to get travel between two planets or have them roll a couple of D66s to determine freights available, doesn't make you "hard scifi". What is "hard scifi" even supposed to mean here? We have psionics, j-drives and black globes...

Back