Traveller Release Schedule/New Books

Tons of fun, especially playing early incarnations of the Ine Givar combined with a Proto-Traveller “Dark Imperium.”
Back in the day we always considered the Ine Givar to be brave freedom fighters rather than terrorists :)

In my proto-Traveller campaign I had the mustered out PCs do a few odd jobs, with several having Oberlindes connections. They were eventually offered crew positions on the OMS Bloodwell. After a few routine trade runs and side adventures they were let in on the secret
Oberlindes supports the Ine Givar and seeks freedom and independence from the corrupt, despotic Imperium.

Have the hard copies on High Guard 2022 shipped yet? I got the Robots book but have not received my hard copy of this one yet.

Well, apparently expressing that I was withholding my opinion just leaves people assuming my opinion, an oversight on my part.

I actually did like the Hard Times setting, but wasn't actually all that keen on the Rebellion, a contradiction, I'm sure, but that's the reason why I didn't want to state my opinion - and the coming of the Virus and the New Age, I did not like at all. Or maybe it was just the imposition of a new system and a change in the underlying canon - suddenly m-drives where out and Heplar was in (not that I didn't like Heplar as a concept, but introducing it then - while also deciding that all the system names in the Old Expanses had changed - and making this all happen after only 75 years, just didn't hold my interest to the extent that the deep history and layers that evolved to explain the Third Imperium - and First and Second as well).

So, not a fan of the New Era, not really a fan of the way the Rebellion occurred and how the factions played out - so it's easier just to believe in the Lorenverse. Had it been a second civil war period, with Hard Times during recovery, I would have liked that better, but that's just my opinion. If Mongoose (well, Matthew anyway - I'm just a freelance writer with opinions) decides to do a Rebellion timeline, I'm sure I'd still be interested in writing for it, in fact putting a little spin on while staying within the canon could be fun.

(and I just caught up with Sigtrygg's post, and what he says above about the Hard Times is close to what I felt. As for the FFW, I liked that, but always thought that a short war with status quo antebellum (with a broken sword worlds) was a bit of a cop-out - which again, wouldn't stop me from writing for it - but also as Sigtrygg said, it lacked a PC scale of things as well - part of why, I suspect the Sky Raiders and other Far Frontiers adventures from FASA were more compelling at that time - as a referee the FFW made you kind of a spectator trying to hang on. Loved the wargame though.)
I actually agree that the way the Rebellion was handled was not good. It was set up to be in the background but all the details and stuff was left to the GM. Along with no support for the PCs to be a part of it. But that said it did create a much more dynamic setting to work with. I think that mongoose could do a much better job with it they’ve already done more with mercs and large ships than anyone else has. I could easily see another slip case with three Hard Covers like pirates: book 1 the rebellion with the kind of merc support mongoose has proven to be able to do book 2 a comprehensive Hard Times supplement possible including rules for scavenging and jurying rigging repairs and finally book 3 a sandbox campaign Like pirates. I definitely would support a kickstarter for something like this.

As for TNE I thought the basic concept was okay my problem was that they added the virus than had to figure out some magical way to quarantine it🙄. Even after multiple retcons they sill couldn’t have it make sense. I alway felt it was GDWs way of scorching the earth so they could start from scratch and add Berserkers to the setting. Yea to me the Virus was a epic fail all around. It also made me mad that GDW kept trying to blame MegaTraveller for the Virus when it’s not a part of that edition.

Haven't got mine but I got a notice from customs so it is apparently somewhere in Sweden. Expect to get it right after new year.

I actually agree that the way the Rebellion was handled was not good. It was set up to be in the background but all the details and stuff was left to the GM. Along with no support for the PCs to be a part of it. But that said it did create a much more dynamic setting to work with. I think that mongoose could do a much better job with it they’ve already done more with mercs and large ships than anyone else has. I could easily see another slip case with three Hard Covers like pirates: book 1 the rebellion with the kind of merc support mongoose has proven to be able to do book 2 a comprehensive Hard Times supplement possible including rules for scavenging and jurying rigging repairs and finally book 3 a sandbox campaign Like pirates. I definitely would support a kickstarter for something like this.

As for TNE I thought the basic concept was okay my problem was that they added the virus than had to figure out some magical way to quarantine it🙄. Even after multiple retcons they sill couldn’t have it make sense. I alway felt it was GDWs way of scorching the earth so they could start from scratch and add Berserkers to the setting. Yea to me the Virus was a epic fail all around. It also made me mad that GDW kept trying to blame MegaTraveller for the Virus when it’s not a part of that edition.

I actually like the Rebellion as a setting. Those that wanted the old stability could stay in the safes. Those that wanted danger had new frontiers with the Hard Times and this offered opportunity for profit or setting themselves up as rulers of their own Pocket Empires amidst the chaos. There were the obvious military or merc campaigns. The actual war and fighting could have been more detailed, like those military history documentaries. As I don't like Virus or TNE, I actually would not have minded if the Rebellion had settled into a long term fractured Imperium with successor states and a no man's land of territory with long term intermittent fighting and raiding. They just needed to make factions like Lucan's less black hat.

MT had potential, it just didn't become a PC centric game until Hard Times. Ever play or run Knightfall? Railroad doesn't come in to it - monorail would be closer. As to military or merc campaigns - they get kind of boring after a while.

TNE to me was a much better setting, lots to explore, lots of stuff for PCs to do.

Just to let you all know, a new thread covering Traveller releases has been created, to keep everything neat and tidy!

Some books have moved (in both directions) as we do some reorganising behind the scenes, and some new titles have been added. As before, comments will be welcomed in the new thread.

Back