The Type-Y kind of Yachts we should be seeing

Someone say Yacht..
Moontoad turning fugly to nice..

redyachtsmall.jpg

atpollard said:
The Type Y is not my favorite design either, but as an interesting fact ... the Heesen Yachts Launches Project Nova Yacht you linked to is about 50 meters long, making it no greater than about 8 meters wide by 8 meters tall. A 50m x 8m x 8m bounding box encloses 3200 cubic meters. At 1 dTon = 14 cubic meters, that makes that yacht in the link less than 228 dTons (probably closer to 140 dTons).

So the Type Y is, in fact, not too small.
It is just too ugly. ;)

It's not the size of your yacht (ahem...), but the layout and the amenities. I have no issue about the specific size of the yacht, and there are far larger yacht's than the Nova. But yachts, unless you are using the redneck definition of them, are luxurious playthings of the wealthy and famous.

But, to be fair, the Type-Y displacement also includes a great deal of space that is allocated to fuel and not a spa, hot tubs, sun deck, etc. So when comparing starships to naval ships, the size comparison isn't quite a fair one.

I think one [problem is the Pavlovian expectation that once the word yacht is mentioned, you're thinking of the default two hundred tonne hull that's been legacied.

Pleasurecraft gives off a different vibe, or even pleasure cruiser.

I tend to think the term cabin cruiser would be on the lower end of the market.

Reynard said:
Seriously folks, GIVE your players and the very low level noble player- character a destroyer fully armed but with wood panel appointments, a spa and luxury staterooms and let them go trading. Rule Zero.

Not just wood paneling. Hardwood decking (over the actual plates, no doubt), with expensive throw rugs over those...just to show that you can afford to spend on hardwood flooring and then cover it up with still more money. Hardwood wall paneling with faux gaslight lamps for that "steampunk" asethetic. Butlers (stewards) in full-on butler attire. And/or maids in traditional maid outfits. Overstuffed armchairs and ottomans. Elephant truck umbrella stands. Walls lined with real books. And, of course, a few stuffed trophy heads adorning the walls.

Condottiere said:
I don't think any of us have given up on that indoor Olympic pool.

Speaking of which, Passengers is worth watching if you haven't already. That's my idea of an "infinity pool".

3A7B816C00000578-3946736-image-a-102_1479406966141.jpg

Reynard said:
Seriously folks, GIVE your players and the very low level noble player- character a destroyer fully armed but with wood panel appointments, a spa and luxury staterooms and let them go trading. Rule Zero.
The lowest level noble is a knight, so what does a knight take into combat? How does he rescue the fair maiden? One thing a knight needs is a stable for his horse, so a knight's yacht needs to include that, he needs a display room for all of his trophies, he needs a place to hang up his armor and store his weapons.

phavoc said:
The Type-Y as presented in the books over various iterations has always seemed wrong to me.

Why? It's a small privately owned starship. In the light of the real world it makes perfect sense, yachts largely are median performance vessels. Looking at other commercial ship's in it size class it's performance makes perfect sense.

phavoc said:
It's boring, it's small, it's.... everything that a plaything of the rich and famous should NOT be.

Here's a new model being launched that looks like a yacht should - the plaything of the rich!

http://robbreport.com/boating-yachting/heesen-yachts-launches-project-nova-christened-home?utm_source=wwd.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_module

Now here I see why you are having a disconnect, Again let's look at the real world and in this case the real world refers to your example as a Superyacht which in general is a completely different set of vessels. As in the the real world this broad category of vessels are largely One-offs, spec'd out by their purchaser and his or her specific requirements. Point in case, a friend of mine Captain's one of two yachts owned by a Saudi Prince. The ship he is captain of is basicly a very luxurious Passenger Liner (figure J1 or j2 and M1. And numerous associated subcraft and vehicles) The other Yacht is a Largish Racing Sailboat, Designed and built for speed, thus in Traveller terms probably multiple gs Maneuver and very austere accommodations. And yet they are both referred to as Yachts.

I'm betting the big slow Yacht is quite luxurious while the racing yacht is "just" luxurious.

To me the Type Y is equivalent to a 60' cabin cruiser. It's nicely furnished, but not what I would consider the plaything of the nobility and wealthy.

Putting it in car terms, the Type Y is a Chevy (albe it a high end one like say a Cadillac, but it's a Chevy and thus it's nice, but average). A nobles yacht would be more akin to a Porsche, or even a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. Uncommon, luxuruous, and meant to be as much of a statement of your wealth as a means to getting from A to B.

phavoc said:
I'm betting the big slow Yacht is quite luxurious while the racing yacht is "just" luxurious.

It really depends, do you find Speed to be a Luxury? Don't get me wrong no expense was spared on the racer, but any Luxury that costs extra mass is discarded. That flip-down berth that would be made of expensive wood is replaced with lighter more expensive carbon fiber, and the like.

phavoc said:
To me the Type Y is equivalent to a 60' cabin cruiser. It's nicely furnished, but not what I would consider the plaything of the nobility and wealthy

Exactly.

Yachts for Nobles in my games are converted from Naval vessels often something akin to the Patrol Cruiser.

While the Wealthy Industrialist will probably something akin to the 600 dTon Liner.

phavoc said:
To me the Type Y is equivalent to a 60' cabin cruiser. It's nicely furnished, but not what I would consider the plaything of the nobility and wealthy.
At MCr ~60 (≈US$ 300 million?) I would say it's for the wealthy only...

"Yachts for Nobles in my games are converted from Naval vessels often something akin to the Patrol Cruiser."

The Harrier from Pirates of Drinax, from the descriptions of its interior, might have been a yacht before it was damaged and lost.

AnotherDilbert said:
phavoc said:
At MCr ~60 (≈US$ 300 million?) I would say it's for the wealthy only...

The only problem with comparing pricing of toys in reality vs. toys in Traveller is that Traveller is a game with a made-up everything system that doesn't pass the reality sniff test.

How many yachts are on the water today around the world? Ok, part of that answer depends on how you wanna define a 'yacht' :) But everywhere you look you see private aircraft in the -$20-$50 million dollar range. I found a list of the worlds top 200 yachts (all in the Type-Y equivalence - http://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/the-register/top-200-largest-yachts--25027).

There's no reason to expect that the wealthy of the 52nd century aren't buying ships of the same equivalent.

Condottiere said:
Yachts are also aspirational.

Half hip hop videos seem to be filmed on them.

Like this one (notice - four letter words were used in the making of this video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU

These guys are on a boat, drinking Sanata champagne wearing flippy-flopies. And T-Pain.

Back