Space Craft sizes

leprecon

Mongoose
Hi all

Hoping for a simple response to this one and maybe some ideas.

Situation:
Crew in a modified Fat Trader. In an asteroid belt and have just lost Hull and Power on board due to combat and a failed boarding attempt when the pilot started using asteroids to scrap boarding ship off.

Problem:
They now need to evac to shuttle to a nearby safe point. I want to make this more interesting than yes you get there. I know one player will be venting any left atmosphere in case of surviving boarders. Gravity will go.

Looking in the rules players move 6metres a move turn in combat and I will run it in a combat way. On the maps in the rulebook there are squares but in no place can I find how bing a square is. Can anyone tell me how big is a square?

What effect will Zero-G have on movement, I am now think difficult terrain. So half movement. Will players have to do a Zero-G check to move and thos without not move if they fail?

One player has no Zero-G training and has got around this using magnetic boots to clamp on. I have no problem with that but will he has skill checks to move as he has no Vacc Suit or Zero-G training?

Also anything else you can think may happen in the dash to the shuttle. Nothing to kill them but maybe put pressure onj the players.

Cheers in advance

LepRecon

Deckplan square are generally 1.5 meters per side.

Zero-G 'speed' will depend on a lot of things. The magnetic boot walker definitely is a candidate for slower than 6m/2s combat speed - considering that is like good athlete running sprinting speeds! 1.5m/s (half speed) is still almost a run in zero-g. I'd put in an athletics check (over the course) to make sure he doesn't blow out an ankle (no negative DM for skill - though Dex DM could be).

The Zero-G skilled folks should be able to 'fly' if they have thrusters or a good spot to 'push off' from (ladders are even better). I'd give them 3 plus Dex DM meters per second. Think of it like pushing off a pool underwater.

I would have them do Zero-G checks if they are trying to get out fast or do something a little more complicated. Failure wouldn't mean they can't move - just that the result is less satisfactory (more time, possible injury based on Effect).

Assume they are all in suits (non-skilled guy might have Dex/Int check to make sure he gets his on correctly if someone ain't helping). Decompression should have already been done - but if they still have atmo then decomp will take some time (otherwise things become 'explosive decompression')

Is most of the movement intended to be internal, or external? And will there be any atmosphere left, or will that have already have been vented?

Assuming you have some players with no zero-g skill, they should be able to 'swim' down the passeges clumsily, but easily enough. They can navigate the corridors and access ladders, but don't expect for them to do anything else.

Perhaps any player with zero-g skills can give them a gentle shove down the passageway to the end, so all the have to do is bang their heads, but metal bulkheads may drive them mad... :)

Will they be towing any gear with them? Like supplies, gear, weapons, etc? Do you plan on having them encounter a pirate or two? Anybody boarding a ship not in a EV suit is, well, deserving to die a stupid death when the vacum comes.

So it could be interesting that you have pirates with no zero-g skills (quite possible, but again, kinda stupid in their parts) using improvised weapons or boarding weapons trying to kill the players so the pirates can steal their shuttle and get off the dying ship.

Of course, it could always be fun if players leave, and pirates manage to repair the ship slightly... then the players might be tempted/required to re-board their own ship, and the hunted becomes the hunters.

leprecon said:
Hi all

Hoping for a simple response to this one and maybe some ideas.

What effect will Zero-G have on movement, I am now think difficult terrain. So half movement. Will players have to do a Zero-G check to move and thos without not move if they fail?

One player has no Zero-G training and has got around this using magnetic boots to clamp on.

Cheers in advance

LepRecon

These are great questions, means you're looking to give the players a good time!

The Diff Terrain/half-movement idea seems very reasonable for those with Zero-G 0 or Vacc Suit 1; I would suggest quarter movement for unskilled players with no one to help them, especially the guy with magnet boots. Vacc Suit 0 does nothing for improving movement rate, so quarter move for those players also. Zero-G is the skill check to prevent mishaps - but a Difficult Athletics (any) or Dex will work too... and an Art (Dance) check might be fun to roleplay if anyone has it.

Fail a check and you're out of control - damage to vacc suit and/or player is possible if Effect is bad enough. Regaining control is a Difficult (best appropriate skill player has) Dex check, takes one full combat round to regain control. How often you want the players to roll this check is up to you, but every combat round will be murder on them... maybe every five combat rounds (once every 30 seconds) unless they do something tricky...

If the players are in big open areas like a cargo bay I would allow double the above movement rates. Once outside the ship, the above move rates apply while clinging to the hull, but a leap of faith to a nearby vessel gets the double rate also.

Players with Zero-G 1 or better get normal (ie NOT difficult terrain) move rates, doubled in open areas/vacuum. Players with Vacc Suit 2 or better get same. This will separate the men from the boys so to speak and give the players a chance to execute some kind of plan, even if Magnet Boots is way behind the rest of the group.

In fact, they might have to go back and get Magnet Boots! Which leads nicely in to phavoc's idea of taking back the ship...

CHeers all

Great info. The main one for movement and square size be a great help. I am hoping for so fun filled madness with time stress on them. Like impact warnings from the asteroid field they are in.

It is a basic journey made difficult by conditions. I like the quarter move for the Magnetic boots guy, I may give him athletics checks to improve his speed.

Most of the movement will be internal, well I hope it will but since it is a party of players I may find a evacc situation happening.

ONe more situation is the ship will power down soon after the start due to damage. I know Vacc Suits will have lights but what effects will this have on the shuttle bay doors. I presume a manual override/emergency power system. The ships Power Plant was destroyed in combat.

Cheers again

LepRecon

Zero G doesn't just affect your ability to stick to the floor. Magnetic boots might stop you from drifting around but everything else will still be weightless, though not massless. I'd give a Dex penalty to the guy with no Zero G training for any activity other than basic movement. Characters with even Zero G 0 will at least have some experience with this and can avoid the Dex penalty.

For amusement, watch as the character with no Zero G training tries to do something with a tool, forgets in the stress of the moment that there is no gravity, puts the tool down for a moment, and watches it drift away. :)

I had thought about the floating away problem, not sure how much of it will be a probelm. I have made the mistake of not asking what they are carrying from their personal kit and some players may now say they dont have there, Laptop or etc.. I will have to play the honesty card and get them to be honest about what they carry with themselves. I am hoping timne can be used up getting kit and then the bulk rather than weight problem may come into play.

LepRecon

leprecon said:
I had thought about the floating away problem, not sure how much of it will be a probelm. I have made the mistake of not asking what they are carrying from their personal kit and some players may now say they dont have there, Laptop or etc.. I will have to play the honesty card and get them to be honest about what they carry with themselves. I am hoping timne can be used up getting kit and then the bulk rather than weight problem may come into play.

LepRecon

If they didn't specify anything I'de say they are carrying what they usually do.

Ships dimenshions is first thing that comes in mind as lacking in ship suplements for MGT.

Thats simple and easy and should be there !

Back