Update on 2300 v2.0?

Yatima

Cosmic Mongoose
Here are the 2300 release dates on your schedule:

• 2300AD Core Rulebook, PDF: April, Print: August
  • Aerospace Engineer's Handbook, PDF:June, Print: October
  • Bayern, PDF: August, Print: December

None of these PDFs hit their release date, so I guess none of the print release dates are going to hit either (Unless you mean in a subsequent year).

You're going to say that people have been sick and layout is delayed. Fine. But this is way more than that - 2300 has been pushed to the bottom of the list by Traveller kick starter projects, cancelled miniatures games, The Sea of Thieves and pretty much anything else that comes along. It's a low priority, isn't it? In the annual update you said this has been hanging around too long and needs some priority this year. Great, how is that working out? Can we have an update of any sort? I've just about given up on this ever getting released and games with no serious publication schedule tend to erode any remaining player base, thereby driving them further down the priority list.

Can you say if you will release anything in this line that's new in 2019?

J

Not in 2019. We now have new staff on board and we are beginning to get things moving again, but it will take some time to get everything on an even keel.

It is not about priority. The 2300AD core set is in its last stages of playtesting and we were looking at getting it done for an ebook release before Christmas, with the box set following early next year. However, that would have meant a four to six month gap before we could support it with, well, anything.

So, we took the decision to move it to the first half of next year where it could be joined very quickly with the Aerospace Engineer's Handbook (the 2300AD equivalent of High Guard) and a completely revised Bayern. It seemed far more sensible to have a decent weight behind the release rather than dribble things out.

The hard work is done, and now we can continue to tweak it with playtesting feedback over the holidays - the final box set will be better for it and, with proper support upon release, it will be much stronger upon launch.

I appreciate this is frustrating when you just want to dive in a play the new edition (it really will be worth it!) but after all this time there is not much longer to wait.

Thanks for the update, very much appreciated. I know Colin doesn’t frequent these forums, preferring to use Facebook. It’d be great if there was some communication strategy here on this game, for those of us no longer on Facebook.

J

Actually, you have got me thinking about just that :) It might be an idea if we had a monthly or even weekly update on all the bits and pieces we are doing, so everyone can keep up to speed on everything we do.

Let me meditate on that for a bit, and let us get better on track with our various projects, and then we will look into it!

Something like a mini 'State of Mongoose', fortnightly or something. Nothing big, just a 1-2 liner update on each upcoming product.

That would be really appreciated - it’s not knowing what you guys are thinking that is the issue.

J

Okay, we will work something out. Give us a couple of weeks or so to fully straighten out the development schedule, and then we'll start posting!

Thanks Matt - I love Mongoose Traveller, and have bought pretty much everything you've published. But 2300 is my first love and I am dying to get my hands on it :)

J

Yatima said:
Thanks Matt - I love Mongoose Traveller, and have bought pretty much everything you've published. But 2300 is my first love and I am dying to get my hands on it :)

J

We are making it extra special, just for you :)

Back