What are some rare delicacies worth sending across the Imperium?

GamingGlen

Banded Mongoose
Besides Terran cigars, champagne, and chocolate, what other planets produce something really special?

Vilani ale?
Vland might have several things being a major home world.

ideas I have:

Basilisk eyes (from where... and wasn't there a basilisk in some Traveller bestiary?) ... dangerous like puffer fish.

Dragon wings (okay, more like buffalo wings.. maybe)

Do the Vargr have specialties? Aslan? (especially for Pirates of Drinax)

FYI: working on a spreadsheet for random character generation, mostly for NPCs, and not being limited to page size or die size I'm expanding a lot of the tables.
I'm adding special items to the mustering out benefits (e.g., 1D bottle of rare/vintage drink (2D+6 x100 ml each), art treasures (for nobles especially), land deeds (nobles only), etc.

• A mosquito, trapped in amber over millions of years, containing the genome of ancient reptiles that walked the earth aeons ago.

• Cheddar cheese.

Foodstuffs and liquors will always be in demand from other planets - at the more expensive price points. Same goes for other type of luxury goods (imported materials, clothing, jewelry, things like that).

Handmade items will appeal to some people (odd exotic things like a desk will find their way into rich people's collections). Also the normal things like art will always sell well across planets.

The average citizen will have to make do with the locally-produced equivalent for anything imported.

Other durable goods, like aircars and such MIGHT get imported, but depending on the market luxury durable good manufactures may set up shop on the planet so their goods are produced locally and they save on shipping costs. Though this will depend on the tech level and availability of local parts - some critical components might be shipped in.

394363448339c631acbe1c8b6c44b8c1--futurama-lamb.jpg

This is from a write-up I did for Heya (SM Regina 0802):

Weather on Heya is a long-term affair. Farmers allow certain crops to flourish naturally for decades while other plants' growing seasons are merely repeated in an endless cycle; the mild winter is a growing season in its own right. There are two native 'infinite' grain species which take several decades to mature and several more to reach harvest; these are used for a wine called yayo which is Heya's most prestigious export (a bottle of Vintage 1046 Summer Yayo Reserve [Grelii Vintners] recently sold on Regina for over Cr40,000). Early shoots of the new winter yayo crop are pointing to Vintage 1118 being worthy of the highest palates imaginable - the Imperial Court on Capital.

NOLATrav said:
This is from a write-up I did for Heya (SM Regina 0802):

Weather on Heya is a long-term affair. Farmers allow certain crops to flourish naturally for decades while other plants' growing seasons are merely repeated in an endless cycle; the mild winter is a growing season in its own right. There are two native 'infinite' grain species which take several decades to mature and several more to reach harvest; these are used for a wine called yayo which is Heya's most prestigious export (a bottle of Vintage 1046 Summer Yayo Reserve [Grelii Vintners] recently sold on Regina for over Cr40,000). Early shoots of the new winter yayo crop are pointing to Vintage 1118 being worthy of the highest palates imaginable - the Imperial Court on Capital.

I like Heya, to. I based a semi-mercenary regiment there (To fight off Vargr), and also did a boot-strap to raise TL to 9 and added some naval assets to also make it less palatable for the Vargr. In general I found the little subsector to have a number of interesting background locations for either adventures or establishing more depth for the adventures.

TrippyHippy said:
A mosquito, trapped in amber over millions of years, containing the genome of ancient reptiles that walked the earth aeons ago.

Given that much of the OTU is trapped in Amber, I don’t know if this would be valuable or not.

Old School said:
TrippyHippy said:
A mosquito, trapped in amber over millions of years, containing the genome of ancient reptiles that walked the earth aeons ago.

Given that much of the OTU is trapped in Amber, I don’t know if this would be valuable or not.

It’s not the amber bit that is valuable.

Back