Study Period and the character sheet

hivemindx

Mongoose
On the character sheet in the core book there is a section for the Study Period and it has "Weeks: __ / __" in there. In the example sheet this is filled out as "Weeks: __/ 24".

Is this a holdover from some previous version of the rules? It seems that the number of weeks should always be out of 8, so the only thing you need to note is how many weeks you have completed in the current study period, how many study periods you have completed and what you are training in.

Is this wrong?

Perhaps the example is not entirely correct. Or they somehow combined the periods, which may lead to mistakes when tracking the weeks.

edit: or it's not updated since the beta version where those study periods were bigger.

arcador said:
edit: or it's not updated since the beta version where those study periods were bigger.
My money is on this explanation as in the playtest the period at one point was 24 weeks. :mrgreen:

The first _ is the number of weeks you have studied. The second is the total number of weeks you need to study. Eg:

3/8, I have studied 3 weeks of my required 8 to get my Gun Combat skill from 0 to 1.

6/16, I have studied 6 weeks of my required 16 to get my Gun Combat skill from 2 to 3

At least that's how I'm reading it.

mancerbear said:
The first _ is the number of weeks you have studied. The second is the total number of weeks you need to study. Eg:

3/8, I have studied 3 weeks of my required 8 to get my Gun Combat skill from 0 to 1.

6/16, I have studied 6 weeks of my required 16 to get my Gun Combat skill from 2 to 3

Makes sense, but I think you have to make the roll at the end of each study period, to see if it worked or if the study period was wasted? If so, then tbh marking it e.g. 6/16 to me would lead to forgetting to make those end-of-study-period checks.

My group's just getting me to track their/the ship's finances and study periods for them on my GM's excel sheet to be easier on everyone (and less mucking about on the character sheets).

In the previous version of Traveller there was the ability to improve characteristics much the same way as skills - but that seems to have been removed from Traveller 2e. My players and I are a bit upset over this (a bad die roll characteristic HAS to be lived with forever unless you get augments, rather than worked on in game... which realistically people can by going to the gym, etc...). Is this an oversight? Have I missed something? If this is deliberate, how might you guys house-rule it? Maybe same as skills, 8 weeks per study period and a number of study periods required equal to the characteristic level being studied for?

mancerbear said:

This definitely seems the most likely to be the right way to look at it but do keep in mind, you need to do that training in individual chunks...

Moving a skill from 2 to 3 isn't 24 weeks of training, it's 3 seperate 8 week training periods.

FentonGib said:
In the previous version of Traveller there was the ability to improve characteristics much the same way as skills - but that seems to have been removed from Traveller 2e. My players and I are a bit upset over this (a bad die roll characteristic HAS to be lived with forever unless you get augments, rather than worked on in game... which realistically people can by going to the gym, etc...). Is this an oversight? Have I missed something? If this is deliberate, how might you guys house-rule it? Maybe same as skills, 8 weeks per study period and a number of study periods required equal to the characteristic level being studied for?
If I were going to allow them to improve their attributes over time, I would still set some limit to what they could do. No matter how hard they tried, an INT 5 should not be able to read a few books and take a few classes and end up with an INT of 15. People can improve their STR or DEX but I can't imagine no matter what I tried to do today, I could never be as strong as that 20 year old who has been working out all along. It should be slow and costly to get up to the higher levels of attributes.

Back