Taking a few ideas from Advanced Fighting Fantasy

Having just got the Advanced Fighting Fantasy book, the one thing that struck me is the incredible range of characters you can play, for such a rules lite game. Although i much prefer the world of Magnamund to Titan, i have to say i prefer that choice and flexibility of the system. On that thought, a few ideas to expand the lonewolf game:

TALENTS

A skill system, i feel, will always complicate the Disciplines system in lonewolf, since there is likely to be confusing overlaps. Instead each character starts with one Talent, plus any gained from your starting race. Talents are rare and most characters will only have their starting Talents, but a player may choose, rather than taking a Discipline, to take a Talent instead when offered. This doesnt actually increase a characters Rank, so most players wishing to advance their characters, will not likely take it. Talents can be used, however, if you wish to play a non-Discipline class, such as a ordinary thief or merchant. These classes may not be as powerful as say a Kai Lord, but they are incredibly flexible, and not tied to rigid Discipline choice.

Talents

Ambidextrous
When armed with two weapons, so long as one of the weapons is a dagger or Shortsword, you may attack twice - your opponent may only inflict damage from one of your attacks.

Combat-master
You may increase your CS by 1 permanently.

Crack Shot
When using any missile weapon, you increase any damage inflicted by 2 points.

Fleet Footed
You may add 3 to any Test when trying to escape by foot, or running in a race. Over a day, you may also cover 50% more miles.

Hawkeye
You may add 3 to all Tests involving sight-based perception

Learned
You may add 2 to all tests involving book learning or academic lore.

Lucky
Once per day, you may reroll any dice roll (or pick another random number)

Night-vision
You may see up to 20 yards in the dark, and may reduce all darkness penalties by half, rounding down

Silver-tongued
You may add 2 to all social tests, such as persuasion, bribery or guile

COMBAT OPTIONS

Rather than a series of rolls, the player now has tactical decisions to make each round. You may select one of the following options each round:

All Out Attack
You suffer -4CS, but inflict +4 damage to your foe

Defensive
Your opponent suffers -8 CS when attacking you, even with missile weapons, but you inflict no damage to your foe

Feint
If you roll an even number when making an attack, you inflict +2 damage. If you roll an odd number, however, you suffer +2 damage

Rapid Shot

When armed with a bow or throwing daggers, you may attack twice in one round, at -4CS to each attempt.

Push Back
When attacking a foe less than double your weight, you sacrifice damage inflicted - the foe takes damage as if you rolled a 1, but they are pushed 2 yards forward - handy if they are standing on a roof or by a ledge....

Great ideas but I worry about Ambidextrous and attacking twice - that is a massive, massive advantage. No-one in their right mind would buy a shield ever and certainly no-one would want to buy a two-handed weapon; indeed for only a few Crowns you could have 2 Daggers. If you literally take the Weaponskill table 30% of kai Lords would reasonably be armed with two handed weapons - what is their advantage?

Why does everyone assume dual wielding gives extra attacks? Perhaps they could take half damage instead or limit use to a few times an adventure, as Darren Pearce put in Masquerade in Hikas I think? Alternatively I thought about the strain this would cause and have a character lose 1EP/round as they tire out but then look at Psi-Surge which is supposed to be a huge benifit of only +2CS over Mindblast and that costs 2EP/Round initially.

Maybe I'm in a minority but I don't think it is very balanced but if you and your friends all like it then that's great - maybe let some dual wielding Stornlanders attack the PC's...

I am all for new ideas.

Twin Blades does indeed give you two attacks, can be used 3 times per adventure.

You could also give the Player Characters +1 or +2 to their Combat Skill when using it, if you don't want to add an extra attack.

The Wolf said:
Twin Blades does indeed give you two attacks, can be used 3 times per adventure.

You could also give the Player Characters +1 or +2 to their Combat Skill when using it, if you don't want to add an extra attack.

What a coincidence. After years(!) of fiddling I had come up with this:

Dual Wielding (2 One Handed Weapons, no Shield) adds half Offhand Weaponskill & Property Bonus, round down [Assume best Weaponskill + Weapon Property CS Bonus combined = Primary Weapon].
So Weaponskill = +1CS, Weaponmastery + Kai Master's +1CS Weapon or Weaponmastery Scion Kai = +2CS (as good as a Shield). Grand Weaponmastery with second Kai Weapon (e.g.Sunderer) = +5CS! I assume vs Helghast that as long as one Weapon can harm it is okay to dual wield.

Beserking (Two Handed Weapon, no Shield but I say you may use a Shield with normal Two Handed Weapon use) gves Double Weaponskill but -2EP extra damage received. {Used to use 'pick 2 Random Numbers and both lose higer EP only'}

Okay lets have some fun with figures and compare some stats of the different styles...
(N.B. Bk19 Spoiler coming)

Right, Lone Wolf (20 EP) fights his nemesis Wolf's Bane(20EP) who has almost identical skills. At the climactic Rapier battle Joe sets the Combat Ratio as -4 to be a fair/equal fight: "We two are as equally matched as these blades" or something like that. So if we want the 'Average Fair Fight' we need the average Random Number which is 5 - assume this roll every time; giving Lone Wolf -4EP and Enemy -5 EP each round. So, on average, a close fight would be...

Sword Only - takes 4 Rounds LW 4EP remaining.

What about if he 'cheats'and uses Dual-Wielding, Beserking, etc...

Amazingly Dual Wielding and Beserking provide the same result (4 Rounds, LW 4EP remaining) for different reasons {if Lone Wolf only had Weaponskill/Weaponmastery - say he met Wolf's Bane before becoming a Grand Master}.

Dual Wielding + Weaponmastery/Scion-Kai (and a normal offhand Weapon) - takes 4 Rounds but LW 8 EP remaining.

Beserking + Weaponmastery/Scion-Kai - takes 3 Rounds and again LW has 8 EP remaining.

It would appear Beserking is best - combat is quicker but remember you are more likely* to lose more EP, which is how I feel Beserking should be.
*Not reflectable in this simplified combat sample.

Now, let's throw in the Ambidextrous Talent - free 2nd attack without reply. It is all over in only 2 Rounds and LW has 12EP remaining, E-10EP & LW -4EP each Round, that's over half EP left! That is without any skill or weapon bonus for offhand weapon. Come to think of it, wouldn't a player with Weaponmastery in both Sword & Dagger expect more of a bonus when using this talent compared to a Sword with a Mace (no Weaponmastery slot)? Similarly the bonus with Dual Wielding a +5CS Axe with either another +5CS Axe or a +0CS Axe is the same/also seems wrong. I have wrestled with these concepts for literally years, I know where you are coming from and the ultimate rule is keep it simple.

When it comes to Lone Wolf I think you have to think in terms of only slight bonuses, particularly at lower levels. Remember Psi-Surge +4CS, -2EP/Round is a much more powerful Skill than Mindblast +2CS but it is so expensive for such a small improvement! (Did Joe realise his mistake and create the Archmaster improvement to rectify?)

Interestingly Hellebore, when I ran your dual wielding with LW Rapier & Dagger vs Wolf's Bane Rapier I also got 3 Rounds, LW 8EP remaining if I read your rules right, great stuff - was a bit slow to work it out (Quick Weapons, Defensive Weapons, Damage Modifiers, etc.) but I guess with practise would be faster, still a bit too complex for my liking but well done.

Well that's my thoughts - I always feel that if you make one improvement with certain weapons there must be some kind of equal appeal for players to use others. If you have 100 PC's and they are all choosing Ambidextrous without question then something is wrong.

Yeah, trying to manipulate the base LW rules was an interesting challenge that I set myself. I felt that the weapon rules would be where you could stick special rules without making the core mechanics redundant.

It's not for everyone, but I have a bad habit of rewriting everyone's weapon lists. I did it for Dragon Age as well (esoterica 1 on that link).

Hellebore

I own both the original Dungeoneer as well as the new revised Advanced Fighting Fantasy. It's a fine little game. I really like the addition of talents, they are pretty cool and something I would have done myself had I been designing the game. There are too few of them in the book though, especially considering that I would give more of them out at Char Gen to diversify characters more.

Regarding talents and Lone Wolf, why give them in place of Disciplines? Why not have both? Say, a talent every other rank or so?

Back