Stunning Attack

Voltumna

Mongoose
"If the defender fails this saving throw, he is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action)."

Does this mean you can't attack him again while stunned?

This is one feat I wonder why would you like to take it, unless it is to be used with the other wolves of your pack. The idea of stunning someone with a punch is cool, but what benefit is there to it if you can't take advantage of that yourself? Unless you have somone by your side to whack him while stunned, the only benefit I can see is if you wined initiative, then hit him and stun him, he can't attack you that round, though he will be back in posession of all his faculties next round. I don't think you could still ready an action (another attack, or whatever) against him, because you already took a standard action. Well, I don't know.

Had you already asked this question in the Rulesmasters forum? An official answer would be interesting...

I haven't got my book with me. Does the attack take a full round action? If not then any extra attacks you have from multiple weapons or high BAB would be against a stunned foe.

Your opponent also completely misses out on his chance to whack you back as he is stunned during his turn. This could cause him to miss multiple attacks as is very useful

Yes the stun ends just before your initative count on the next round, so he will no longer be stunned when your next turn comes up. However a stun occurs as part of a regular attack (and actually the attack still deals damage as normal in addition to the stun) so if you have more than one attack per round and are full-attacking you can stun and then follow up with the rest of your attacks. IOW stunning does not end you currnent turn prematurely.

As for why someone would want to take the feat all I can say is that you're not thinking strategically enough. Without a doubt the single most important resource in the game is the turn. Playing a resource-denial strategy can be incredibly effective. If you keep stunning a character over and over he has no chance to hurt you and no choice but to sit there and take it.

Yes this is best applied as part of a group assault, giving your other teammates time to attack, flee, get in position, finish off other foes, etc. I dont think I even need to mention the time my 3.0 monk saved the entire party from a TPK by stunning the BBEG wizard on the last round before he completed his Ritual Spell of Ultimate Doom. 8)

But even if you are facing an opponent one on one it is still usefull. Don't forget that if your first attack in a full attack sequence is a successful stun then the remainder of your attacks for the round benefit from the stun. Even if you don't have itterative attacks you can still TWF. Remember that fists are light weapons and everyone has two fists :wink:

Hope that helps.

argo said:
However a stun occurs as part of a regular attack (and actually the attack still deals damage as normal in addition to the stun) so if you have more than one attack per round and are full-attacking you can stun and then follow up with the rest of your attacks. IOW stunning does not end you currnent turn prematurely.Hope that helps.

This clears all the doubts. I was reading the "until just before your next action" as giving up the rest of your attacks, being another attack = another action. This is a killer feat then, it is on my must have list now.

Now, if you fail a stun attempt (target makes saving throw), does it count against the number of stuns you have in the day?

Voltumna said:
Now, if you fail a stun attempt (target makes saving throw), does it count against the number of stuns you have in the day?
Yes. In fact if you declare a stun attempt and miss on your attack roll it also uses up one of your stuns.

Good luck.

Back