SST Club at Brookhurst Hobbies

chris_valera said:
"Although I want to particpate, the clause that I need everything fully painted is kinda disheartening. Im just getting into the game and I want to play bugs...and to paint up that much while still having a life is going to be a bit of a problem."

I'm gonna have to be a whiny little bitch and agree. The army lists from the rulebook thing is kinda harsh too. I understand, but is the army book that much different from the rulebook? I'm not against buying it, just doing that *and* painting up an army is a little much for what little free time I have. I just bought two boxes of WASPs and I still need a third... plus conversion parts... plus converting them... plus painting them...

But Brookhurst Hobbies is a ways away, so I probably couldn't make it anyway.

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Chris, I understand but you have to understand that the Army Books did introduce significant differences from the main rulebook army list in terms of points, options, and squad selections. So in short, yes, you need to build your list from the army book.

I understand that people have busy lives and painting can take up a lot of time. That is a descision you have to make for yourself if you think you don't have the time to partiticpate in an escalation league.

Keep in mind, however, that at the end of 12 weeks you'll have a fully painted army, so the idea is to help motivate people to find time to paint. You'd be surprised how much you can get accomplished if you just set aside an hour each night to painting.

LTJason said:
chris_valera said:
"Although I want to particpate, the clause that I need everything fully painted is kinda disheartening. Im just getting into the game and I want to play bugs...and to paint up that much while still having a life is going to be a bit of a problem."

I'm gonna have to be a whiny little bitch and agree. The army lists from the rulebook thing is kinda harsh too. I understand, but is the army book that much different from the rulebook? I'm not against buying it, just doing that *and* painting up an army is a little much for what little free time I have. I just bought two boxes of WASPs and I still need a third... plus conversion parts... plus converting them... plus painting them...

But Brookhurst Hobbies is a ways away, so I probably couldn't make it anyway.

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Chris, I understand but you have to understand that the Army Books did introduce significant differences from the main rulebook army list in terms of points, options, and squad selections. So in short, yes, you need to build your list from the army book.

I understand that people have busy lives and painting can take up a lot of time. That is a descision you have to make for yourself if you think you don't have the time to partiticpate in an escalation league.

Keep in mind, however, that at the end of 12 weeks you'll have a fully painted army, so the idea is to help motivate people to find time to paint. You'd be surprised how much you can get accomplished if you just set aside an hour each night to painting.

Sure, I understand, but I'm just in it for the models. So doing a rush job on some models just to get them to tabletop standard isn't going to happen, even if I had the hour a day to spare, which in all honesty I don't.

It has fired me up though, and I am taking steps to aquire some army books on the cheap. We'll see how things pan out.

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Sorry guys, I've been real busy at work lately and will be starting school again here in the next couple of months. I'm also in a slump with miniatures gaming so I'm not sure at this point if this is going to happen (seeing as how Brookhurst never responds to my e-mails anyway).

Have you tried calling to bug them? If it doesn't fly, would people still be interested in schedualling at least a once a month get together? Something along the lines of every 3rd Saturday of the month?

All right, so what days would work for people? Weekends? Particular days of the work work? Also, are people looking for something to do in the afternoon, or at night? And finally, I haven't been to Brookhurst in a long time, but they have terrain for people to use right?

I'd be interested in playing 1-2 times per month. I live in Riverside, but don't mind driving a bit for a good game.

Alright then, would you guys be willing to jump into this head first and do our first night this coming Friday (Aug 25)? From there we can then discuss how often people would be willing to do it (1-2 does sound nice to me) and then what weeks we should go.

PS I am just building my Arachnid force at the moment, by the time the first day does go I should only have 26 warriors and 6 hoppers, so if anyone wouldn't mind letting me borrow some of theirs to play larger games that would be swell (though I would also like to play some small games to get familier with the rules)

Maybe for this Friday; I'll have a better idea as the week progresses, but should have a firm answer by Wednesday.

BTW, might be a good idea to post which armies you'll be bringing. I'm bringing my MI to play, but can bring my bugs along (albeit unpainted) to fill in for some larger games if wanted or needed.

Bug army is:
50 warriors
12 hoppers
10 firefries
3 blister/blaster
2 tankers
1 plasma

Ya, good Idea KJ about the people posting what they got. Hopefully somebody has some Skinnies to run to change things up a bit. Hope you can make it ;)

I can make it friday and I'll let you use any of my bugs waldo. I'll bring my skinnies too, largely a WIP but my General's painted.

Sky Captain said:
Thanks to everyone who came down the 5th and 6th to Brookhurst when I was in town doing Demos. I appreciated your time.

No problem chief, thanks for being so kewl to that babylon 5 guy... :lol:

--Chris
www.chrisvalera.com

Hey guys -

I'll be there Friday night, but won't be able to get there until around 8pm.

See you then!

EDIT: I shall be there at 7 (maybe a tad earlier) and will be wearing a Camo trucker hat as beacon to all you people who are attending. Cya all there.

Thanks for the games, gentlemen. Next time, I'll be better versed so as not to take so long. I'll also be bringing different dice - the ones I used tonight are being fed into the grinder, one at a time.... :twisted:

I am glad to see that even though the escalation league idea fell through, this link was still able to get you guys together to game. I am sure that Brookhurst was happy to see you there too. Keep it up guys! :D

Ya, thanks for those of you that came, I had a great time. Plus, its good to know next time we'll at least have one other player for sure. Tentativly, what do you guys think of the second Friday of September (the 8th) as the next time to meet? Maybe finalize it before the end of the week and that way we can contact Gabrielle at Brookhurst to help with doing some instore advertisment for us.

Back