The Great Hyperion Debate Here

Abraxus

Mongoose
In my campaign the characters sort of anti-hero type characters that become the Heros. We started the campaign right during Episode 1, season 1.

Within the first month they were enlisted by the Vorlons to fight the Shadows. Well, since there were no White Stars at that point, the pc's were given a Hyperion Cruiser called the Aegeus that had last been reported entering Vorlon space 8 years previous. No sign of the crew at all.

And as the characters (who are not Earthforce personell) began to use the ship as stealthily as they could I began to notice weird things about the ship, some of which I have asked about on this site and had answers from.

My first issue was the size of the Hyperion ships. Being Collosal II, the ship can at most be 256ft long. Well, I felt that was totaly wrong so I have switched to useing the size of 1025 or so Meters long. That way, fighters could be put inside it.

Anyways, my new question is this: Where do the shuttles go?

The Earth Force Shuttle is roughly 29 meters long! Where do they go? An Atmospheric shuttle would take up most of the width of the Cobra Bays of a Hyperion, effectively removing 2 Starfuries to put in a shuttle. That's assuming that the Cobra Bays width is over 29 Meters. So then where are they put?

Would they be put in the large section just behind the Cobra Bays? Mongoose has that section being Engineering. I've also looked at some footage from Voices II, S1, and so no docking bay doors in that section.
So I don't think that they would go there.

Then there's the engines in the aft section. I'd so no to the shuttle bays being there.

So then there is the large section that juts down to the lowest point of the ship, ending with two turret weapon systems. I can see this area being large enough to hold 2 shuttle bays, perhaps 1 on top of the other.

Or, does it even have any shuttles at all? I see one bit of evidence to support no shuttles. In Voices II, the Captain of the Hyperion travels to B5 using a Badger Class Starfury, not a shuttle.

Abraxus

The size chart in the rulebook was just taken from wherever Mongoose got their combat system from. It is not meant to be accurate, and will be replaced in aSFoS.

The Hypewrion has 8 bays, 4 on each side. I'd alway presumed that they were for the 6 furies and 2 shuttles.

The Hyperion herself may have had their shuttle bays refitted for Badgers, as I believe it was on a patrol mission.

I'm glad that the new system might clear up some issues....

but as to your statement that there re 4 bays on each side.... I only see 3. In any picture, tv appearance or schematic i've seen i've only seen 3 bays on each side. Where are the other 2 bays?

Abraxus

Abraxus said:
Or, does it even have any shuttles at all? I see one bit of evidence to support no shuttles. In Voices II, the Captain of the Hyperion travels to B5 using a Badger Class Starfury, not a shuttle.

Abraxus

This would be my lean on the subject. I don't think that we see any shuttle leaving a Hyperion and, if you look at http://groups.msn.com/Mattsmodelstuffandreference/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=33 you'll see that the hangar that we see is just barely big enough to handle a Badger or Fury. If you look at a fairly accurate fan-mesh http://www.starshipmodeler.com/b5/cc_hyp_schem.JPG you really won't find a good palce for a shuttle bay, no obvious hatches and what have you.

More importantly, Mark D from FI, way back when, stated that the Hyperion didn't carry shuttles, hence the time that they took to make a one-shot 'Fury variant to serve as a shuttle when needed. There are supposed to be docking ports for a shuttle to dock with the Hyperion for crew transfer but not an integral hangar to carry them herself.

Matt

Back