Threatened Areas, Opportunity Attacks, Touch Attacks

A

Anonymous

Hi,

The Lone Wolf RPG uses the D20 system, including a slightly stripped down combat system. I would just like clarifications on the following:

Am I right in assuming there is no concept of 'threatened areas' in Lone Wolf? It isn't mentioned at all in the Combat chapter.

What about attacks of opportunity or AOOs? Since AOOs stem from the concept of 'threatened areas,' are there no AOOs in Lone Wolf? This is a bit confusing since the description for the Concentration skill mentions AOOs (p. 88); but, again, there is no mention of AOOs in the Combat chapter. Can someone from Mongoose please clarify this?

What about touch attacks? Am I right in assuming there are no touch attacks in Lone Wolf except when the spell description specifically states that the magical attack ignores armour and shield bonuses? What about attacks from and attacks against incorporeal creatures?

Hoping for clarifications from Mongoose or August Hahn,
Mars

Why did that Smiley face appear in the fourth paragraph?

Anyway, thats supposed to read: 'the description for the Concentration skill mentions AOOs (p. 88);'.

Cheers,
Mars

well any time you type a 8 and a ) together you get a 8)

As for threatened areas, I am still reading my lone wolf book. Our groups list of games is quite full, and lonewolf may have to wait till winter sets in. :(

L8r,
PsyJack

Mars said:
What about attacks of opportunity or AOOs? Since AOOs stem from the concept of 'threatened areas,' are there no AOOs in Lone Wolf? This is a bit confusing since the description for the Concentration skill mentions AOOs (p. 88); but, again, there is no mention of AOOs in the Combat chapter. Can someone from Mongoose please clarify this?

What about touch attacks? Am I right in assuming there are no touch attacks in Lone Wolf except when the spell description specifically states that the magical attack ignores armour and shield bonuses? What about attacks from and attacks against incorporeal creatures?

Hoping for clarifications from Mongoose or August Hahn,
Mars
The concentration skill probably should refer to someone readying an attack in case of spellcasting - it was probably taken straight from the SRD.

As for touch attacks, I think that incorporeal creatures still have touch attacks.

Mars said:
What about attacks of opportunity or AOOs?

No AOOs as well. I was told that those few references were left by accident. In the Italian forum we discussed an optional rule to mantain something similar to an AOO in the one case of running away from combat, since in the gamebooks you couldn't just turn your back to your opponent and run away like that, but I don't know whether Michele intends to include that in the Italian core book or simply in the FAQs or something.

As for incorporeal creatures, in the bestiary description it is said that they ignore any physical armor.

parvatiquinta said:
No AOOs as well. I was told that those few references were left by accident. In the Italian forum we discussed an optional rule to mantain something similar to an AOO in the one case of running away from combat, since in the gamebooks you couldn't just turn your back to your opponent and run away like that, but I don't know whether Michele intends to include that in the Italian core book or simply in the FAQs or something.

That is a nice homage to the books, I think I will do the same.

Regarding Touch Attacks, Nets also use the touch attack rules.

As for AoOs, I agree the references in the book are accidental (I think I saw one somewhere else as well). I still use most of the standard d20 combat options IMC, however.

Back