So... wheres the Surcouf?

chaos0xomega

Mongoose
Seriously.... Matt.... wheres the Surcouf at? DM said he submitted it like 3 months ago, and still no Surcouf..... I NEED Surcouf, otherwise I don't play this game, or ACTA(I'm too lazy to do multiple orders...)...

Be patient. Not every article that is submitted gets included immediately. Mongoose still have several of my ACTA scenarios, some of which were submitted in the middle of last year.

Care to email/pm me the latest version? I.E. the one you submitted to S&P? So I can actually start playing the game and order my 30+ Surcouf minis?

Ok, I'm very much up on my WW2 history. I know my land war, and my air war, and I'm catching up on my naval. But whoa. I go to look up this seemingly simple thread... and find the French supersub. Whoa.

Latest version:

Speed: 4”/2”
Turning: 2
Target: 6+
Armour: 2+
Damage: 5/2
Crew: 5/2
Special Traits: Submersible, Aircraft 1
In Service: 1934

Weapon Range AD DD Special
Turret (2x 8”) 14” 1 1 Forward, Port, Starboard arc only
AAA 4” 1 -
Forward Torpedoes 10” 2 3 AP, Slow-Loading
Port/Starboard Torpedoes 10” 2 2 AP, No reloads
Port/Starboard/Aft Torpedoes 10” 1 3 AP, No reloads

Length: 361 ft.
Displacement: 4304 tons
Speed: 18/10 kts.
Crew: 110

Special Rules

1) Sea plane – the sea plane (a Besson MB.411) can be launched at the start of the turn following the turn on which the boat surfaced. If the sea plane is in the air it can direct gunfire out to 30”
2) Gunfire – the boat’s 8” guns can be fired on the same turn that the boat surfaces (the guns were loaded whilst the boat was submerged)
3) Damage – the boat cannot submerge if it takes any damage.

where are you getting information on weapon arcs? I can only find listing of weapons, not arrangement.

Chern

Chernobyl said:
where are you getting information on weapon arcs? I can only find listing of weapons, not arrangement.

Chern

Um, from the French? (just poking you Chern, lol) :lol:

BuShips said:
Chernobyl said:

Chern

Um, from the French? (just poking you Chern, lol) :lol:

BuShips, behave yourself! :wink:

There are a number of photos of the Surcouf, showing her twin 8" guns mounted in a "turret" built into the front of the large conning tower. Judging by the photos one might think her arc of fire on the 8" guns would be too restricted to allow full side arc fire, but DM and Mongoose may have access to other information.

I still want specs for the British steam-powered sub with the 12" main gun.... :twisted:

same here...I saw the model picture on wikipedia, and the turret doesn't really appear to rotate, but I could be wrong... the torpedo tubes aren't really shown either. the aft one is easliy identifiable though.

Chern

already said in this post : http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23695&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
DM said:
Ok, I have the definitive definition of Surcouf's firing arcs, taken from the official builders drawings. The turret traverse is 135 degrees to either side. Ammunition stowage is 300 rounds total (not 300 per gun as often quoted). The aft torpedo "turret" has a 300 degree arc centred astern, so it can fire port, starboard and aft.

Another interesting fact - immediately forward of the reserve 550mm torpedo stowage was the wine stowage: 5.2 tonnes (5200 litres) plus containers. Presumably consumption had a significant effect on the trim of the boat (not to mention the crew!).

Now that I ahve that I'll finalise a short article for S&P.

You may found the answer at "Musée national de la Marine, Palais de Chaillot , Paris" :p
But I haven't check.

From one of my French Navy chums who has access to the official boat's drawings.

LOL!

Now, someone mentioned Habbakuk. Now THAT is something I wanna see! I'll never use it, but still.

Oh and if anyone does stat it up, make sure to put rules in for planes sliding off the ice, lol(eah I know its not ice, just sawdust and ice mixed, still would be funny though).

Back