Spells

wen

Mongoose
So let me try to get this straight.

Each spell has its own Percentage?
You have to learn each one seperately?
And build them up?

No. Each rune has its own skill that must be worked up by itself. Each rune allows for the casting of many spells. Spells are learned separately, but are not separate skills. You are able to learn and use any spell that you have the correct rune for, and all use the same skill roll.

So then a spell that requires two or more runes requires two or more runecasting rolls????????

wen said:
So then a spell that requires two or more runes requires two or more runecasting rolls????????

No, you only have to make the runcasting roll for the rune that is asscoiated with the spell-it is the one that is in italics.

For eaxmple: The Babel spell on page 68 requires that the character has integrated the Communication and Disorder runes to learn. As Disorder is in italics, it is the runcasting skill used to cast the spell.

atgxtg said:
wen said:

No, you only have to make the runcasting roll for the rune that is asscoiated with the spell-it is the one that is in italics.

For eaxmple: The Babel spell on page 68 requires that the character has integrated the Communication and Disorder runes to learn. As Disorder is in italics, it is the runcasting skill used to cast the spell.

Talking of Babel... (whoop whoop, threadjack alert!)

Does this prevent the target casting any spells? I assume yes...

gamesmeister said:
atgxtg said:
wen said:

Talking of Babel... (whoop whoop, threadjack alert!)

Does this prevent the target casting any spells? I assume yes...

Yes it does. It mentions that " a spellcaster would be unable to cast spells." in the description.

That does seem a bit overpowered. Shut down a spellcaster with a 1 point spell.

Another derailment.

Can anyone tell me what the game effect of the Emotion spell is? There doesn't seem to be any.

I guess it would just be up to the individual GM to determine? :?

Lord Twig said:
Can anyone tell me what the game effect of the Emotion spell is? There doesn't seem to be any.

There don't seem to be any game mechanical effects, only behavioural effects.

Simon Hibbs

Lord Twig said:
Another derailment.

Broo get what they are after without all the scratches?

I am strongly leaning towards throwing out all the spells that were not in a previous edition of RQ, and changeing the spells back to the old effects. Allof the "derailments" are the direct result on a change or addtion.

am strongly leaning towards throwing out all the spells that were not in a previous edition of RQ, and changeing the spells back to the old effects. Allof the "derailments" are the direct result on a change or addtion.

I think I will look at them on a case by case basis. I like some of them from flavour wise, some seem too strong and some too weak. Testing will tell.

I remember whinging a lot about the loss of Harmonize with RQ3 , but in retrospect it was very overpowered in RQ 2.

zanshin said:
I remember whinging a lot about the loss of Harmonize with RQ3 , but in retrospect it was very overpowered in RQ 2.

Just about everything was overpowered in RQ2. The list of common magic available to just about everybody was stacked with super powerful/useful magic, elementals kicked arse, etc. I remember thinking RQ3 would be a lot less fun when I first read it, because it was so much harder to get all the cool magic powers but in fact it allowed far more differentiation between characters.

We still don't know how cults will affect access to runes (if they do), and what the other magic systems will be like, or what additional rune magic spells are going to be come available.

It's early days yet.

Simon Hibbs

simonh said:
Just about everything was overpowered in RQ2. The list of common magic available to just about everybody was stacked with super powerful/useful magic, elementals kicked arse, etc. I remember thinking RQ3 would be a lot less fun when I first read it, because it was so much harder to get all the cool magic powers but in fact it allowed far more differentiation between characters.

Yes and no. Spells were also a whole heck of a lot harder to get, and magic point storage devices were much much rarer. I distinctly recall a group of our characters saving every penny and pooling our funds to buy one character a heal 6 spell so we'd have someone who could heal and restore limbs and such.

A typical highly experienced RuneLord or Priest typically also had only his personal magic points, his allied spirit and maybe a bound spirt to draw on for spells. You really had to ration your spellcasting in RQ2. Versus RQ3 where power spirits are cheap and spells are cheap. They had to slightly weaken the common spells in order to make things work.

zanshin said:
I think I will look at them on a case by case basis. I like some of them from flavour wise, some seem too strong and some too weak. Testing will tell.
Absolutely. That's the trouble with new rules - you got to try them...

zanshin said:
...because of this! :D Every PC had harmonize...:(

Gnarsh said:
Yes and no. Spells were also a whole heck of a lot harder to get, and magic point storage devices were much much rarer. I distinctly recall a group of our characters saving every penny and pooling our funds to buy one character a heal 6 spell so we'd have someone who could heal and restore limbs and such.

Well, yes, spells were more expensive and were more valued. We used to buy healing potions as well, in case the person with Heal 6 went down.

POW Storage crystals were not always that rare. If you fought a highish level NPC who had a POW Storage Crystal and defeated him, then it became yours. Do this often enough and you build up a huge collection of POW Storage. Defeat someone who was as powerful as you were and you got all their crystals as well. It soon mounts up.

Gnarsh said:
A typical highly experienced RuneLord or Priest typically also had only his personal magic points, his allied spirit and maybe a bound spirt to draw on for spells. You really had to ration your spellcasting in RQ2. Versus RQ3 where power spirits are cheap and spells are cheap. They had to slightly weaken the common spells in order to make things work.

Well, after a good while playing, we had boosted CHA to 21 and had the full whack of 7 Bound Spirits, so this gave us 70-100 POW to cast spells with. Even without CHA 21, you could bind 1 Spirit per 3 CHA.

It's not hard to do, especially if you know where a Spirit Pool is - you just go there when you need Bound Spirits and risk Spirit Combat. If you were a Rune Priest, you got Spirit Block from Flesh Man and if a powerful spirit came along, you could block it out and run away, or you cast Spirit Shield and hoped for the best.

POW Storage crystals were not always that rare. If you fought a highish level NPC who had a POW Storage Crystal and defeated him, then it became yours. Do this often enough and you build up a huge collection of POW Storage. Defeat someone who was as powerful as you were and you got all their crystals as well. It soon mounts up.

Yes , it was amazing the number of opponents my players had with fetishes or balls of tails (see Plunder) that were tied only to the bad guy, that was one way of dealing with pow store crystal inflation. Even so they are all now rune level and with 20-30 stored POW in addition to their allied spirit.

Binding spirits wasnt that difficult in RQ2 either, luckily my players have never really sussed on to it.

soltakss said:

That is the key thing. Defeat the guy with the POW storage crystal and the arsenal of spells! Lost too many PCs that way! :wink:

Back