Some new products...

It seems future regional sourcebooks are somewhat shorter (by 30-40 pages).
And 2 titles are schedules for June.

But I thought there was a scenario from the short story "the god in the bowl". :?

And still no Hyborian Bestiary.

I've been away from the forums a while... did Matt ever confirm that the bestiary was axed, and/or explain why? Or we still in the dark on that one?

It is reasonable to make some regional books shorter if there is not enough material for them. Still, I would prefer the regional books to remain 190 or 200-pages long (you can always squeeze a campaign there). But hey, at least in a couple of months we'll get some new stuff (hardbacks!).

By the way, the page count can change or this could be just a mistake (the description for Aquilonia says "Softback", the page count for AtTR is 180 and should be 190).

I don't understand why most of the time there are mixted books on market (half background, haf adventures). Frankly it's good to have a sourcebook but gretaer to have some adventures linked to it so that you can exploit it fully.

I remember at the beginning with AD&D, we had almost no detailed settings but a lot of scenarios. Now the trend has changed (and this is also true with D&D) where the number of adventures is proportionally small to the number of sourcebooks.

Probably because the consumer's demand for an adventure has changed - consumers want more realistic plots, more fully developed NPCs, more fully developed locations and less nose-leading - all of which are more difficult to write. (Here is a current thread on this board asking for more of just those things out of Mongoose's articles)

Instead of a scenario, role-players today want a mini-sourcebook.

Many of those early modules were pretty thread-bare affairs. They were actually easier to set just about anywhere. Modern scenerios are a bit harder to move because of all the background material put into them.

The King said:
I don't understand why most of the time there are mixted books on market (half background, haf adventures). Frankly it's good to have a sourcebook but gretaer to have some adventures linked to it so that you can exploit it fully.

I remember at the beginning with AD&D, we had almost no detailed settings but a lot of scenarios. Now the trend has changed (and this is also true with D&D) where the number of adventures is proportionally small to the number of sourcebooks.

It is simple economics.

Players will buy sourcebooks. Dungeon Masters will buy adventures.

You will therefore sell, at best, 1 adventure for every 5 sourcebooks you would sell. When the market was much larger (around 2,000,000 + in the early '80s), adventures were economical, because you could sell enough of them to make a profit. Today, the market is much, much smaller, and you cannot, in general, publish something that is exclusively an adventure and make it profitable.

Goodman Games does it, because they are extremely specialized and have sewn up their market. Troll Lord Game has only published two traditional adventures for C&C (Castle Zagyg is a sourcebook), so the jury is still out on the success or failure of those. Even WotC stopped publishing books that were just adventures. If you check the Necromancer boards, you will see that they are debating whether or not to continue publishing adventures, as the adventures they published through Kenzer & Company have not sold well.

JamesMishler said:
When the market was much larger (around 2,000,000 + in the early '80s)

Never thought about this. Is there any data anywhere in the www? My impression from the German RPG community is that it is not declining over the years.

I have never been active in RPG at all until Conan 8) , BUT...many friends and acquaintances in junior high or early high school (1979-1983?) were seriously into DnD. From my (outsider's) perspective, I always though the Gilded Age of RPG was about that time extending into the mid-80's perhaps. I am probably wrong...
Since then I did not hear of RPG at all until I bumped into websites on the net in roughly 2000.
Sorry if this is off-topic. :oops:

Back