The new S&P with the BF:Evo rules as promised!

SickBunny

Mongoose
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1396&qsSeries=

The new Signs and Portents is out as promised and it Does include the rules for BF:Evo so run my children, run and read and rejoice!

Paladin said:
Now we just need card stats to be able to try them out with proxies ASAP. :twisted:

*looks left...then right...then throws a bag over Paladin's head and runs in the other direction*

Hiromoon said:
Paladin said:
Now we just need card stats to be able to try them out with proxies ASAP. :twisted:

*looks left...then right...then throws a bag over Paladin's head and runs in the other direction*

Hey! He took him!

Will give these a read ASAP though, can't wait!

Hiromoon said:
Paladin said:

[with the sudden onset of night Paladin opts to lay down for a long winters nap until the January release]

looks sweet and simple, though without some unit stats to work with, its all kind of meaningless.

I like the suppression rule, though it means that a group of 2-3 men sniping will have no impact at all on a squad, which seems rather unrealistic.

Morale is gloriously absent, except for the 25% army "break point" but that'll likely come later.

The action / reaction system is simple and straightforward, nothing to get confused about there.

Its not clear if units can only react to fire if the enemy is within 10". Maybe players of SST can help here ? Being able to shoot back seems like such an elegant solution to the static nature of the table. Well done.

Overall ? Its no Crossfire or Stargrunt, but this is definately a game I will be buying into. But please, please give us stats available other than in the boxes. If the unit stats are only available in the box with the mini's, planning a game or even testing things becomes largely impossible.

Units can react when fired on from more than 10".

Cetrain weapons (such as SAWs) are better at suppressing, each dice counts as two for suppression, IIRC.

Suppression is perhaps the most controversial element.

It means large units are harder to suppress, so MEA mobs of infantry are hard to pin down - until that is they start to take casualties. Given every other faction has their infantry in fire teams it means they can be suppressed relatively easily. However that is one fire team, not a whole squad, which means one team engages in a firefight while the other flanks, etc.

Suppression is swings and roundabouts, as infantry squads with SAWs can suppress larger squads quite handily. But suppression is not crippling unless your opponent is trying to suppress a small squad or massing quite a lot of firepower (which would realistically suppress even pretty good troops).

In its current format suppression works.

On reacting to incoming fire - you can react against fire from the other side of the table, but only ONE reaction can be made. This makes the game far more interesting - can you draw out your opponents reactions before you charge in with your infantry/Bugs/Jedi to avoid them getting shot to bits.

But I've started playing 3000+ point battles with multiple tanks and aircraft and the rules work, and work very well.
Quotes from my club include "Works very well", "Enjoyable", "Better than 40K", and "Easy to learn".

weasel_fierce said:
If the unit stats are only available in the box with the mini's, planning a game or even testing things becomes largely impossible.

I understand the main rulebook will contaain stats for all the planned units, Warmachine Style

Looks really good from the quick read that I gave it. The suppression looks like an interesting twist and I really like that you can now center a Fire Zone anywhere, not just on a figure. I also like the way that the loss of a squad leader is handled. This has been a major contention for us with SST, and it is good to see it being appropriately addressed.

Great work, guys! :D

Ah, another Stargrunt fan here! To my regret I have only been able to play SG once and SST once, so my experience is limited. But based on that SST gave me a familiar feeling of Stargrunt, so I have pretty high expectations on BFE.

SnowDog said:
Ah, another Stargrunt fan here! To my regret I have only been able to play SG once and SST once, so my experience is limited. But based on that SST gave me a familiar feeling of Stargrunt, so I have pretty high expectations on BFE.

We play SG about once a month or so. It takes a bit getting the hang of it, but its more rewarding than most games I have played.

You dont happen to be in Oregon, US, do you ? :)

Anyone that is interested,

I almost popped my eyes out of my head doing it, but if you look in the "Have Rules, No Stats" thread on page two there is the text from the back of the cards for the USMC squad, PLA squad and Challenger II. I was able to get at least 95% but there were a couple of things that I was not positive on. These are all marked with question marks either around the text that I was not positive about or replacing the text that I could not figure out.

I really like the way that they handled the various weapons; if you have a chance check them out! :D

weasel_fierce said:
We play SG about once a month or so. It takes a bit getting the hang of it, but its more rewarding than most games I have played.

You dont happen to be in Oregon, US, do you ? :)

Unfortunately, no. I live in Finland...

Back