Strend

Jak Nazryth

Mongoose
I'm at work (as usual)... does anyone have the Mongoose Aslan book handy?
Can somebody verify the TL for Strend, in the Strend Cluster? I seem to remember that it's a TL-F.
If it's a bother, I can wait another 4-6 hours before I get home and check myself.
I want to email a fellow gamer friend of mine the location of Strend for quality, high-tech cybernetics, but I want to make sure I get the TL right before sending the info.
Thanks

Thanks.
That is what I thought. I was looking at it late last night to verify, but then opened Travellermap on my lunch break
The Travellermap has Strend as E while Mongoose has Strend as F.
Since Mongoose is "official" and licensed to produce Traveller material, particularly since the Trojan Reach is now being fully developed, Mongoose supersedes the Travellermap data for the Trojan Reach.
I appreciate the rapid response. :)

Several worlds including Strend and Theev were downgraded as part of the T5 project. In the second edition mongoose traveller book Pirates of Drinax: Theev cluster, Theev has likewise been downgraded to Tl 14. AFAIK Travellermap.com is the official canon. perhaps Matt can weigh in on this.

Spartan159 said:
Several worlds including Strend and Theev were downgraded as part of the T5 project. In the second edition mongoose traveller book Pirates of Drinax: Theev cluster, Theev has likewise been downgraded to Tl 14. AFAIK Travellermap.com is the official canon. perhaps Matt can weigh in on this.

The Theev book is particularly confused in that regard, as the UPP in the table does indeed list it as TL14/E, while the map on the same page lists it as TL15/F. (Checking back in the 2e CRB, it's TL14 there too.)

Given that these are pocket empires/minor polities, there's really no difference between them being TL14 and TL15. In the context of the thread, if one wanted to get mechanist, it'd mean that the +3 Physical Augments couldn't be gotten at Strend, but that's about it. (And if you're fine with your Travellers both having 5 MCr to spend individually and them blowing it on stat-boosting items, there's no reason not to go to Art Deco Space France.)

Spartan159 said:

This is true - Travellermap is the source we now use, and you will see various worlds updated when we re-release the Trojan Reach as part of the Pirates of Drinax set in a couple of months or so.

msprange said:
This is true - Travellermap is the source we now use, and you will see various worlds updated when we re-release the Trojan Reach as part of the Pirates of Drinax set in a couple of months or so.

Bit of a thread-hijack, but can you provide any guidance on how bad an idea it is to start a Pirates of Drinax campaign using the existing MgT1 stuff with a view to transferring to the new rules when they're out? I'm just wondering if there's going to be a big gotcha there, such as a big change in the relative power level of the Harrier or the impact of an early MgT1 Drinax adventure.

bluekieran said:
Bit of a thread-hijack, but can you provide any guidance on how bad an idea it is to start a Pirates of Drinax campaign using the existing MgT1 stuff with a view to transferring to the new rules when they're out? I'm just wondering if there's going to be a big gotcha there, such as a big change in the relative power level of the Harrier or the impact of an early MgT1 Drinax adventure.

You are likely to be okay - there is some twiddling on the Harrier (in fact, there will be a whole supplement dedicated to it!), but nothing in the least campaign-shattering. Same with planets - the odd TL tweak here and there, but nothing that will fundamentally alter, say, Strend.

So is Alsan alien book 1 no longer Cannon???

If the Traveller.map webpage is now cannon, then Albe is considered a "hell world" under the remarks, which I am assuming is their version of trade codes.
Here is what it says about Albe under "remarks" on travellermap....

De He Hi In Po (desert, Hell World, High populations, Industrialized, Poor)

I have noticed several planets throughout that have "hell world" listed under the comments.
I cannot find anywhere on Travellermap.com what their definition of "hell world" is except that under data definitions, any plant with a size 3 or higher, a wide variety of atmospheres and with 0-2 hydrosphere is considered a "hell world". Mars would be a hell world and it is freezing cold.
When I think "Hell World" it think a planet hot enough to melt iron on the surface.
Does any of this make sense?
Will mongoose issue more trade codes to match some of the descriptions on the Travellermap site?

Jak Nazryth said:
So is Aslan alien book 1 no longer Cannon???

If the Traveller.map webpage is now cannon, then Albe is considered a "hell world" under the remarks, which I am assuming is their version of trade codes.
Here is what it says about Albe under "remarks" on travellermap....

De He Hi In Po (desert, Hell World, High populations, Industrialized, Poor)

I have noticed several planets throughout that have "hell world" listed under the comments.
I cannot find anywhere on Travellermap.com what their definition of "hell world" is except that under data definitions, any plant with a size 3 or higher, a wide variety of atmospheres and with 0-2 hydrosphere is considered a "hell world". Mars would be a hell world and it is freezing cold.
When I think "Hell World" it think a planet hot enough to melt iron on the surface.
Does any of this make sense?
Will mongoose issue more trade codes to match some of the descriptions on the Travellermap site?

I'm thinking the classifications come from T5 as I believe this is a FFE led initiative. I don't have T5 with me, might be worth looking it up there.

As an uneducated guess, with Mars as an example, no water, no atmosphere that's remotely breathable and that cold might not be Dante's Inferno but sure sounds hellish to me!

Those are the ranges for world Size, Atmosphere and Hydrology for a Hell world and yes, it's from T5. Worlds of less than 3 (Mercury) are too small, pretty much small solar bodies than planets. They have tainted or hard to breath air and they have very low surface liquid. A hell world.

With such a loaded word, I wish they had a written definition, a short paragraph or even a few words, in T5. (Yes I have a copy)
It sounds like "hell world" isn't necessarily hot, (T5 has a separate designation for "hot" worlds... which is what confused me in the first place with the "hell world" designation) It appears a hell world is simply a low water planet with an atmosphere that's hard to survive without breathing apparatus. Nothing to do with heat.

Marc Miller's Agent of the Imperium (which uses T5 rules for all its assumptions) describes Hellworld as "inhospitable, with tainted atmosphere and low surface water availability."

So apparently nothing to do with climate, but instead an extreme and dangerous environment.

Jak Nazryth said:
So is Alsan alien book 1 no longer Cannon???

Well... right this minute it is :)

The Trojan Reach is getting revised in the forthcoming Pirates of Drinax pack, and we will be using Travellermap as our canon source - however, it is possible that our work on Drinax will change Travellermap (has already happened once today!), so they sort of bounce off one another. Travellermap is our common touchstone though.

I really like how the Traveller Map links to system descriptions on the Traveller Wiki.

I'm really pleased to see a digital format "product" being used this way.

It's become my preferred reference for games set in the Third Imperium.

Back