The Iridium Games.

ottarrus

Emperor Mongoose
Has anyone considered an Imperium wide set of interplanetary games?
I would imagine that such an event would be divided into species categories, along with other considerations like environment [TAS News Flash: The Schalli water polo team just beat the highly touted Orca team in the qualifying tournament, but Orca have appealed to the sport's governing body saying that the Schalli's graspers give them an unfair advantage; Dolphins join Orcas in advocating for a separate division for species with manipulators.].
Some sports, like shooting, could have racial and Open categories. Others obviously couldn't have an Open category [several athletic sports, for example]

Thoughts anyone?

Has anyone considered an Imperium wide set of interplanetary games?
I would imagine that such an event would be divided into species categories, along with other considerations like environment [TAS News Flash: The Schalli water polo team just beat the highly touted Orca team in the qualifying tournament, but Orca have appealed to the sport's governing body saying that the Schalli's graspers give them an unfair advantage; Dolphins join Orcas in advocating for a separate division for species with manipulators.].
Some sports, like shooting, could have racial and Open categories. Others obviously couldn't have an Open category [several athletic sports, for example]

Thoughts anyone?
Depends how often it is held. It takes too long to travel across the Imperium. Most of your athletes would be travelling for a year or more, just to reach the games. I just had a Patron leave Tobia for a Borderlands music tour. 1 year and 3months how long that little trip took. Tobia to Capital is 28 jumps at J-6, so over a year to travel between the two on the absolute fastest ships possible. You could do Sector Games or Domain Games. Those travel times wouldn't be too extreme.

Well, my thought was to have the Games every 5 years because of the travel times.
The idea of having Sector Games is a good one and one that could serve as a waypoint for the athletes on their way to Capital.

Well, my thought was to have the Games every 5 years because of the travel times.
The idea of having Sector Games is a good one and one that could serve as a waypoint for the athletes on their way to Capital.
Who is paying almost 6.8MCr per person, not per competitor because every competitor has team of non-athletes with them, from Tobia to Capital and back again? As well as having to feed and maintain their competition readiness, while travelling. Javelin training would be a real pain in the ass on a starship. lol Or swimming... :p

Have two competition categories, limited and open.

Limited apartheids competitors based on common characteristics.

Open, anyone can compete.

Who is paying almost 6.8MCr per person, not per competitor because every competitor has team of non-athletes with them, from Tobia to Capital and back again? As well as having to feed and maintain their competition readiness, while travelling. Javelin training would be a real pain in the ass on a starship. lol Or swimming... :p
The sports company selling the equipment (see: F1 costs, and companies like Ferrarri and Mercedes)

Today on Earth we're already paying more than that for some sports. If the company can get sector wide for that amount they'd jump. Imperium wide, I think they'd be happy in the billions per per person.

The sports company selling the equipment (see: F1 costs, and companies like Ferrarri and Mercedes)

Today on Earth we're already paying more than that for some sports. If the company can get sector wide for that amount they'd jump. Imperium wide, I think they'd be happy in the billions per per person.
I just checked the F1 costs. Teams spend an average of 8 million per year to transport the whole team and roughly 50 tons worth of gear. That is way, way short of costing 6.8 million per person. F1 teams average 75 people who travel with the teams. 75 people times 6.8 million is 510MCr per year, just to ship the people, not including the equipment.

Sure, but F1 spend hundreds of millions designing the equipment.

Assuming you don't need to develop new highly complex equipment for say, swimming or shooting, the company can take those hundreds of millions and convert them to travel.

Sure, but F1 spend hundreds of millions designing the equipment.

Assuming you don't need to develop new highly complex equipment for say, swimming or shooting, the company can take those hundreds of millions and convert them to travel.
I just don't see it. The only ones that even get to watch the games "live" are those in the system where the games are held. Most of the rest of the universe will just get little clips on the local news, but rarely get to see the actual events. Even these little clips could be a year of more later than the actual games. Plus, these athletes are going to be using the latest technology, same as Our athletes today do. TL-15. Most worlds are not going to be able to sell those goods, so where is all of this money coming from?

I just don't see it. The only ones that even get to watch the games "live" are those in the system where the games are held. Most of the rest of the universe will just get little clips on the local news, but rarely get to see the actual events. Even these little clips could be a year of more later than the actual games. Plus, these athletes are going to be using the latest technology, same as Our athletes today do. TL-15. Most worlds are not going to be able to sell those goods, so where is all of this money coming from?
Brand name. Same as in F1. 'This swimmer uses Swimtastic gear!'
Do an imperium wide/sector wide show of the game (even if it's not live for some), and then everyone goes and buys the local Swimtastic gear (same as Ferrarri) whether it's TL 3, 12, or 15.

On top of that, Swimtastic sells patents from it's TL15 Iridium gear to military, government, and other major industry users (same as Williams)

You can probably justify a price tag equal to about 1% (but 0.1% is more reasonable) of the population who will view the games.

Brand name. Same as in F1. 'This swimmer uses Swimtastic gear!'
Do an imperium wide/sector wide show of the game (even if it's not live for some), and then everyone goes and buys the local Swimtastic gear (same as Ferrarri) whether it's TL 3, 12, or 15.
How do you build a TL-3 Ferrari? They didn't even have cars in the early 19th century. That would be like selling TL-8 grav-belts on modern Earth. As far as I am aware, they don't exist.
On top of that, Swimtastic sells patents from it's TL15 Iridium gear to military, government, and other major industry users (same as Williams)
Even if the 3I had a such thing as Patents, which I am not sure they do. Even in the modern day, if the government wants to use a patented item, they just steal the patent from the patent office. The wording in modern-day patents, only applies to civilian-use. The military is legally allowed to steal whatever it wants. I highly doubt that the 3I is more respectful of intellectual property rights than modern governments. It is one of the reasons, I think that the 3I doesn't have a patent office.
You can probably justify a price tag equal to about 1% (but 0.1% is more reasonable) of the population who will view the games.

1860s are mid to late 19th century.
The second paragraph says "The first experimental vehicles were built in the 18th and 19th century" 18th is definitely not TL4 and there is reference to one from 1679 (TL2 for sure) later in the article. 1860s was just the French one that I remembered (no, not from experience, just from reading about it).

The second paragraph says "The first experimental vehicles were built in the 18th and 19th century" 18th is definitely not TL4 and there is reference to one from 1679 (TL2 for sure) later in the article. 1860s was just the French one that I remembered (no, not from experience, just from reading about it).
The rules account for this with Prototype Items, but no company is out there just selling prototypes. Then it wouldn't be a prototype. lol

Better have ships with large dedicated training facilities, so that all of the athletes can maintain their skills. Otherwise, the hosting sector is going to wipe the floor every other opponent.

Back