The Atlanteans have landed!

InsomNY

Mongoose
Guess what arrived in the post today, folks.

No, not a Fleshlight. Errr, I don't even know what those are! :roll:

It's my Conan the RPG Atlantean Edition. Thanks very much, Mighty Mustelids of Mongoose. Looks like I've got some reading to do!

Ta.

InsomNY said:
Guess what arrived in the post today, folks.
It's my Conan the RPG Atlantean Edition. Thanks very much, Mighty Mustelids of Mongoose. Looks like I've got some reading to do!
Ta.

The green envy monster just woke up in me. :)

As for your first impression, how does the new design look?

BullBear said:
How long til you got a response from Mongoose?
I sent my corner in on the 4th, and have yet to hear anything. :cry:

Well, we sent 3 out to Texas on the 17th and another 3 will be going out this way today.

Not sure if you are one of them, did you send payment in with your corner?

If you give me your name via PM or email, I will let you know.

Being a mature, patient adult, I realize that only having waited 2 months for the release of the Atlantean edition ... waiting ... waiting ... to finally order all available core and sourcebooks (158 USD) in a shot yesterday.. that I should not be impatient .. not be green with envy .. not be slobbering with anticipation.

Of course, I am sure that every customer's order is important. And, that even though there is no FLGS in Somerset, PA, or closer than 3 hours (and even then I doubt they carry it ... wotc owns the gaming world around here) that the retail stores should get it first.

But .. I WANT IT NOW .. I WANT IT OVERNIGHTED .. I WANT EVERYONE TO DESERT GENCON AND ATTEND TO MY ORDER FIRST!!!! I WANT A COURIER TO PERSONALLY TRAVEL FROM SWINDON TO SOMERSET (the USA one, in Pennsylvania, not its namesake) ... DELIVER THE BOOKS AND PLAY A DAY OR TWO .. OR THREE !!!! :wink:

Just kidding. Very excited. I have been playing my own little version of this game with only what I can glean from the forums and previews.

So close ... so close. Why do you torture me so?

slowalrus said:
But .. I WANT IT NOW .. I WANT IT OVERNIGHTED .. I WANT EVERYONE TO DESERT GENCON AND ATTEND TO MY ORDER FIRST!!!! I WANT A COURIER TO PERSONALLY TRAVEL FROM SWINDON TO SOMERSET (the USA one, in Pennsylvania, not its namesake) ... DELIVER THE BOOKS AND PLAY A DAY OR TWO .. OR THREE !!!! :wink:
quote]

You pay our travel costs and we will be happy to take a trip to see you, we may even throw in a free copy of the book :D

My impressions so far:

That which was wrong has been fixed; it's no longer painful for writers, editors and proofreaders to open the book. Errors remain, but there's practically no such thing in publishing as an error-free book. But no more Spellb.ooks! :p

SRD Cut-and-pastes are gone, replaced with clearly worded examples that consider the game at hand. In addition, there's less reliance on knowledge of/access to the SRD; this is much more of a complete rulesbook.

The layout is not so very different to the casual observer – that's me for now, because I'm not about to go page vs. page with the first edition.

There's some very nice new artwork, and some older pieces have been moved around.

Many of the expository quotes from Conan stories have been axed in favor of more artwork, charts and graphical examples. Enough remain to remind us of the source material and Mongoose's excellent faith thereunto.

The only Direct Rules Contradiction (TM) I've seen so far involves everybody's favorite argument point, the 5-foot step. The rule specifically states you will provoke an attack of opportunity if your 5-foot step is combined with an action that provokes an AoO. Firing a missile weapon is such an action. Yet on the same page there is a graphic of "Valeria" 5-foot stepping away from a "Pict" and shooting him with her bow, without drawing an AoO. :x

All in all, I'm very pleased with what I have now. I was pleased with the original, but the Atlantean Edition is what the first edition should have been. Many thanks to all concerned. :D

Great news :)

I just sent off for mine today.

What did they end up doing with the feint manoeuvre? Does it cause a complete loss of defence bonuses or a partial loss?

I noticed that RoK's feats still made references to "does not allow her to add her Dexterity bonus to her armour calss" -- so I was wondering if Conan AE helped clarify the whole Defense Value issues that were often discussed in the Rulesmasters section.

Did they decide to allow Sneak Attacks with feinting or is that still a no.

And wasn't there an official clarification to the 5 foot step somewhere on these forums. I seem to remember someone from Mongoose addressing the question at one time. . . Or maybe not. I'll look around.

I found what I remembered seeing, but no official answer was given. It was on a thread talking about the 5 foot step. I'll bump it since the Valeria archer question came up.

Did I miss anything? Is there a special offer for customers who bought the error-rich first printing? So as not to buy another version of the rulebook for full price?

Well, yes, I'm new to the forum. I looked up some threads about this Sons-of-Cimmera-thing, but nowhere is mentioned how to get a copy of the revised rulebook for a discount and what precisely to send in for that.

Back