Thulsa Doom!

Neeklus

Mongoose
Is there (or are there going to be) any stats for Thulsa Doom in Conan's age?

Additionally, what are the opinions on the films representation of the sorcerer? In most of the texts I have read (Kull and Conan), the man was very "undead" looking.

While the monstrous and horrific are a part of Conan, I much prefer more human foes. I for one feel more threatened by the raw power and influence of James Earl Jone's portrayl to that of a typical skull monsters.

One last thing, did the mountain of power (from the movie) ever feature in any of the stories?

Thulsa Doom is actually the nemesis of Kull, not Conan.

Conan's Thulsa is Thoth Amon.

Not sure if Mongoose would have the license for Thulsa....

HLD

Neeklus said:
Is there (or are there going to be) any stats for Thulsa Doom in Conan's age?

My namesake has some (brief) stats here:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/characters/thulsa_doom.htm

:)

- thulsa

High Lord Dee said:
Thulsa Doom is actually the nemesis of Kull, not Conan.

Conan's Thulsa is Thoth Amon.

Not sure if Mongoose would have the license for Thulsa....

HLD
In fact Thulsa Doom was developped by Lin Carter as a foe to Kull as de Camp developped Thoth Amon as a foe to Conan. Though I don't like what de Camp made out of it in Conan of Aquilonia, I quite appreciate the short story that L. Carter worte about Thulsa Doom (probably because it is far shorter with 30 pages than the 250 pages of Conan of Aquilonia).

Hmm, I think Thulsa Doom may have appeared in some of the Conan comics. I can't remember.

But anyways, he couldn't be used, as say the movies villain, in any Mongoose publication?

Neeklus said:
Hmm, I think Thulsa Doom may have appeared in some of the Conan comics. I can't remember.

But anyways, he couldn't be used, as say the movies villain, in any Mongoose publication?

You are probably right. But then again, Kull appeared in a Conan story as well. You could figure a way to bring him into Hyboria if you really wanted to. Afterall, he was the most powerful sorceror in his day.

Very similar to Thoth Amon though. Not sure you would need both and I am sure Thoth would not be too happy about Thulsa showing up. Hmmm...sounds like a good adventure in the making.

Wasn't Thulsa Doom supposed to be an Archeronian(?) And anyways, if you were to put the movie into game-terms, where would the Mountain of Power have been located?? Stupid question, but I always wondered :D

As I might have mentioned on the boards before (as well as the Conan.com boards), I love the first film, CtB, but, as I found out here, most members don't.

It is uncomfortable, if not somewhat foolish, to force the round peg of Milius' opus magnum into REH's square hole (okay, stop giggling. :roll: ).

I wondered the same thing a few months ago. I assumed that the Conan-recently-from-the-dead-and-twirling-the-sword scene [at approx. 1:24:13] was on the western shore of the Vilayet. So, I basically locate the Mountain of Power in the Mts. due west.

The Gazetteer says:

Burial Mounds of the Dead Kings:---located half a league north of the Mountain of Power, on the western shore of the Vilayet Sea. The mounds are the tumuli of the sort where people bury their royalty. On the far side of the mounds are the eons-old ruins of a long forgotten city. The necropolis is said to have been there since the days of the Titans. (Conan the Barbarian)

Power, Mountain of:---Thulsa Doom's fortress-temple, located on a conical peak near the Vilayet Sea, due east of Zamora. On the west side of the peak is a bowl-shaped natural amphitheater. The mountain contains a vast network of chambers, some natural, others man-made, and is the home of an ancient race of cannibalistic troglodytes. (Conan the Barbarian)

Yeah I know the movie is not canon but I love it anyway!

The tower the three snuck into was located in Zamora. I agree with Yogah on his locales as well.

I do remember seeing Thulsa Doom in an old Conan the Barbarian issue. He had the face of a skull and a red hooded robe. I remember thinking how different that was from James Earl Jones.

Yeah he looked completely different in the comics. I remember he was in Kull but I don't remember him in the Conan Marvel run but I'm sure he was.

1989_2_03.jpg

If I remember correctly, de Camp placed the Mountain of Power just south or southwest of the Vilayet in his adaptation/novelization of the CtB movie script. De Camp's version of Thulsa Doom was a serpent man, while the original, Kull's nemesis, was a skeletal sorcerer, or a lich.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/thulsa.htm

The Comic version of Thulsa Doom is going to make an appearance in our Hyborian campaign. There is a lot of USEFUL game material from the marvel universe site. We've been using the comic pictures and themes for years in our Hyborian games (we use SRD with a smattering of the RPG).

Jay H
Lakewood, CO, USA

Back