The wild north of Hyboria, What's your interest level?

A

Anonymous

I was just bumming around in thought, and realized that a long tiome ago that although the norhtlands were never Conan's preferred destinations, they are some of the most wild and magincal with the crazy Hyperborean sorcerers, ice worms, Viking type nutballs, blood feuding cimmerians, cattle- raids, slave raids, Ben Morgh, border kingdom petty chiefs, northern aboriginal/ neanderthal cannibals :?: , and Brythonian slave girls (yeahh baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
It would be terrific to see a supplement involving the northern realms (including northern Turanian outposts). The magic of the nordheimer pantheon, Hyperborian death magic, etc...
I know Mongoose has a lot on its plate, but would y'all support a product like that?

A sourcebook on Hyperborea and Nordheim would be quite interesting indeed.
Those guys living in the mountains are called "pithecanthropoids" :wink:

Yep...me too. I'm sure a better job could be done by Mongoose on playing in cold/snow than the dren Wizards just put out recently.

Add it to the list, Mongoosians...:lol:

Sutek said:
Yep...me too. I'm sure a better job could be done by Mongoose on playing in cold/snow than the dren Wizards just put out recently.

Add it to the list, Mongoosians...:lol:
Wasn't it rather a sourcebook on the Eastern part of the realms ?
That makes me think that a sourcebook on the Turanian Empire would be great too.

I'am wondering what Mongoose will prepare for us next year...

I would love this sourcebook!

(It should be noted, I've greatly enjoyed all the previous Conan books, so my unquenchable thirst for more will devour any sourcbook put out!)

BullBear said:
I would love this sourcebook!

(It should be noted, I've greatly enjoyed all the previous Conan books, so my unquenchable thirst for more will devour any sourcbook put out!)
We have to be patient: there are approximately 32 nations in the Hyborian Age, perhaps 25 if you put some small countries with the greater neighbours, like Khauran with Koth. But it still makes a lot, not even counting the cities (I'am sure Tarantia will be published one day).
If we consider that Mongoose publishes 6 Conan books a year, we still have time to see the whole nation collection.

The King said:
Wasn't it rather a sourcebook on the Eastern part of the realms ?

No, actually WotC put out this sourcebook earlier this year supposedly covering cold environs and what it turned out to be was about 20% that and 80% prestige classes, weird new feats and strange cold related spells and monsters. Very disappointing - left it right where I found it on the store shelf.

Sutek said:
No, actually WotC put out this sourcebook earlier this year supposedly covering cold environs and what it turned out to be was about 20% that and 80% prestige classes, weird new feats and strange cold related spells and monsters. Very disappointing - left it right where I found it on the store shelf.
I just see DD from far distance. I stopped with ADD 2nd ed. in 1992 and only came back with Conan OGL.
I believe Mongoose could have used the worst system for Conan I still would have bought the sourcebooks as I did for the previous Conan material (TSR and Gurps). As I am not that silly I resold both ADD adventures (Conan unchained and Conan against darkness) that were truly disappointing but I still highly recommand the 3 adventures TSR made for its Conan Game.

There's also a product from a company called Monkey God Enterprises or somesuch called Frost and Fur. It came out about a month or two ahead of the WotC product and reviews of it elswhere give it good marks. I'm sure Mongoose can do as well or better...besides, what else have they got to do? It's their bidniss ain't it? :D

I have loved the novels for years and I believe that the game reflects the novels excellently, I would purchase the source book just for my enjoyment even without a game to run it in.

Sutek said:
Thanks, I'll try to track those down and check them out.
Here are the references (just in case):
CN1 - Conan The Buccaneer
CN2 - Conan The mercenary
CN3 - Conan the triumphant (with Vallejo Cover)

The last one is a direct adaptation from the book with some changes but with an excellent polical intrigue (the struggle for the throne) and probable mass combat.
All are however easily suitable for the Mongoose Conan and would make superb adventures.

Great book about the Hyperborian, Brythunian, northen Vilayet, and Northen magic. Just thought to add it in here for peeps who were interested in the northlands. Great Story, not-so Howardian (due to a dimensional gate), but good read about the architecture, fighting styles, magic styles, names, and genre. Essentially very 'Rohan'-esque (LOTR).
Just my 2 cents.

Galt Hagar's Son said:
Great book about the Hyperborian, Brythunian, northen Vilayet, and Northen magic. Just thought to add it in here for peeps who were interested in the northlands. Great Story, not-so Howardian (due to a dimensional gate), but good read about the architecture, fighting styles, magic styles, names, and genre. Essentially very 'Rohan'-esque (LOTR).
Just my 2 cents.
Could also be close to the ambiance of Howard Cormac Mac Art.

Back