Software Aids

Has anyone tried using any software aids for Conan as of yet? I am about to fire up the Pro Fantasy series for maps and such which seems like it would work fine for self made adventures.

I am really looking for something like Campaign Suite from Twin Rose but so far, I am not impressed. Anyone else using anything that works and supports the Conan system?

HLD

Only Word to keep files tidy, Excel to roll dice--"=RANDBETWEEN(1,20)", for example-- when the actual dice are out of reach, pen, paper.
Pretty basic. 8)

Yogah of Yag said:
Excel to roll dice--"=RANDBETWEEN(1,20)"
What version of Excel are you using? I have only RAND() which generates a value between 0 and 1.

Perplexed,
Ant

Ant said:
Yogah of Yag said:
Excel to roll dice--"=RANDBETWEEN(1,20)"
What version of Excel are you using? I have only RAND() which generates a value between 0 and 1.

Perplexed,
Ant

Microsoft Office XP Professional (2003) on a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop.
I had to select an option in Excel to load up a special little program in order for it to work.

Here's the instructions from HELP:

1. On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
2. In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then click OK.
3. If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.

Pushing the "F9" button refreshes the screen, essentially rolling an imaginary die. Hope that helps.

In Excel for d20 I use the formula: =RAND()*(20-1)+1
and substitute 4, 6, 8 etc. for the other dice.

For maps I use The Gimp. Here's a cut-paste about my technique from another post.

There's a free photo-editing program (similar to Photoshop) called the GIMP (Gnu Image Mapipulation Program) that I've found to be very useful for mapping. Here's what I do:

1. I learned to make custom brushes and patterns from a tutorial and made a one inch square. I saved the square as a pattern. Then used the bucket-fill feature to fill a white 8x11 or 8x13 background with it to get my starting sheet with gridlines.

2. Then add another layer of white to obscure the 1-inch grid sheet completely. Then use the Eraser tool to un-obsure the relevant gridlines on the map. It's like the old school art project where you'd heavily color a picture with black crayon and scrape it off in a pattern to reveal the masterpiece underneath.

3. Then add a transparent layer and name it terrain. This is where I draw contour lines for hills or draw pits, boulders, or immovable wreckage. You could also make a cobblestone brush for roads in civilized areas, or a pillar brush, or whatever. I design my brushes to fit into a 1 inch square for precision, but you could make them as large as you want if you dislike clicking a lot to paint a sheet.

4. Then add another transparent layer and name it foliage. I've made custom brushes for jungles and coniferous forests. You could also add a little number on the terrain and foliage brushes to indicate that jungle slows movement by 25%, or trackless jungle by 75% etc.

The amount of layers you can add is limited only by your RAM, but I've not needed more than 5 per map and this old PC handles that just fine.

I was really referring to Campaign Management software specific to gaming....

I am playing around with Campaign Cartographer 2 and some of the add-ons. Great stuff for mapping, but that is about it.

I am in the process of creating hundreds of NPC's for my campaign and really want something to use to quickly print them and keep them happy. I am trying to build a template using Omni-Form software but it is coming along slowly.

Back