Starline 2500 Lyran Light Cruiser

I always thought this was a very good looking fleet and it appears these are going to be terrific in 2500.

Any idea when we will see them in the game?

Mmm, lunch...

Same comments re the engines and ESGs as the DN.

Otherwise, a workmanlike model of this 'bad guy' ship.

Nomad said:
Mmm, lunch...

Same comments re the engines and ESGs as the DN.

Otherwise, a workmanlike model of this 'bad guy' ship.

Dan can you mail me an image? can't view facespace in work, or indeed NEVER, horrible thing it is.

The shape is lovelybut the level of detailing is woeful.

The ship designs and level of detail need to go beyond what someone could do with strips of plasticard!

I like the design, it reminds me of the Great Republics wonderful Balvarin class Fleet Carriers :)

I do think the middle bit would look better reversed...........

agree needs more details and some gun turrets ;)

Da Boss said:

You do realise those little bit phaser bumps ARE ball and socket gun turrents right? People take a moment to comprehend the scale these are being molded at. These ships are much bigger than you think they are. Look at Capital Ships in BSG or Star Wars thoseships are so large you usually can't even pick up the weapon turrents on them. Why do people keep asking for them here?

Rambler said:
Da Boss said:

You do realise those little bit phaser bumps ARE ball and socket gun turrents right? People take a moment to comprehend the scale these are being molded at. These ships are much bigger than you think they are. Look at Capital Ships in BSG or Star Wars thoseships are so large you usually can't even pick up the weapon turrents on them. Why do people keep asking for them here?
maybe because the ships in the starfleet universe are smaller than starwars? maybe because they don't want ships that are so devoid of detail they maty as well have an egg on a flight stand?
personally, i just want some panel lines. not fussed about gun emplacements, these are very rarely seen in any startrek franchise.

Rambler said:
Da Boss said:

Star Trek ships are very small compared to B5 and 40K who have cool looking turrets - this is again a culture difference - I like gun turets and think they look cool and thats all I need. You don't - equally fine. Both views are euqally valid.

also you did notice the smiley at the end of my statement implying its was a joke as I am well aware such massive deviation from the SFU aint gonna happen........

While gun turrets wouldn't be quite relevant, making the ESG look a little more threatening than a rectangle would be good.

And since when did Star Trek ships have ball and socket phaser turrets? :shock: :lol:

The turrets are likely from the phaser bumps added to the Franz Joseph ships in the Star Fleet Technical Manual.

(If FB isn't an option for some, there are direct thread links available on the ADB BBS.)

For my part, if there needs to be more detail (does no-one actually like having smooth lines on their ships anymore?) I would go for the kind of hull panels Adam Turner used for his 3D Lyran art.

Greg Smith said:
Nerroth said:
(does no-one actually like having smooth lines on their ships anymore?)
Did anyone? Even George Melies had panel lines in 1902. :lol:
Matt Jefferies did. ;) From Designing the Starship Enterprise - By Matt Jefferies:
He theorized that since space was an extremell dangerous place, starship engineers would not put any important machinery on the outside of their vessel. This meant that, logically, the hull would be smooth. Not everyone agreed with Jefferies and he had to fight his corner. "I constantly had to fight anyone who wanted to put surface details on the thing," he says.

AdrianH said:
Greg Smith said:
Nerroth said:
(does no-one actually like having smooth lines on their ships anymore?)
Did anyone? Even George Melies had panel lines in 1902. :lol:
Matt Jefferies did. ;) From Designing the Starship Enterprise - By Matt Jefferies:
He theorized that since space was an extremell dangerous place, starship engineers would not put any important machinery on the outside of their vessel. This meant that, logically, the hull would be smooth. Not everyone agreed with Jefferies and he had to fight his corner. "I constantly had to fight anyone who wanted to put surface details on the thing," he says.

That's not half-bad theory.

But problem with that being boring miniatures. Boring miniatures don't tend to sell well...

I sort of agree with this idea, except (a) the Enterprise has a reasonable amount of external detail, (b) some things (such as sensors, emitters, shield grid, weapons, communications arrays) would need to be on the outside, (c) real space craft are not exactly featureless, and (d) any external features would be protected by shields.

In the real world my car has to have headlights, wing mirrors, radiator grill, rear light clusters, an aerial for the radio, windows, an exhaust and wheels - all of which detract from the smooth lines. :lol:

Greg Smith said:
While gun turrets wouldn't be quite relevant, making the ESG look a little more threatening than a rectangle would be good.

Apparently Mr Cole says no :roll:

What Greg said - plus Trek/SFU is no more realistic than most other Sci-fi show/games .............not that thats a bad thing mind you

Da Boss said:
Greg Smith said:

Apparently Mr Cole says no :roll:

Just read that. The box of paperclips on my desk looks just like an ESG.

Back