Todays AAR or Thou Shalt Not Dogfight Klingons

McKinstry

Mongoose
Played 1,000 points per side. Feds has 1 x BC, 2 x CA, 4 x FF versus 4 x D6 and 4 x F5 for the Klingons.

The models were all 2400 series.

4 x 6 table that contained 2 x density 8 asteroid fields, 2 x gas clouds, 1 x comet, 1 x nebula.

The Federation heavies stuck together and crippled two D-6's that came on frontally, tried to back up and duel but got too close (as in 7") but could not catch the cripples and kill them as they weaved in, out and around the terrain. On the flanks the Fed FF's got their heads handed to them getting too far away from heavy support and getting seriously out maneuvered by the F-5's and a D6. Once a couple of FF's died the initiative sink with 8 Klingons verus 5 Feds was such that the Fed heavies broke off but not until all 4 Fed FF's were destroyed.

The Fed commander (me) made a mistake letting the FF's get pulled away from the big boys. The FF's are a support choice and got butchered on their own against the nimbler F-5's.

I seriously grew to dislike F-5's. So much so that I may get many for my Klingon fleet. :twisted:

The Klingon player was new, enjoyed the rules greatly and will be picking them up. He really liked the dance and snipe style of play and I think I will regret recruiting him. ( I may have to buy Kzintis just to make him behave.)

One rule note/issue - When shooting at a ship in a dust cloud while on 'close blast door' special action we allowed two separate 5+ stealth saves, one for the cloud and one for the blast doors. I think that's right?

Drones - As I recall, very few hit. The Fed combination thing worked when needed but Klingon throw weight isn't that big of a challenge. For the Feds, only the BC had anything of note to throw and the Klingon ADD worked as advertised.

McKinstry said:
The Federation heavies stuck together and crippled two D-6's that came on frontally, tried to back up and duel but got too close (as in 7") but could not catch the cripples and kill them as they weaved in, out and around the terrain.
How were crippled D6s "weaving"? Turn rate doubles and max speed 6" when crippled?

Otherwise, sounds like a good report. Nice to see the F5 get some action, I tried a trio out in a game I played and they did pretty well, they can take impressive punishment thanks to those forward shields. One took an entire alpha strike from a centerlined Gorn CM at point blank range was reduced from unharmed to one point of damage away from crippled, and other frigate would've boiled away! :shock:

GalagaGalaxian said:
McKinstry said:
The Federation heavies stuck together and crippled two D-6's that came on frontally, tried to back up and duel but got too close (as in 7") but could not catch the cripples and kill them as they weaved in, out and around the terrain.
How were crippled D6s "weaving"? Turn rate doubles and max speed 6" when crippled?

Otherwise, sounds like a good report. Nice to see the F5 get some action, I tried a trio out in a game I played and they did pretty well, they can take impressive punishment thanks to those forward shields. One took an entire alpha strike from a centerlined Gorn CM at point blank range was reduced from unharmed to one point of damage away from crippled, and other frigate would've boiled away! :shock:

Not so much weaving as ducking into the comets tail and through an asteroid field. It just felt like the slippery buggers were constantly staying out of the front arc, mostly because thanks to the combination of initiative and at turn 3, 8 ships to the Feds 5, they were always moving after the Feds and could get out of photon arc.

You fed ships must've been at funny angles if a ship that can only choose between moving up to 6" forward or 4" back with no turning ability whatsoever can get out of photon arc. :lol:

Or maybe you were more worried about positioning against the ships still capable of fighting back.

Once he had an advantage in ships, he could likely move the damaged ships last and try and use the terrain to screen ships - sounds like the Klingon player really took to it.

Diving into an Asteroid field is risky but does give you a 5+ save versus damage. yes ypur are correct you would get a 5+ terrain save and any hits that get through you would get a second Close balst doors save against them as well.

few thoughts on your game:

Nebulae normally cover the whole table rather than a specific point - and make it a very different game.

When you say very few Drones hit - I assume you mean they rolled low for numbers of hits as they auto hit?

Totenkopf said:
I'm assuming he meant with Klingon ADD and Fed combined racks that very few drones made it through the defenses.

Yes. Very few made it through the defenses. As best as I can recall, the only drone hits were on the Fed FF's when they were on their last legs anyway with shields gone, phasers already fired and the drone rack empty.

Only one D-6 really pulled off the immortal escape trick by tucking into the tail of the comet and staying there rolling 5+ saves at will. The other ducked straight through the asteroid field right next to it, passed the CQ test and the Feds never did get circled around to the other side. We treated the asteroid field as blocking line of site and it never got fired upon again, it just sat there cowering and trying all hands on deck SA's.

The D-6's really can't stand nose to nose with a Fed CA in photon range even with the enhanced front shield (but it helps) however, a healthy D-6 moving after the Fed CA unless hemmed in by terrain or other ships can usually avoid the front arc or at least get further away than 8".

We just filled on 12 x12 square in the corner as the nebula. Fighting the whole game in one was a bit more than we wanted.

McKinstry said:
We just filled on 12 x12 square in the corner as the nebula. Fighting the whole game in one was a bit more than we wanted.

Which is why the terrain entry for it comes with a "veto" of it only getting used if both players wish* to you both could've just rerolled it. Though a "mini-nebula" does present an interesting terrain feature. :)

*Which means Romulans (and probably Gorns, nebula is unkind to plasma) will never be caught dead in a Nebula, cause they'll be caught and dead in one if they do. :lol:

Back