STALINGRAD!!!!

Who would support?buy a WW2 games based off of SST

• Yes Commrad! I Will join you will driveing the facist from the mother land

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are to many! I give up and will not support the game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Reinheitsgebot (Bavarian Beer Purity Law) adopted in 1516 is a beer marketers' dream, but was originally introduced to preserve wheat supplies as much as to ensure beer quality and control prices.

By mandating that beer could only use water, malt, barley and hops, the Bavarian Crown was making sure enough wheat was available to make poor people's bread rather than rich people's beer.

By the C19, the law had become a point of pride in Bavaria and was made part of the price of Bavaria joining Prussia's new expanded 'Germany'.

On the plus side, it means Germans have become very good at making this style of beer. It did however extinguish many other valid beer brewing traditions; notably the aforementioned wheat beer, as well as fruit beer and anything other than barley/hops/malt beer.

That's why, although German beer is excellent, many of the more interesting European beers come from places like The Czech Republic or Belgium - which have similar brewing trraditions, but no dead hand of the Reinheitsgebot stifling innovation and experimentation.

btw, my favourite 'German style' beer on the mass market is still Dutch - good old Heineken. So much better now they have started brewing it in my country so it is available fresh and at local prices. Unlike wine, beer does not improve with age.

logan said:
Still, I stand by my opinion, we don't need any more historical games really.
Since this thread veered off into another subject entirely, I'll try to steer it somewhere else too...

Anyone know of a PUBLISHED* 28mm WWII rule set that has points based army lists?

Anyone...?

I know some buddies of mine who don't play (and won't play, mostly because they don't like the models) SST were commenting on how they were hoping for a good 28mm WWII game system. These guys all play 15mm Flames of War, btw. To them "a good game system" means they want point based lists and games that last only a couple hours. If Mongoose can't meet those requirements I hope they don't bother with any WWII ruleset. However, if they can I'll bet they'll hit an as yet untapped market of potential 28mm WWII gamers.

And if Mongoose Publishing follows the FoW style of packaging to sell miniatures, they'll do just as well as FoW. Make it easy to buy a unit for the game of interest, the item will sell.

*By published I mean I can buy it (or have my retailer order it) in a store. And no, Flames of War is not an option to scale up to 28mm, to anyone who's ever played it that should be obvious.

General Veers,

Those are very interesting points, and you have entirely convinced me.

I was mistaken when I said they would be just another WW2 company, because looked at in those terms, you are right, there are no competing games.

Still won't play it, but good idea.

Um, yes you need tunnelling to do Stalingrad properly. Troops on both sides made extensive use of existing tunnels and created tunnels.

I've played a lot of Stalingrad WWII in 28mm using a variety of rule systems most of which failed completely but I must recommend

I ain't been shot Mum by the Two Fat Lardies, which does work
Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames, which works surprisingly well
Death by Schmeiser, which was printed in Miniature Wargames on a single page and works far, far too well.

All of these provided interesting games able to handle both Human Wave and Sniper duels.

I'd say no unless thay can crack the morale issue, in which case I'd say yes.

sebastian said:
Um, yes you need tunnelling to do Stalingrad properly. Troops on both sides made extensive use of existing tunnels and created tunnels.

I've played a lot of Stalingrad WWII in 28mm using a variety of rule systems most of which failed completely but I must recommend

I ain't been shot Mum by the Two Fat Lardies, which does work
Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames, which works surprisingly well
Death by Schmeiser, which was printed in Miniature Wargames on a single page and works far, far too well.

All of these provided interesting games able to handle both Human Wave and Sniper duels.

I'd say no unless thay can crack the morale issue, in which case I'd say yes.

could we get some linkage or more information... this sounds interesting

[/quote]There is a general rule that no one country can produce truly good wine AND truly good beer.
and to go off topic again, SAustralia makes good wine (world class) and great beer so, some countries (few and far between) can make good wines and beers...

Jacob's Creek, Wolfblas, Eaglemont.. all great red wines.

VB, Crown Larger, James Boags, are great beers (again, world class) even Twooeys new's pretty good compared to most beers.

logan said:
There is a general rule that no one country can produce truly good wine AND truly good beer.
and to go off topic again, SAustralia makes good wine (world class) and great beer so, some countries (few and far between) can make good wines and beers...

VB, Crown Larger, James Boags, are great beers (again, world class) even Twooeys new's pretty good compared to most beers.

That original comment was mine, to your reply I have 2 ripostes:

1) What someone consideres good is highly subjective

2) I said it was a general rule, and as everyone knows, rules can have exceptions :lol:

LBH

logan said:

Don't forget Cooper's, it's from SA aswell and is a pretty nice beer !!!

I said it was a general rule, and as everyone knows, rules can have exceptions

hehe, as this forum proves many times over....

Oh, and ASD, Coopers is pretty good, but I'm not a big fan of beers with sediments..... (and I know not all coopers beers have sediment...)

Australia does indeed make some truly excellent wines! Three of my personal favorites are Perth Pink, the Hobart Muddy, and the Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga (the one with the bouquet like an Aboriginal armpit). :lol:

Seriously though, folks, both Australia and South Africa have some very tasty and highly-regarded wines. I was in a wine club a while back and found some truly outstanding gems from both countries. I was always good to order an extra bottle once I heard the girl on the phone say "South Effrica." *heart skips a beat* :D

As for Stalingrad...I haven't heard anything good about either their wine or beer, so I voted "no" in the poll.

Regards.

ScipioAmericanus said:
As for Stalingrad...I haven't heard anything good about either their wine or beer, so I voted "no" in the poll.

Regards.

I imagine their vodka is pretty good though. :wink:

Oh darn!

I love that film! I haven't watched it in a long time, so I guess I'd forgotten that line.

*mental note to self: play 'Air America' soundtrack tonight*

I have NEVER seen America's "A Horse With No Name" performed any better than in that film!!! :lol:

Back