Types of Traveller Games

A

Anonymous

What kind of games do you end up running? Trader? Spy? And is it in the OTU or something different.

Just wondering, thanks!

When I was running, most of the games were either merchant, intel, or a combination of the two.

The closest I ever got to outright military-type campaigns was personnel-extraction missions - go in, get the kidnapped or stranded individual (one only), get out.

The stories I have been running are the adventures of a Search and Rescue ship contracted out by a wealthy noble family to "pick up the pieces" of failed military missions.

Currently main campaign is Scouts in a backwater (Trojan Reach)- explore, deliver, rescue, chart. Oh, and: find clues to hidden treasure, discover secrets of an (almost) dead race, uncover bananna republic conspiracy, etc etc. Players call it: "Boldly going where no man has returned from before, in one piece at least" .

It's less pregen and more tweaked than straight out of the book, but still OTU; its the classic CT+MT+other stuff pre MGT homesystem stuff. Probably going to centralize on MGT as the characters......become non-functional....;)

As a pickup for times when players are scarce, I also run an alternate one in the solomani rim (OTU): basic ex military drifters looking for work on the edge of the law" old style campaign; uses pregen and existing stuff pretty solidly for ease of use. This one is also MGT from the start.

So far I've been running:

1) General Free Trader thing
2) Escape from a Prison Planet
3) Conspiracy/Mystery & Espionage, one with two player groups - one Imps and one Zho's - who were actually playing against each other without knowing about each others existence
4) Conspiracy/Mystery & Horror
5) Exploration
6) Administration & Politics
7) Mercenaries Looking for Trouble

Current campaign mixes Administration & Politics with Conspiracy & Horror and a bit of Exploration. All campaigns so far follow loosely the same story arc - over the years, that has built quite a lot of personal mythos to draw upon. Including a lot of material, like in-character diaries the players have done during the campaigns. I suppose my campaigns are OTU with secret history / conspiracy / cthulhu-style horror elements. Started running games at in-game year 1082, now is 1105. I haven't decided whether to go towards Mega and New Era or not. There is a lot of years both in- and off-game before that decision is relevant.

My current game can be summed up in one word: Firefly. The crew of the Wawa buys and sells goods and wants to "keep flying"

Previously:

Mercs (it goes boom! it goes KAA-BOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! Play anything you want, as long as it#s loud!!)
Infiltrators (sneakysneakyhidestealshootsneakysneakyoopsgotcaughtoopsdead)
Traders (accountancy in spaaaaace oh we're bankrupt zzzzzzzz :roll: )
Plasma Gun Wedding.... (guess...)

My current campaign is a group of detached Scouts operating right on the rim of Imperial Space. This basically gives me the excuse to throw just about anything at them (other than heavy trade hauling).

So far I've run the Type S adventure (heavily modified) to get them a Scout Ship. Next they ran a special small cargo out to an Imperial outpost that turned out to be an Intelligence Operation trying to retrieve some lost Darrian technology. Of course, they got there about the time the investigators "woke up" the old tech. My players actually did a great job of taking the lead and finding a non-violent (well, less violent) resolution to the situation. Not that II appreciated their methods.

We're all looking forward to the next game.

Most of my old games were Trader games, although we did have a couple of spy games.

My last game, run this summer, was a Naval game involving PCs that were children of nobles interacting with Arbella (the daughter of Ciencia of the Imperial Regency) set in the Spinward States in the 1248 setting.

My kids were the players and we will be picking it up again during Christmas break.

This time they will be involved in expanding the IR and contact with the 4th Imperium (it probably will not go well...).

Currently drunken Airship Pirates.... Maybe. Still in the process of aquiring a starship.

In the past Traders and Op-teams, Traveller-punk to the max.

Planetary romance, stuck in the steamy terraformed jungles of Venus. (Actually ran this one twice over the period of 3 years, both amusing and vastly different games)

I'm a deconstructionist sorta GM, I kinda set a tone and let the players run.

The last game I ran was a Hard Times/Life During Wartime game with the usual PC mix, placed in Daibei. It started with a sprint to try to stay ahead of the Solomani invasion and came to an end about two in-game years later as the Imperial (but soon to be Independent Daibei) forces rolled back the Solomani through much of the sector, liberating the system the PCs had gotten stuck in. Having that kind of backdrop allowed for a mix of in-system commerce/smuggling (depending on who you talked to), drydock hijinx, and a slowly spreading business of keeping the Imperial flame going on worlds that the Solomani had "reduced" on their rapid pass through the cluster.

I've run other Hard Times "getting by" games, as well as Golden Age commerce-as-cover-for-Ducal-Agents and similar.

Well, we started a trader/smuggeler game, but quickly the players started going for merc contracts. Now they trade to buy ammo, and blow up everthing they think they can get away with.

I'm taking a page from an old Dragon Magazine article on the Imperial Bureau of Internal Security (IBIS). I like the acronym better than IRIS, and I've made the agency a sub-section of the Scout Service. Basically, my PC's will have been recruited as troubleshooters and agents in the Solomani Rim, provided with a ship (the Venture-class Frontier Courier), and will juggle missions from the IBIS office on Dingir with maintaining their cover as free traders/mercs.

The main literary inspiration of the game is McMaster-Bujold's Vorkosigan series, though visually, the clothes/uniforms, ships and tech I see as being designed by the Space:1999 Year 2 team.

I decided to do the Solomani Rim region, as I'd picked up the AstroSynthesis program a couple of years ago at GenCon, and have used the local star data to recreate the sector in 3-d. The players can plot their courses on the computer, and though some of the systems have different names than they do in the OTU, the amateur astrnomers, physics geeks, and science nerds that populate my gaming table will appreciate the attention to detail.

Lost in far space.

Started as a deep-space exploratory campaign, but when an ancient jump gate was found, the players inevitably took the plunge. They now find themselves stranded at the far end of the galaxy, faced with several totally alien race (some more advanced), lawless backwaters and nobody to scream for help to...

Back