Using bardiche while prone

dndhound

Mongoose
Had a Character recently using a bardiche after getting tripped and he decided to stay prone in stead of standing up. what are the effects while prone to using a 2-h weapon? would feats such as cleave work while prone? is the only effects -4 to hit, and -4 DV?

dndhound said:
Had a Character recently using a bardiche after getting tripped and he decided to stay prone in stead of standing up. what are the effects while prone to using a 2-h weapon? would feats such as cleave work while prone? is the only effects -4 to hit, and -4 DV?

being prone has the following effects on combat:

A - Standing up from a prone position requires a move action and provokes attacks of opportunity.

B - Dropping to a prone position in your space is a free action.

C - Only melee weapons can be use while prone. Most ranged weapons can’t be used while the attacker is prone, but you can use a crossbow or shuriken while prone at no penalty.

D - Prone also bestows a -4 penalty to DV vs melee attacks but a +4 DV vs ranged attacks.

As long as the feat didn't require movement (such as great cleave) from the character I would have allowed it.

Infidel-X said:
C - Only melee weapons and most ranged weapons can’t be used while the attacker is prone, but you can use a crossbow or shuriken while prone at no penalty.

As long as the feat didn't require movement (such as great cleave) from the character I would have allowed it.

Clarifiy C for me. Only melee and most ranged weaopns can not be used while prone? how about sharing what can be used as opposed to what can not be used.

Anonymous said:
Infidel-X said:
C - Only melee weapons and most ranged weapons can’t be used while the attacker is prone, but you can use a crossbow or shuriken while prone at no penalty.

Clarifiy C for me. Only melee and most ranged weaopns can not be used while prone? how about sharing what can be used as opposed to what can not be used.

My bad...(long weekend!)

it should read:

C - Only melee weapons can be use while prone. Most ranged weapons can’t be used while the attacker is prone, but you can use a crossbow or shuriken while prone at no penalty.

Fixed

Infidel-X said:
Anonymous said:
Infidel-X said:

My bad...(long weekend!)

it should read:

Fixed

Well that sucks, I just can't see letting a 2 handed weapon be used at full power in a prone position.

Anonymous said:

While prone you may use any melee weapon at a -4 penalty, regardless of weither it is light, one handed or two handed. You may not use a bow or sling. You may use a x-bow or shuriken while prone at no penalty. The rules never specify weither or not you can use other thrown weapons besides shuriken while prone, it only says "most ranged weapons cannot be used while prone" and then specifies x-bow and shuriken as exceptions. The strictest interpretation would be to say that only the x-bow and shuriken may be used prone. I personally also alow light throwing weapons to be used while prone as a house rule but not one handed or two handed throwing weapons.

In addition while prone you take a -4 penalty to DV against melee attacks but gain a +4 bonus to DV against ranged attacks.

As a house rule if one person is prone and grappling with a non-prone opponent I give the "up" grappler a +4 bonus to grapple checks, there is no penalty for the "down" grappler.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous said:
Well that sucks, I just can't see letting a 2 handed weapon be used at full power in a prone position.

A -4 to hit is hardly "full power". It is quite a steep penalty at any level. I will wager that a two handed fighter who might otherwise power attack for 2 or 3 points will not PA if he has to fight while prone. That alone simulates the difficulty of putting your full might into a swing while prone as far as I'm concerned.

To say nothing of his standing opponent who, narurally, is also a two handed fighter and is about to pump the full +4 bonus to hit into PA. Being prone is one of the worse conditions to suffer and trip fighters are notoriously powerful, it doesn't need to be made any stronger.

argo said:
Anonymous said:

While prone you may use any melee weapon at a -4 penalty, regardless of weither it is light, one handed or two handed. You may not use a bow or sling. You may use a x-bow or shuriken while prone at no penalty. The rules never specify weither or not you can use other thrown weapons besides shuriken while prone, it only says "most ranged weapons cannot be used while prone" and then specifies x-bow and shuriken as exceptions. The strictest interpretation would be to say that only the x-bow and shuriken may be used prone. I personally also alow light throwing weapons to be used while prone as a house rule but not one handed or two handed throwing weapons.

In addition while prone you take a -4 penalty to DV against melee attacks but gain a +4 bonus to DV against ranged attacks.

As a house rule if one person is prone and grappling with a non-prone opponent I give the "up" grappler a +4 bonus to grapple checks, there is no penalty for the "down" grappler.

Hope that helps.

being prone has the following effects on combat:

A - Standing up from a prone position requires a move action and provokes attacks of opportunity.

B - Dropping to a prone position in your space is a free action.

D - Prone also bestows a -4 penalty to DV vs melee attacks but a +4 DV vs ranged attacks.

I think he covered that -4/+4 mod

argo said:
Anonymous said:

A -4 to hit is hardly "full power". It is quite a steep penalty at any level. I will wager that a two handed fighter who might otherwise power attack for 2 or 3 points will not PA if he has to fight while prone. That alone simulates the difficulty of putting your full might into a swing while prone as far as I'm concerned.

To say nothing of his standing opponent who, narurally, is also a two handed fighter and is about to pump the full +4 bonus to hit into PA. Being prone is one of the worse conditions to suffer and trip fighters are notoriously powerful, it doesn't need to be made any stronger.

Had character surrounded by 3 hyenas, first round one trips, while other two bite for min damage. player hits for 20 points and cleaves the second for 20... second round 1 bite for min damage, player hits for 20 points.

I think that you should not be able to deal full strength dam while prone. where is the leverage?? most of the two handed weapons need leverage to make the attack fully effective.

dndhound said:
I think that you should not be able to deal full strength dam while prone. where is the leverage?? most of the two handed weapons need leverage to make the attack fully effective.
But as argo pointed out, that -4 To Hit modification will affect the prone character's Power Attack potential. Of course depending on the combatants this might or might not affect the outcome of the battle (in your example it obviously didn't).

I can see why you'd like to disallow the use of 2-handed weapons while prone, same thing applies to using a shield and 1-handed weapon effectively IMO, but it's nothing I cannot live with, or house-rule against should I find the need to. :D

TTFN,

Yokiboy

dndhound said:
Had character surrounded by 3 hyenas, first round one trips, while other two bite for min damage. player hits for 20 points and cleaves the second for 20... second round 1 bite for min damage, player hits for 20 points.

Ok, now surround him with three bill wielding soldiers with Power Attack, Improved Trip, and heavy armor. Generally speaking animals have low HP and crappy DV for their CR (no CR in Conan, but still...) They are designed to, they are animals. OTOH if a character hits the ground in the middle of a melee with humanoids, watch out. In Conan especially the potential for following up a trip with a massive damage inducing PA is great. I have played my share of trip fighters in my time and I have always given the GM headaches.

As always though, your game is your game. If you feel a need to make tripping even more powerful than it already is then please, don't let some shmuck on the internet tell you different.

argo said:
Ok, now surround him with three bill wielding soldiers with Power Attack, Improved Trip, and heavy armor.

Yup, I think the problem with your example dndhound, is that the hyenas were simply no match for the character. Had it been multiple human opponents, especially with the Power Attack feat, the outcome would probably have been much different and the character might have been forced to attempt standing up. The Multiple Attackers rule in Conan really helps Power Attackers, as does having a prone opponent. :)

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yokiboy said:
argo said:
Ok, now surround him with three bill wielding soldiers with Power Attack, Improved Trip, and heavy armor.

Yup, I think the problem with your example dndhound, is that the hyenas were simply no match for the character. Had it been multiple human opponents, especially with the Power Attack feat, the outcome would probably have been much different and the character might have been forced to attempt standing up. The Multiple Attackers rule in Conan really helps Power Attackers, as does having a prone opponent. :)

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Hi, I just wanted to chime in on this discussion as I was the player in question :p and wanted to clearify a few points :roll:

I agree that it would be very difficult to wield a heavy 2 handed weapon when prone not impossible mind you just difficult and had the ref made a ruling thus would have taken the action to stand. But when we paused the game to look up the prone rules and found no ruling about using 2h while prone it was agreed that only trained fighter types could do it. Not only that but a 2nd level Barbarian with a 20 STR and 18 DEX should have very little problem :twisted: WooHoo. Thus we thought this was the end of the question. UNTIL......

......he learned this week that I had aquired a copy of the Scrolls of Skelos while he continues to search in vain :wink: He's just lookin for away to justify his revenge :shock:

For shame "J" how could you sink so low?? :cry: where did your mom and I go wrong son?? :?

Lov ya J- :p

PS - Joke

PSS - I have Skelos and you dooon't :twisted:

PSSS - I still say its reasonable not to trust the Sygian scholar that refuses to leave his tent!! :lol:

I think the rules as stated work just fine . . .

My question is how did RogueCat, a 2nd level Barb deal 20 pts consistently like that?
Str 20 = +7 damage (2 handed)

and if he CAN do that (and is also clearly wearing armor) why is the GM just throwing hyenas at him and then complaining about them getting slaughtered?

RogueCat said:
Hi, I just wanted to chime in on this discussion as I was the player in question :p and wanted to clearify a few points :roll:

I agree that it would be very difficult to wield a heavy 2 handed weapon when prone not impossible mind you just difficult and had the ref made a ruling thus would have taken the action to stand. But when we paused the game to look up the prone rules and found no ruling about using 2h while prone it was agreed that only trained fighter types could do it. Not only that but a 2nd level Barbarian with a 20 STR and 18 DEX should have very little problem :twisted: WooHoo. Thus we thought this was the end of the question. UNTIL......

Well there is going to be a house rule that prone attacks will use off-hand str damage, instead of 1.5.

......he learned this week that I had aquired a copy of the Scrolls of Skelos while he continues to search in vain :wink: He's just lookin for away to justify his revenge :shock:

Your purchase is just another sign of your addiction. I neither want or need the Scrolls of Skelos. (as the styigan is just an honest businessman, he has no need for books on the occult)

For shame "J" how could you sink so low?? :cry: where did your mom and I go wrong son?? :?

Lov ya J- :p

PS - Joke

PSS - I have Skelos and you dooon't :twisted:

PSSS - I still say its reasonable not to trust the Sygian scholar that refuses to leave his tent!! :lol:

BhilJhoanz said:

My question is how did RogueCat, a 2nd level Barb deal 20 pts consistently like that?
Because he cheats that's why. No really he does. I have watched him as a player. He is doing it because I refused to allow him to purchase an Akbitanan Bardiche

and if he CAN do that (and is also clearly wearing armor) why is the GM just throwing hyenas at him and then complaining about them getting slaughtered?
OH, I understood the Hyenas were going to get slaughterd, although they did tear up the new horses the players had just spent money on. Its the fact that a single person no matter how skilled is not going to be able to use a two handed weapon effectively enough to do FULL Str. Dam. while 3 active dogs are mauling him.

I can live with the ability to attack with the -4 to hit, I can deal with Feats such as Cleave. I have the problem with FULL Str. dam. That is why I am HouseRuling that it will be .5 Str, instead of 1.5 while swinging 2 handed weapons while prone.

Ps The Dam dealt was exagerated in my first example, I beleave it was more like 15 - 17 (2d10 + 7) I don't recall him stating that he was using power attack.

PSS he is not a cheat...well maybe a little, but in that game he was justified the elves only had 8 arrows each.

PSS Oh and "S" For reading this forum and commenting I am going to give you 100 ep..... But you will never find an Akbitanan Bardiche MWHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa...Cough Haha

BhilJhoanz said:

Because he cheats that's why. No really he does. I have watched him as a player. He is doing it because I refused to allow him to purchase an Akbitanan Bardiche

OH, I understood the Hyenas were going to get slaughterd, although they did tear up the new horses the players had just spent money on. Its the fact that a single person no matter how skilled is not going to be able to use a two handed weapon effectively enough to do FULL Str. Dam. while 3 active dogs are mauling him.

I can live with the ability to attack with the -4 to hit, I can deal with Feats such as Cleave. I have the problem with FULL Str. dam. That is why I am HouseRuling that it will be .5 Str, instead of 1.5 while swinging 2 handed weapons while prone.

Ps The Dam dealt was exagerated in my first example, I beleave it was more like 15 - 17 (2d10 + 7) I don't recall him stating that he was using power attack.

PSS he is not a cheat...well maybe a little, but in that game he was justified the elves only had 8 arrows each.

PSS Oh and "S" For reading this forum and commenting I am going to give you 100 ep..... But you will never find an Akbitanan Bardiche MWHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa...Cough Haha

BhilJhoanz said:

Not that hard when the weapon does 2d10 plus str (+7) also one of the hits was a crit. :shock:

And to that I say you're smoking crack :twisted:

RogueCat said:
BhilJhoanz said:

Not that hard when the weapon does 2d10 plus str (+7) also one of the hits was a crit. :shock:

And to that I say you're smoking crack :twisted:

You will Die Barbarian, and your little Kushite dogs too!!

You could always apply the -4 to the BAB, for purposes of determining how much an individual may power attack, if this meets your expectation as to the hampering of use of the power attack while prone.

THis way, only higher (5th level or higher) may power attack while prone.
Seems like a fair call, to me, if you wish to curb the behaviour.

Back