Tripwire - elementary science!

carandol

Mongoose
Don't like to be a pedant (well, sometimes I do) but Traveller *is* supposed to be a science fiction game with at least some nod to scientific reality, so...

On page 66, when talking about blowing a pressure dome on a planet with 1.4 Gs gravity, the text says "Once damaged, the dome will vent atmosphere, causing loss of pressure, breathable air, and gravity."

Contrary to what Hollywood would have us believe, loss of atmosphere does *not* cause loss of gravity -- it's not air pressure which keeps us from floating off the Earth! Later on, it mentions how characters trying to get round in this dome after the breach may need grav belts. They won't, honest!

What do they teach them in these schools? :)

I just assumed loss of gravity because the machines that generate the gravity are not designed to operate in a vacuum. But now I see they were actually talking about the planet, and I would assume the planet generates the gravity, not any of the technology, so yeah, guess they added one too many things to that list. Put a line through it.

carandol said:

As a university lecturer, I get to see in-depth what schools teach these days and sadly, despite government claims o the contrary, very little is taught. But this is a whole topic in itself, and not the place here.

Although the high gravity should (unless solar winds have stripped it away - which shouldn't happen if the core is still molten and hence the planet's EM field still up - from what I can recall) allow an atmosphere on whatever planet is being discussed.

Assuming it's not a breathable atmosphere, unless there is a pressure differential (and I would have thought the higher g would make a higher pressure 'outside' the dome) so the contained atmo shouldn't disappear instantly - feel free to shoot my reasoning down I'm not an astrophysicist. :)

Stainless said:
carandol said:

As a university lecturer, I get to see in-depth what schools teach these days and sadly, despite government claims o the contrary, very little is taught. But this is a whole topic in itself, and not the place here.
In my case, it is not so much what they taught, as what I discovered for myself.

Looking back, I am so glad for my childhood desire to seize the initiative.

AS someone who works in school, I can tell you that we do teach alot, in fact we teach so much that a lot of it doesn't stick. Too much crammed in to too little time.

In my class, all the planets, phases of the Moon, space exploration in the afternoons of one week.

Stainless said:
carandol said:

[/i]

mrfingle said:
Although the high gravity should (unless solar winds have stripped it away - which shouldn't happen if the core is still molten and hence the planet's EM field still up - from what I can recall) allow an atmosphere on whatever planet is being discussed.

Assuming it's not a breathable atmosphere, unless there is a pressure differential (and I would have thought the higher g would make a higher pressure 'outside' the dome) so the contained atmo shouldn't disappear instantly - feel free to shoot my reasoning down I'm not an astrophysicist. :)

One thing to remember, is magnetism has nothing to do with gravitics. Totally separate forces/powers. Otherwise Grav belts would probably already be a reality.

You are right, the external atmosphere, assuming there is one, would rush in. If its a thin, or non existent atmosphere, the internal atmosphere would vent out.

As for the school issue, they are taught, just 95% of them refuse to do anything that can be called "learning".

Mithras said:
In my class, all the planets, phases of the Moon, space exploration in the afternoons of one week.
Well, at least you try. Over here many of the states treat astronomy as
optional, the teachers can introduce it if they have some spare time for
it - which they of course never do.

The results of this policy are easy to see. My previous neighbour, who had
studied at the university, asked me whether a solar eclipse was caused by
the sun moving between earth and moon ...

Mithras said:
Did you laugh out loud? Or were you more polite than that :D
As one of the very few amateur astronomers of that small town I was
used to even worse questions and had learned to take them in stride ...

[carandol] "loss of pressure, breathable air, and gravity"

Right, Ken, take it as read my character is suited up throughout the entire upcoming campaign :)

doomedpc said:

Right, Ken, take it as read my character is suited up throughout the entire upcoming campaign :)

It's going to get itchy in there!

I didn't intend to start a debate on education! :) "What do they teach them in these schools" is a quote from the professor in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".

Having said that, when I went back to university recently as a mature student, studying the History, Philosophy and Sociology of Science, I was rather bemused to find that, while the other students understood that Aristotle's laws of motion were wrong, they had no idea of how they actually worked.

doomedpc said:

Lay off the beans and cabbage.

rust said:
The results of this policy are easy to see. My previous neighbour, who had
studied at the university, asked me whether a solar eclipse was caused by
the sun moving between earth and moon ...

OMG!!!!!! That is too funny (and sad). :shock:

Back