Whats OGL Cyberpunk actually like?

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if there was a review for OGL Cyberpunk out there somewhere. And if not if I could get someones opinion on whether its worth buying or not (or you know, just your thoughts on the book etc).

If someone could help out I'd be really appreciative. Well to be honest if I get a reply I'll probably say thanks and thats about appreciative as it'll get :p

Ok ok, OGL Cybernet, I'm an idiot, I admit it.

Sorry

And I didnt log in.

*sigh*

Ah well at least I can kinda correct myself.

BTW happy new year everyone.

I saw a review on the general disscussion forum...
As for my opinion, hehe, well u always get that heheheh...
Is it worth buying? Hell ya. The book really captures the feal of Cyperpunk 2020. From the huge explosting to cybered-up punks that are trying to kill you for to get a few extra Euro from your liver.
If you liked Cyberpunk 2020 then you WILL like this game as well. Just about eveything from Cyberpunk is in Cybernet. And the Net is just as crazy as a place as ever.
But the true art behind the Cybernet book its the GM. It is s/he who takes all this great information from the book and makes it come alive. To me, when ever i hear the word "Cyberpunk" i think of in which you are severley outnumberd, wounded and down to your last bullet, and the only way out is threw them. As a GM i TRY to capture all that, but like i said, its an art that you must constanlty work at to make it just right...(kinda like being a cyber doc...sometimes you do mess up installing some dudes eye, but its all just part of the learing prossess.)
But yea, the book is good, and just like the orignal Cyberpunk, if you dont mind the little mess-ups here and there that the guys at Mongoose are working on to smooth out, then it is a really great game.
I really hope that helped. And if you have any questions, just ask them. Someone is bound to answer them. :wink:

I looked for the review but couldnt find it. I dont spose it really matters anyway, all I really needed was for someone to tell me it was actually a good book (I was already leaning towards getting it anyway).

And thanks btw ;)

Zethnar said:
I looked for the review but couldnt find it. I dont spose it really matters anyway, all I really needed was for someone to tell me it was actually a good book (I was already leaning towards getting it anyway).

And thanks btw ;)

It is a good book. Just be aware that it isn't a setting book, it's a rules book.

Thats probably more of a good point than a bad one. I've noticed that most of the setting stuff in books like this tend to be a vague timeline detailing the 'Major events' of the past 50 years or so. Most of the rest is usually left up to the GM to create anyway unless you want to buy source books.

Speaking of setting material and such, are there any plans to do a setting book for Cybernet?

Anonymous said:
Thats probably more of a good point than a bad one. I've noticed that most of the setting stuff in books like this tend to be a vague timeline detailing the 'Major events' of the past 50 years or so. Most of the rest is usually left up to the GM to create anyway unless you want to buy source books.

Speaking of setting material and such, are there any plans to do a setting book for Cybernet?

According to mongoose they have licenced several other publishers the Cybernet logo. What gets produced remains to be seen.

Socket

Other than needing a boat load of errata fixs the book is worth buying.
Just be willing to fly by the seat of your pants or wait for the errata release.

Well I orderd my copy, should have it by friday (I hope) or monday (More likely).

Now the only major hurdle is convincing my players they actually WANT to play a cyberpunk campaing :p

1) Boat load is more than a little overstating the point... :)

2) The game is certainly playable without an errata, but there are several points of confusion or missing text. Entirely my fault, which is why I spent some time recently finishing up the errata.

3) You will be seeing that document soon!

Take care all,
-August

Mongoose August said:

With all due respect, "boat load" is being kind.

2) The game is certainly playable without an errata, but there are several points of confusion or missing text.

How is the game playable when a great deal of starting feats are missing? That really kind of hampers character creation, let alone running a session.

Entirely my fault, which is why I spent some time recently finishing up the errata.

And for admitting that and doing so, I highly praise and commend you and despite my criticism of the product, you've made my top-ten list of rpg writers.

And when we do, we will have one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

-dm-

*chuckles* I feel like I was just given a bouquet of roses delivered with a right cross. :)

Muchly welcome, Darth Malice. I just want to make sure that the game is complete and playable, and I regret the number of small but important errors that crept in. Cybernet was a learning experience for me, and I think once you have the errata in hand, you'll have the game I meant to write in the first place.

-August

Mongoose August said:

2) The game is certainly playable without an errata, but there are several points of confusion or missing text. Entirely my fault, which is why I spent some time recently finishing up the errata.

Take care all,
-August
There was no insult intended at you or the great products that your puting out. Over the last few years most of my roleplay purchases have been from mongoose. I was only trying to state that the book need errata and that you could play without it if you just used your imagination.

The fact that your errata is now about to be released makes my neuralware processor spark with joy.

Back