The Moon God's Isle

tarkhan bey

Mongoose
or; The Garden of Xantalos
This is an adventure idea for 3-5 characters of Lvl5-7.

A thousand years previously Xantalos of Python an Acheronian sorceror fled his home in search of a sanctuary from the mounting attacks of the northern barbarians.A journal set down on a number of scrolls told of his works and his plans. In the haste of his flight these scrolls were forgotten and left behind.
Several of these scrolls have come into the possession of Ankhartep a Stygian nobleman residing in Zamboula and a renowned collector of antiquities.
Babel of Asgalun,a respected scholar and linguist is currently residing as a guest at the house of Ankhartep along with his beautiful Brythunian slavegirl Livia.
They have deciphered the script on the scrolls and from the mention of several star constellations have discovered that Xantalos' final destination was a large island off the coast of Zembabwei in the Black Kingdoms.
Ankhartep has decided to hire outlanders as guards for the expedition which he has decided not only to sponsor but to accompany himself. Babel and Livia will also be joining him.
He despises his Turanian overlords and seeks no help from them. He also distrusts the other Stgian Noble houses as he is a secret worshipper of Ibis. Thus he is forced by necessity to hire mercenaries.

Xantalos of Python,known as "the undying" fled to his refuge taking with him hundreds of slaves and retainers as well as his sorcerous paraphernalia.
What he found was an island surrounded by mighty cliffs with only one place to make landing,a peninsula on the eastern coast.
Within the ring of cliffs accessible only by a gorge which led from the peninsula lay the interior of the island,lush and unspoiled.
Using mighty magic's he constucted first a wall with a single small gate to block the gorge and then a palace temple in the middle of a lake in the islands interior.
From the bones of prehistoric creatures he found on the island he raised fearsome guardians including Dragons and finally about ten years ago a massive bull ape in excess of 25ft tall.
But his sorcery and his immortality depended upon the blood of human sacrifice and the longer he lived and the more impressive his sorcerous feats the fewer became his slaves and retainers.
Finally a decade ago he ordered the last of his guards to take ship to the mainland in search of new slaves. They departed as ordered but never returned. Xantalos died alone with no more blood to boost his unnatural lifespan.
Some years ago a small tribe fled Zembabwei in the face of oppression from its rulers and the instatement of Damballah as the official cult. They were worshippers of Jhebbal sag and the Serpent followers had sworn to stamp them out.
They found themselves on the island unable to flee further as their canoes would be wrecked upon the open sea.
Crossing the wall to explore the interior they were forced to flee after encountering Xantalos' guardians and the great ape whom they believed to be none other than Gullah,son of Jhebbal sag and gorilla god of the moon.
Back on the peninsula they built their village and took to raiding the mainland for slaves in their war canoes. Attractive female slaves would be taken through the gates and left bound as sacrifices for their god incarnate. The banging of a great brass gong would draw him from the interior to accept their gifts.

OK guys,the idea is that its gonna be part Tomb raider and part something else. Any guesses? Watch the movie again guys and if anyone likes this and decides to use it Livia gets to be Fay Wray.

I really liked the new twist on an old movie. Don't laugh too hard at your ingenuity. Many gamemasters take old stories and twist them around to fit into their own game worlds and adventures. It show's that the gamemaster is inventive and dedicated to his game and players.

Fay Wray? She was not an attractive women. Sorry, just my opinion.

Eric in Vegas

The adventure I'm currently running is a mix of King Kong and Land of the Lost and even The Lost World (Doyle AND Jurassic Park both).

There's no actual giant gorilla, but they're on a lost island. A giant wall and gate separate the lost Atlantean colony ruins from the rest of the island. There's a deep ravine with a fallen tree to cross. There's a lake that needs crossing (build a raft) occupied by a pleisiosaur. There's a grass-covered plateau populated by velociraptors. There's an ancient city at the base of a mountain occupied by lethargic hissing degenerate snake-men, complete with a Library of Skulls, hibernation chambers, and a bottomless pit.

Steal from the best. Having a pre-set mental image gives players something to immediately latch onto. It also helps build suspense because the players have an idea of what to expect but they don't know exactly.

Do we need a Mod intervention for this idea: Request that we type a info tag at the front of a post subject line to indicate an edventure idea. When I read this I wanted to comment, but I also wanted to leave it reletively clear of subsequent posts so the actual adds to the adventure could be more easily found and not cluttered up with our bable (like this...lol).

Maybe it would be something like this: [ADV] The Moon God's Isle

This way we'll know to comment on it less often as it's an on-going adventure thread. Yes? No? Shut up Sutek? :lol:

Sutek said:
Do we need a Mod intervention for this idea: Request that we type a info tag at the front of a post subject line to indicate an edventure idea. When I read this I wanted to comment, but I also wanted to leave it reletively clear of subsequent posts so the actual adds to the adventure could be more easily found and not cluttered up with our bable (like this...lol).

This way we'll know to comment on it less often as it's an on-going adventure thread. Yes? No? Shut up Sutek? :lol:

I think the main reason people post to a forum is to get feedback and comments.

less often ? don't post at all

People could still post, it wouldnt' be a prohibition, just a means of denoting "this is an adventure" so folks know.

...ah, fergitit.... :roll:

Well,I suppose it would have been a reasonable idea to tag it as an adventure and if a Mod intervention is needed then ok by me. I havent had a lot of time to post on this forum lately but I will soon be putting up stats for the NPC's and the basic projected storyline.
If anyone fancies statting up a big ass monkey for me I will be eternally grateful.
TB

Sutek said:

I agree. Not the "Shut up Setek" part. Just the part where people need to post something like....

[House Rules]
[FAQ]
[Adventure]

Or, somehow add more subfolders to this forum.

Like...
Mongoose Publishing Forum Index -> Conan -> House Rules discussion
Mongoose Publishing Forum Index -> Conan -> Quesions on Game Mechanics
Mongoose Publishing Forum Index -> Conan -> Guidance
Mongoose Publishing Forum Index -> Conan -> How to kick Odovacar off the forums
Mongoose Publishing Forum Index -> Conan -> Play testers only

Livia;
Livia is the 20yr old daughter of Count Belisarius of Valamar. Her Brythunian heritage is obvious from her golden tresses,sparkling blue eyes and strikingly beautiful features.
She plays the part of the typical Brythunian woman perfectly but is in fact an accomplished plotter and schemer.
Since her abduction by Turanian slavers from her family estates outside Pirogia several years earlier she has been the property of Babel the Astrologer. Babel purchased her from the slave blocks in Agraphur and as the years passed he has fallen in love with her.She accompanies him on his travels and when in private it is hard to distinguish whom the slave and whom the master.
Despite what she has heard of the vile practises of Shemites she is happy that he has made no unnatural demands upon her and so she feigns love for him in return.
She has little desire to return home as she will be forced to marry some fat sweaty baron to cement another of her fathers alliances.
For the moment then,Babel represents her best option and she is happy to remain with him until something better turns up.
Livia is a Lvl 1 Hyborian Noble.

Ankhartep;

An almost typical Stygian nobleman,he is renowned in Zamboula as being reclusive and a collector of rare and ancient artifacts.
He is tall,dusky skinned with proud aquiline features and dresses in typical Stygian fashion.
Following his recent collaboration with Babel the Pelishtim to decipher the scrolls of Xantalos he has decided that he will not only sponsor an expedition but accompany it as well.
He excels at the hunt and this seems like a fine opportunity to observe rare and wondrous creatures in their natural environment and of course to kill them.
Thanks to Nafertiri,the mistress of the Satrap, the Stygian Noble families have been allowed to retain their armed guards,normally slave soldiers of hybrid Stygian descent.
Not so with Ankhartep. Apart from his immediate family no other Stygian has set foot within the walls of his residence except by pre arranged visit.
The other Noble families are unaware that he venerates Ibis in place of Father Set and would have him assassinated should it ever come to light.
Because of this he maintains a bodyguard of giant Kushite mercenaries led by Ekhramun who is his cohort,bodyguard and charioteer.
Lord Ankhartep is a Lvl 6 Stygian Noble.

Well thats it for tonight guys. Next time I will be posting the character backgrounds for Babel and Ekhramun and the full stat blocks for all four.Just dont have time tonight.
TB

Babel;

Babel is the scion of a noble family of asgalun in the kingdom of Pelishtia. Like many of his peers he has travelled widely and is currently resident in Zamboula as the house guest of Ankhartep the Stygian.
Famed throughout Shem as an Astrologer and Linguist he has as yet little time for the sorcerous arts. He seeks knowledge for its own sake and has not yet succumbed or been corrupted by the power that often comes with it.
He is a quiet and serious young man dressed in sombre clothes suitable for the road. He disdains finery and wears his beard and hair close cropped in the Argossean fashion rather than the more usual oiled ringlets.
He is,unusually for a Shemite,not given to ostentatious display,gandiose gestures or brazen lies.
Unkind tongues in Asgalun hint that a Hyborian must have crept into his fathers seraglio.
Babel is a Lvl 3 Scholar.

Ekhramun;

Ekhramun is a giant Kushite standing in the region of six and a half feet tall. Clad in his scale corselet and wearing Stygian kilt and headdress he is an awesome sight combining slablike muscle with the grace of a black panther.
His heavily tatooed face marks him as a slave soldier to a Stygian noble house but he is in fact a free man and the adopted kinsman of Lord Ankhartep.
Ajago,as he was once known,was once a simple slave guardsman of the house of Ankhartep. That was until the night that the Darfari climbed the wall.
They had risen in revolt and the streets of the city were awash with blood. Rumours abounded that the Turanians had intended to cease their toleration of the obscene Yoggite rites.
The slave guards were slaughtered to a man,except for Ajago who held the door of his masters residence all through that hideous and fearful night.
In the morning when the Turanian lancers had finally driven the last of the Yoggites from the city he still stood unbowed,a mound of corpses gathered at his feet.
The grateful Ankhartep immediately freed him on account of his great service and adopted him as kinsman under the Stygian name of Ekhramun.
He remained in the employ of his former master but now instead of slave he is charioteer and cohort to Ankhartep.
Ekhramun ia Lvl 1 Barbarian/Lvl 3 Soldier.

Ok, here are the First Stat blocks for the major Npc's

LIVIA:Female Brythunian Noble 1;HD1D10+1(7hp);INIT+2;SPD25;DV 9(P) 12(D);DR-;ATK+2 FIN Unarmed strike;
SV: FORT +1 REF +2 WILL +2
STATS;STR 8 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 14 WIS 11 CHA 16
Height 5ft 7",Weight 128lbs
Skills; Bluff+7,Diplomacy+7,Gather info+5,Heal+3,Know(nobility)+5,Listen+4,Move silently+4,Perform(Alluring dances)+8,Sense motive+5,Spot+4,Survival+1
FEATS and SPEC.QUALITIES;
ALERTNESS,PERFORMER,TITLE,RANK HATH PRIVELEGE,WEALTH(N/A).

EQUIP:Turanian dancing girl costume

EKHRAMUN;Male Kushite Barbarian1/Soldier3;HD4D10+8(37hp);INIT+10;SPD25;DV 16(P) 14(D);DR5;ATK+8 MELEE TULWAR,+7 RNGD STYGIAN BOW
SAVES; FORT+9 REF+6 WILL+3
STATS; STR 18 DEX 16 CON 18 INT 12 WIS 10 CHA 10
Height 6ft 5",Weight 230lbs
Skills; Climb+8,Handle animal+5,Hide+7,Intimidate+7,Jump+5,Listen+6,Move silently+10,Profession(Charioteer)+6,Spot+7,Survival+7

FEATS and SPECIAL QUALITIES;
TRACK,TOUGHNESS,IMPROVED INITIATIVE,IRON WILL, EWP TULWAR,EWP STYGIAN BOW,ILLITERATE,FEARLESS,VERSATILITY,FORMATION COMBAT(HEAVY INF),+1 RACIAL DAMAGE WITH SPEARS,+2 CIRC BONUS IN HOT ENVIRONS(ADDED IN TO ABOVE)

EQUIP: Scale corselet,Tulwar,Stygian Bow(Mighty+4),20 Arrows in quiver,Poniard,Stygian kilt and headdress.

OK Guys,thats it for now. I have a long drive tonight and I am leaving in 10 mins. I hope that these characters and my adventure plot are gonna be useful to some of you. I will post the other two stat blocks on Monday or Tuesday evening.
TB

LORD ANKHARTEP;Male Stygian Noble 6;HD6D8+6(32hp);Init+4;SPD25;DV 17(P) 14(D);DR5;ATK+8 RNGD STYGIAN BOW,+6 MELEE/FINESSE SHORTSWORD
SAVES; FORT+3 REF+4 WILL+6
STATS; STR 15 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 15 WIS 12 CHA 12
Height 5ft 11",Weight 221lbs
SKILLS; Appraise+6,Bluff+3,Climb+6,Decipher script+5,Disguise+3,Gather info+4,Handle animal+6,Heal+4,Know(Arcana)+7,Know(Local)+4,Know(Nobility)+4,Know(Religion)+4,Know(History)+3,Listen+7,Move silently+6,Perform(Ritual)+5,Ride+6,Search+4,Spot+10,Survival+10

FEATS AND SPECIAL QUALITIES;
ALERTNESS,ENDURANCE,SELF SUFFICIENT,POINT BLANK SHOT,TRACK,LEADER(ENHANCED12),EWP STYGIAN BOW,+1TO HIT WITH STYGIAN BOW(INC),-2 SAVE V's CORRUPTION,REGIONAL NOBLE BONUSES(INC),TITLE,RANK HATH PRIVELEGE,WEALTH,LEAD BY EXAMPLE+2,ALLY(NAFERTIRI)

EQUIP: Scale Corselet(Kothic Quality),Akbitanian Shortsword, Stygian Bow(Mighty +2),poniard,Buckler,Noble quality Stygian kilt and headdress.

(Although Nafertiri is currently his ally,should she become aware of his heresy she will no longer be able to act on his behalf)

BABEL;Male Pelishtim Scholar3;HD3D6+3(14hp);INIT+2;SPD25;DV 11(P) 12(D);DR-;ATK+3 FIN DAGGER,+3 RNGD DAGGER
SAVES; FORT+2 REF+2 WILL+8
STATS; STR 10 DEX 13 CON 12 INT 18 WIS 16 CHA 14
Height 5ft 8",Weight191lbs
SKILLS; Appraise+10,Balance+1,Bluff+2,Climb+2,Conc+6,Alchemy+8,Herbalism+9,Decipher Script+12,Diplomacy+3,Gather info+5,Handle animal+4,Heal+6,Hide+2,Know(Arcana)+12,Know(Geog)+7,Know(Local)+7,Know(Nobility)+6,Know(Religion)+10,Know(Cosmology)+10,Know(Nature)+6,Listen+6,Move silently+4,Search+7,Sense motive+4,Spot+8,Survival+5

FEATS AND SPECIAL QUALITIES;
NOBLE BLOOD,DILIGENT,IRON WILL,SCHOLAR,KNOWLEDGE IS POWER,TITLE(NOT USED),ALL SHEMITE AND PELISHTIM RACIAL TRAITS(THOSE APPROPRIATE ARE INC)

SORCERY;
MAGIC ATK+3(+1 LVL,+2 CHA)
PP 8

SORCERY SYLES AND SPELLS;
WARDING(Warding,Rune of Jhebbal Sag)
DIVINATION(Astrological Prediction,Psychometry)

EQUIP;Travelling clothes,Akbitanian Dagger,Satchel containing various herbal and alchemical concoctions as the DM sees fit.

I have bumped this for consideration of addition to the 101 plots for Hyborian age adventures. I hope that someone may find it useful. The main characters and their motivations are included. They are in 1st Ed stats as I have not yet commited to 2nd Ed.

EricKRod said:

Eric in Vegas

Not an attractive woman? I beg to differ

fay.jpg

Jotenbjorn said:
EricKRod said:

Eric in Vegas

Not an attractive woman? I beg to differ

fay.jpg

If you take a look at her facial features, she is very beautiful. The silly bob haircut and theeyebrow thingy was just a sign of the times. You could get Naomi Watts stylist and she would be very hot if you had a time machine.

Back