Traveller Release Schedule/New Books

I’ve got a couple of questions/wishes.
1 please tell me you used or at least took into consideration DGP’s Worldbuilders Handbook when you did your?
2 do any of the planned releases include these following sectors: Far Frontiers, Iphigenia and Verge? I ask because not only will this fill in a 3x4 section on the main Traveller map but also be Iphigenia and Far Frontiers would be a great addition. I love the details you put in your sector’s
3 is there any plans on doing any Era supplements/campaigns? I ask this in hopes of seeing a Rebellion/Hard Times Era one. To me this was the best setting for Traveller.

That’s all and thank you for the feedback

Oh something else when you update the vehicle guide please look at DGP’s COACC. To my knowledge DGP’s the only company to add comprehensive rules for Aircraft of all tech levels and I feel that this was a little lacking in the original Vehicle Handbook.

COACC was GDW not DGP. Although the majority of the MT line was written by the DGP staff it was published as GDW not DGP.
DGP did Flaming Eye, SaA, VaV, SOM, WBH and MTJ1-4

I’ve got a couple of questions/wishes.
1 please tell me you used or at least took into consideration DGP’s Worldbuilders Handbook when you did your?
2 do any of the planned releases include these following sectors: Far Frontiers, Iphigenia and Verge? I ask because not only will this fill in a 3x4 section on the main Traveller map but also be Iphigenia and Far Frontiers would be a great addition. I love the details you put in your sector’s
3 is there any plans on doing any Era supplements/campaigns? I ask this in hopes of seeing a Rebellion/Hard Times Era one. To me this was the best setting for Traveller.

That’s all and thank you for the feedback
1: Yes, the old WBH was heavily referenced, though far from religiously followed (speaking of which, religions not included, though there are/will be many other cultural characteristics). But keep in mind that when the old WBH was published we knew of exactly zero exoplanets.
2: Well, one subsector of Far Frontiers for the Sky Raiders update; the whole sector is not in the cards yet. There is also the Trailing Frontiers coming out next year - two sectors: Ley and Gateway. But that's not what you asked. I don't think Iphigenaia has been looked at much in decades and the problem with Verge is that its primarily connected to Gushemege and Ilelish, not the spinward sectors.
3: I differ to others, and will keep my comments on the rating of different eras to myself.

COACC was GDW not DGP. Although the majority of the MT line was written by the DGP staff it was published as GDW not DGP.
DGP did Flaming Eye, SaA, VaV, SOM, WBH and MTJ1-4
Actually if you read the publication data all the books excerpt the core three were written by DGP but published by GDW

Not so. The Alien books, the SoM, WBH and Flaming Eye were published by DGP - that's why they are not available electronically.
The DGP design team wrote all the GDW published MegaTraveller material up until Knightfall, thereafter DGP quit MT and Charles Gannon took over for the Hard Times and folio adventures then followed.

Sooooo.... really not trying to be pushy, but would you please release the CSC 2022 update for you can take my money!!

Y'know, before it needs to be the CSC 2023 update. :)

Not so. The Alien books, the SoM, WBH and Flaming Eye were published by DGP - that's why they are not available electronically.
The DGP design team wrote all the GDW published MegaTraveller material up until Knightfall, thereafter DGP quit MT and Charles Gannon took over for the Hard Times and folio adventures then followed.
You do realize you just said what I did that DGP wrote COACC? Maybe read my post before responding

@Geir it really doesn’t matter personal opinions on the Rebellion it/MegaTraveller was and still is one of the top rated setting/editions of Traveller. I will be honest I don’t know if your part of mongoose’s staff or not but if you don’t work for them I’m not sure why your personal opinion which from all the polls is not universal would matter. Personally I found the Rebellion/Hardtimes to be a dynamic setting with many more adventure opportunities than the classic settings

You do realize you just said what I did that DGP wrote COACC? Maybe read my post before responding

What you had written is incorrect and was an attempt to contradict me.
"Actually if you read the publication data all the books excerpt the core three were written by DGP but published by GDW
You say DGP wrote all bar the core three and GDW published them - this is incorrect.
DGP wrote the three MT core books as well as everything else up to COACC/Hard Times. There were several books that DGP wrote and published which are now beyond our electronic reach as they are owned by someone other than MWM.

@Geir it really doesn’t matter personal opinions on the Rebellion it/MegaTraveller was and still is one of the top rated setting/editions of Traveller. I will be honest I don’t know if your part of mongoose’s staff or not but if you don’t work for them I’m not sure why your personal opinion which from all the polls is not universal would matter. Personally I found the Rebellion/Hardtimes to be a dynamic setting with many more adventure opportunities than the classic settings
Geir is writing many of the books, so he would know better then most what he is talking about.

Personally I found the Rebellion/Hardtimes to be a dynamic setting with many more adventure opportunities than the classic settings
Agreed. It was a great setting. I ran both Knightfall and Hard Times way back when, and they were both a lot of fun. We also ran a Solomani Rim-based campaign set around the events of the liberation of Terra. Having the war going on all around you made for a wild and unpredictable setting. It's the Virus storyline that I don't care for, but it's canon, so we're stuck with it. However, I've found that most campaigns started in 1105 or so rarely reach the Rebellion era anyway, so you can have your classic Traveller setting regardless of whether you allow the Rebellion to occur in your Traveller universe.

Geir is writing many of the books, so he would know better then most what he is talking about.
That’s sad since whenever someone myself included states they would love to see those to done by mongoose on social media the response is overwhelming positive.

I have always been of the opinion that the thing that began the downfall of the Third Imperium as a setting was actually the Fifth Frontier War.
Prior to GWD launching this the setting was interesting, and the Imperium were if not outright bad guys they were definitely on the gray side and on the decline.
Very Fall of the Roman Empire, the collapse of the Foundation Empire or even the disintegration of the CoDominium.

There were lots of plot hooks in TAS News bulletins, and all of that went away with the dominance of the FFW plot arc.

I only started to enjoy the Megatraveller setting with the release of Hard Times, prior to this it lacked the PC scale of things.

If I were to write the Mongoose treatment for the Rebellion I would actually start it in 1116 with a group of PCs involved in Sublieutenant Trace Windhook's escape and take it from there, rather than the time jump to a starting year of 1120ish as it was presented.

Well, apparently expressing that I was withholding my opinion just leaves people assuming my opinion, an oversight on my part.

I actually did like the Hard Times setting, but wasn't actually all that keen on the Rebellion, a contradiction, I'm sure, but that's the reason why I didn't want to state my opinion - and the coming of the Virus and the New Age, I did not like at all. Or maybe it was just the imposition of a new system and a change in the underlying canon - suddenly m-drives where out and Heplar was in (not that I didn't like Heplar as a concept, but introducing it then - while also deciding that all the system names in the Old Expanses had changed - and making this all happen after only 75 years, just didn't hold my interest to the extent that the deep history and layers that evolved to explain the Third Imperium - and First and Second as well).

So, not a fan of the New Era, not really a fan of the way the Rebellion occurred and how the factions played out - so it's easier just to believe in the Lorenverse. Had it been a second civil war period, with Hard Times during recovery, I would have liked that better, but that's just my opinion. If Mongoose (well, Matthew anyway - I'm just a freelance writer with opinions) decides to do a Rebellion timeline, I'm sure I'd still be interested in writing for it, in fact putting a little spin on while staying within the canon could be fun.

(and I just caught up with Sigtrygg's post, and what he says above about the Hard Times is close to what I felt. As for the FFW, I liked that, but always thought that a short war with status quo antebellum (with a broken sword worlds) was a bit of a cop-out - which again, wouldn't stop me from writing for it - but also as Sigtrygg said, it lacked a PC scale of things as well - part of why, I suspect the Sky Raiders and other Far Frontiers adventures from FASA were more compelling at that time - as a referee the FFW made you kind of a spectator trying to hang on. Loved the wargame though.)

Last edited:
Not that it matters much, but I’ve been going 20 years backwards in time(line) lately. I was always intrigued by the FFW but yeah, it just sort of overwhelmed everything. From a gameplay point of view, I mean. Wasn’t much of a fan of the Rebellion and subsequent events. It all felt very petulant, GDW just kind of took all the toys and went home as it were and the ones we were left with didn’t work very well (looking at you, MegaTraveller and your errata).

But I’ve recently had two mini-campaigns start right before the Fourth FW ends. By getting a handful of parsecs away from the major theaters of operations it is very easy to justify errant naval forces trying to do the right thing, mercenary forces trying to prove themselves, privateers trying to make a name for themselves, Zhodani spies under every rock and everyone on edge, navigating simmering brushfire conflicts everywhere. Tin pot dictators, selfish Nobles and MegaCorp execs using the conflict as an opportunity to advance their agendas. And piracy of course - Vargr corsairs and Swordie raiders and “honest” merchants, oh my.

Neither game lasted long enough for the Emperor’s orders to actually arrive and even though the war was “over” still there could be many factions who didn’t see it that way, at least for a time. And I could have any conflict almost anywhere be the events that happened during character generation, tying the players in and setting up rivalries and resentments. No need for the players to have served at the Battle of Two Suns, there’s plenty of action to rimward.

Tons of fun, especially playing early incarnations of the Ine Givar combined with a Proto-Traveller “Dark Imperium.”

Well, apparently expressing that I was withholding my opinion just leaves people assuming my opinion, an oversight on my part.

I actually did like the Hard Times setting, but wasn't actually all that keen on the Rebellion, a contradiction, I'm sure, but that's the reason why I didn't want to state my opinion - and the coming of the Virus and the New Age, I did not like at all. Or maybe it was just the imposition of a new system and a change in the underlying canon - suddenly m-drives where out and Heplar was in (not that I didn't like Heplar as a concept, but introducing it then - while also deciding that all the system names in the Old Expanses had changed - and making this all happen after only 75 years, just didn't hold my interest to the extent that the deep history and layers that evolved to explain the Third Imperium - and First and Second as well).

So, not a fan of the New Era, not really a fan of the way the Rebellion occurred and how the factions played out - so it's easier just to believe in the Lorenverse. Had it been a second civil war period, with Hard Times during recovery, I would have liked that better, but that's just my opinion. If Mongoose (well, Matthew anyway - I'm just a freelance writer with opinions) decides to do a Rebellion timeline, I'm sure I'd still be interested in writing for it, in fact putting a little spin on while staying within the canon could be fun.

(and I just caught up with Sigtrygg's post, and what he says above about the Hard Times is close to what I felt. As for the FFW, I liked that, but always thought that a short war with status quo antebellum (with a broken sword worlds) was a bit of a cop-out - which again, wouldn't stop me from writing for it - but also as Sigtrygg said, it lacked a PC scale of things as well - part of why, I suspect the Sky Raiders and other Far Frontiers adventures from FASA were more compelling at that time - as a referee the FFW made you kind of a spectator trying to hang on. Loved the wargame though.)
I find myself agreeing with you on just about everything you posted here with one exception - I liked TNE once I started running it because it was so centered on what the PCs get up to. It was a game about exploration, rebuilding, and taking stuff off bad guys :)
I thought Virus was nonsense - I have since changed my mind.
I didn't like that the New Era was so close to the old era - more time should have passed IMHO.

Back to the Rebellion - as I said I would involve PC scale action right from the start - a few of us considered the Lt Windook scenario in some detail. The is a lot more PC scale stuff that could go on during that 1116 to 1120 window.

Back