Variant Character Sheet, Take 1 : Critique Please

TravMongooseSheet.jpg

This sheet design is made to conserve on black ink, and also come up with a screen and paper easy form for character data. Fonts are purposely blah for formatting and sizing purposes at this stage.

The Black boxes under Racial Traits are for a "Micro data" area that I am trying to develop for the final Pdf version.

I also attempted to categorize the headings in realtion to each other a little better, and added a picture area.

Not sure on the design of the Characteristic Block. Gray shading may be overboard.

Please, what do you think?

I'd increase the actual text boxes/fields and decrease the amount of wasted white space between them. From experience, I could say that having plenty of space to write in is a great thing.

I love the landscape layout, but also think there's a bit too much wasted white space. Also in the interest of creating more usable space, I'd suggest scaling down the "Name, Age etc." text at least by half. And of course, there should be an extra Characteristic row for Psi, and a blank one for adding alien characteristics.

If I may ask, what programs are using to make this sheet? I'm jealous of the rounded corners on the Characteristic block, a feature that's arduous or impossible to achieve in the word processor and graphing programs I make do with.

Psi I was going to develop into a special 3"x5" "Psi Card" from an Institute, for the player that may want to keep it a secret.

So increase text entry cell size? or number? What about moving the Category titles to the side going vertical? Or would a reduction in category title be just as good?

What do you think of the shading of categories and boxes to reduce black usage?

I like the shading. It looks good. I'm not so fond of having text in the image area, though. I think it would intrude on any image put there. Maybe the text could be smaller and beneath the box? Taken as a whole I would have to say that the sheet looks really sharp.

Be aware that I am finding that Armor and equipment can have a lot of notes, especially vacc suits and personal computers.

Take two is going to refine the two sides (personal data and Material Items) and resolve some space issues.

Does anyone have any font suggestions? Or is this classic straitforward look the proper approach? I am not sure yet what I am looking at in the book for fonts. Do any of you?

I have an Excel character sheet I just finished. Except for rolling itself up i is automatic for everything except non weapon/armor equipment. I'm going to try to put it up this weekend. Mine will be landscape too and it also has some special boxes to track training and RAD exposure.

Back