The new Secrets of the Ancients

Lurking Grue

Banded Mongoose
I'm a bit out of the loop, so can anyone fill me in on how the new version of the Secret of the Ancients is going to differ from the old version? If I have the 1e version (and the CT version), what new stuff will there be, if any? Or is it just going to be a face lift to 2e visual standards?

Lurking Grue said:
I'm a bit out of the loop, so can anyone fill me in on how the new version of the Secret of the Ancients is going to differ from the old version? If I have the 1e version (and the CT version), what new stuff will there be, if any? Or is it just going to be a face lift to 2e visual standards?

It will be a facelift and upgrade to 2e rules set, also a complete re-editing and a new look at visuals for the Ancients.

OK, thank you for the info. I will wait to see the printed book in my local game store and give it a proper, old school leaf through before making my decision (pass on the pre-order this time).

I played the 1e PDF version of the campaign and it was very cool but I have to say there were some issues with internal consistency and as a Referee I also had to flesh out a lot of things to connect the dots in a meaningful way. I hope these will get ironed out and then I would be happy to re-buy the new version. :)
Modern artwork and maps also would go a long way here.

When I looked at the wiki, it said that Secret of the Ancients was part of a trilogy which included Research Station Gamma and Twilight's Peak. Does the new version include these adventures? How many adventures are in the campaign? Is it linear or is there a lot of player choice?

No on RSG and TP.
The stages are linear, but with a lot of room in between.
You need to do x to progress the story line, but there is usually time for a varying amount of fiddling around.

When I looked at the wiki, it said that Secret of the Ancients was part of a trilogy which included Research Station Gamma and Twilight's Peak. Does the new version include these adventures? How many adventures are in the campaign? Is it linear or is there a lot of player choice?
MgT2e's version of Research Station Gamma and Twilight's Peak are listed as part of the forthcoming "Mysteries of the Ancients" that is expected to have a pdf release in September.

Back