Spaceship vs. Starship

AnotherDilbert said:
Moppy said:
Because that would require the modules were built as ship hulls and it would cost a fortune.

An empty module cost MCr 2, the same as an entire Scout hull.

In MgT2 it would cost about MCr 1.8, the same as any other 30 Dt streamlined hull.

Swapping modules to load cargo would be expensive for that 1.8 MCr module overhead. I'd expect cargo to be loaded and unloaded normally into the same module.

The module should be be to reconfigure the craft quickly, rather than to facilitiate loading.

55e6b53c75e1de55c63cbeec170b8c3e.jpg

I suspect they're using a docking clamp.

You could build the modules as Fragile. Maybe discount the cost if they don’t need life support (or power).

That's an Eagle from Space 1999. The square bit in the middle is a module. IIRC they operated on the moon only, and would not worry about streamlining.

I could be wrong because this show is old.

This does raise the question of how they got to the moon in the first place.

Moppy said:
That's an Eagle from Space 1999. The square bit in the middle is a module. IIRC they operated on the moon only, and would not worry about streamlining.

I could be wrong because this show is old.

This does raise the question of how they got to the moon in the first place.

The trusty Eagle crash-landed on many a planet during the series! And it left behind their module and flew w/o issue as well with the center spine only.

From the Deep Space Exploration Handbook, it could be a twenty tonne base module, fitted as a detachable shipboard component, and anchored in place with piles driven into rock, when detached dirtside.

phavoc said:
The trusty Eagle crash-landed on many a planet during the series!

Was it ever able to land normally? It doesn't look particularly aerodynamic.

All starships were divided into different classes:
- Yachts are luxurious ships owned by wealth
- Starfighters were single or double maneuvering starships used to intercept and destroy various targets
- Bombers are slow, small craft designed to deliver pinpoint bomb attacks
- Scouts are small ships that checked a certain area before the main forces arrived there
- Transports are ships designed to transport people or goods
- Shuttles are vehicles carrying any personnel
- Cargo ships are light carriers
- Fire support warships are assault ships primarily used for atmospheric combat
- Patrol ships - starships located in certain systems that were devoid of hyperdrive and fought in the areas assigned to them
- Large ships are huge warships, the main unit in space battles
- Space stations are fixed structures located in orbit or deep space

Back