The Spider-God's Bride

Hi , i try it buy The Spider-God's Bride
from http://www.lulu.com/content/5259240
but it won't allow me to register that page or continue to payment option
so is there anyother place to buy that book???
where i can pay it by using paypal.

Haven't tried Lulu, but if PDF is any option for you, I'd suggest that because it's much cheaper, _and_ the author (thulsa) gets more out of it, and you save all that shipping cost.
Of course having to print out a PDF is annoying but nothing is perfect...

merkkari-masa said:
Why do you ask there and don't ask Lulu directly?

Because i try it to find another shop
and wonder if anyone else had same problem?
and Lulu email support kick me always back to register page
doh!

merkkari-masa said:
Because i try it to find another shop
and wonder if anyone else had same problem?
and Lulu email support kick me always back to register page
doh!
Did you try with another product to see if the same problem occurs. If that's the case, this is almost certainly due to the browser or the cookie setup.

merkkari-masa said:

Hi, sorry to hear you are having troubles ordering the book. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that, as Lulu handles everything from ordering to printing and shipping. You have to work out the issue with Lulu's support.

As mentioned, if you want the PDF, you can pay me by PayPal and I will ship you the file directly, no problem. Although I have to say that the printed version is of high quality (paper, printing, binding) and better to read while you are reclining in your favorite chair! :)

- thulsa

@Thulsa...

Since most of Howard's Conan stories are in the public domain, can't you publish an actual Conan adventure under the d20 3.5 license?

It wouldn't be Mongoose Conan, since you're not licensing that system. But, it seems you could publish under the 3.5 deal--making it close to what Mongoose is putting out.

Supplement Four said:
@Thulsa...

Since most of Howard's Conan stories are in the public domain, can't you publish an actual Conan adventure under the d20 3.5 license?

It wouldn't be Mongoose Conan, since you're not licensing that system. But, it seems you could publish under the 3.5 deal--making it close to what Mongoose is putting out.

Hey that's a great point!
REH is on Wikisource, 3.5 is open and free and as long as we give credit where credit is due, I don't see how CONAN Properties could stop anyone, or either WOTC, right?

Supplement Four said:

As far as I know, even if the Conan stories are in the public domain, the rights to do derived works (movies, games, comics, books/pastiches, etc.) using the setting/characters are still held by Conan Properties.

Which means (if my interpretation is correct) that anyone can (re-)publish the original REH stories, but you can't (for example) publish a Conan game.

- thulsa

thulsa said:
As far as I know, even if the Conan stories are in the public domain, the rights to do derived works (movies, games, comics, books/pastiches, etc.) using the setting/characters are still held by Conan Properties.

I do believe that the REH's Conan stories (and some Kull and other REH stories) are in the public domain in the US. But, I've also read that Conan Properties is fighting it...or somehow it's a legal quagmar.

I know that one can find all of the REH stories on the net, and the site that publishes them claims that they are, indeed, in the public domain.

Which means (if my interpretation is correct) that anyone can (re-)publish the original REH stories, but you can't (for example) publish a Conan game.

I didn't think that applied to movies. Anyone can take a REH Conan story and turn it into a film.

But...Conan Properties owns the rights to the Conan figure--the image and all. So, it becomes sticky.

Remember, back in the 80's, when the two James Bond movies came out the same year. Sean Connery returned in Never Say Never, and Roger Moore continued in Octopussy. That was the same kind of deal. The producers of Never Say Never could make that one story since they had the rights to Thunderball (Never Say Never was just a remake of Thunderball). But, they couldn't continue with the James Bond character in new stories because those rights were owned by the producers of Octopussy.

By the same token, I was thinking it might be legal to publish a Conan game module, if it stuck to one of REH's stories and wasn't a new Conan adventure, under the d20 3.5 license.

But, hey, what do I know. I'm no lawyer.

Is there a copyright lawyer in the house? Anybody know more about this type of thing?

Thulsa? Do you have any friends that can look into this?

I didn't think that applied to movies. Anyone can take a REH Conan story and turn it into a film.

You can, sure, but prepare to get your pants sued off. While certain of the stories are in public domain, Paradox has trademarked the name "Conan" as it applies to the REH character. So, you could make a Conan movie only if it had nothing at all to do with REH's character or the Hyborian Age. AFAIK, they're in the process of trademarking virtually everything not nailed down in the stories.

Though I don't know for certain, I'd bet Mongoose has an exclusive license to produce RPG material based upon REH's Conan. A person could probably distribute a new Conan scenario for free, but the minute they accepted money for it they'd be stepping on Mongoose's license.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, either, so I could be wrong . . .

Best,

Scott

ScottOden said:

You can, sure, but prepare to get your pants sued off. While certain of the stories are in public domain, Paradox has trademarked the name "Conan" as it applies to the REH character. So, you could make a Conan movie only if it had nothing at all to do with REH's character or the Hyborian Age. AFAIK, they're in the process of trademarking virtually everything not nailed down in the stories.

Though I don't know for certain, I'd bet Mongoose has an exclusive license to produce RPG material based upon REH's Conan. A person could probably distribute a new Conan scenario for free, but the minute they accepted money for it they'd be stepping on Mongoose's license.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, either, so I could be wrong . . .

Best,

Scott

Well I am a lawyer, not a copywright lawyer, but a litigator with 200+ trials and I am plucky enough to propose this:

1. Set up a corporation (Why, well if they are successful in getting a judgment against us, I'd rather have the Corporations assets taken, not mine or yours).
2. Start publishing anything and everything Conan (obviously not copying any of the modern Conan stuff such as the Tv series, cartoon, movies, or recent pastiches).
3. Be sure to credit the reflects the author "based on a Character created by Robert E. Howard"
4. Let Conan Properties, Inc. come after the corporation.
5. To allege copyright infringement they will need to allege WITH SPECIFICITY what provisions the corporation is violating. I can't see how they can see a brand new story of Conan romping about in the Fleshpots of Zamboula ("Conan the Horndog") is violative.
6. I'd be willing to wager the corporation's entire assets (maybe a laptop and an internet address) that even if we did film remake of a classic published story, we'd be ok.
7. Again, the main hurdle is overcome: The cost of representation is free (I'm a lawyer in good standing in Florida and the Federal courts of the USA) and the main concern about them coming after our collective asses is null and void if we set up a corporation, which protects the shareholders assets). Again, I issue a challenge out there to you all, come join me, come fight with me. If you want to see my credentials, PM me and I'll direct you to my resume and Bar credentials.

I would think that this would be a fun fight, frankly I don't think they can do much more than bark, because they have no legal bite.

maniyata said:
What are the different ways to announce the entrance of the bride and groom on their engagement day? My sister is getting engaged and I need to help her to make a script for DJ. Can someone give me some ideas what DJ should say when Bride and Groom enters the room?

??????????

maniyata said:
What are the different ways to announce the entrance of the bride and groom on their engagement day? My sister is getting engaged and I need to help her to make a script for DJ. Can someone give me some ideas what DJ should say when Bride and Groom enters the room?

A simple decapitation should be enough to get everyone's attention.

W.

I'd say if it's on Lulu, it can't be on Amazon, but by all means try it out and do a search on the amazon.uk site, can't be rocket science.

In order for the book to be available on Amazon, it need an ISBN code. Lulu has a program that helps inspiring publishers to get their books an ISBN code, and have them available on Amazon. The only snag is that it cost money. From my understanding, the cost is to get the book registered, and so they can support a stock of the books. Having the stock would allow the book to be marked down so books stores can sell them for a profit. This program should only be used if there is enough demand for the product, and a need to get the product in the open market.

I remember when Dan Proctor of Goblinoid Games had a fund drive to get Labyrinth Lord (a retro-clone of B/X D&D) its own ISBN. He was able to raise the money by selling special edition hardcover copies, with personalized certificate (a bit of bragging rights) marked up to $50 (at the time the hardcover cost about $18, but the books are usually sold at base cost). The success of the game was do to the availability of the document as a free file, disenfranchisement with newer the D&D editions, the availability of a popular out-of-print game, and the better quality of editing and layout. So there was a genuine need to get the game out the open market. The stars was in alignment, because the fund drive was a big success!

Lulu as become quit a hub for indie "man off the street" publishers, and there are even a few RPG storefronts. I would not be surprised to see 3rd party modules and supplements for MGP games produced through Lulu - if fact, it might be vary beneficial to the Goose! :wink:

Seeker said:
Someone said this is available on Amazon. Is it on Amazon UK ? I'd buy a copy if so.

Well, I said so in this post:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39987

The book is on Amazon.com (and the price is exactly the same as the price on Lulu.com):

http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Gods-Bride-Xoth-Net-Publishing/dp/B00262UH8A/

Unfortunately it is not on Amazon UK.

Have you considered the PDF version? It's USD 10.

- thulsa

Back