So, what's with the supplements?

Sounds like a great plan. I really want to see the K'kree and Hivers get their just due. The only thing stopping people from running campaigns in their regions is a dearth of material. As for the others, Aslan, Vargr, et al, rehashed material plus sweeter graphics and more detail (perhaps a few world profiles, unique ships, vehicles, etc.) would be welcome.

Plus, if you do K'kree, maybe we'll get a sector in that region. I know Martin has stated that someone invalidated his Gateway region (which publication did this?) but there are perhaps new ones to choose from. After all, no one was clamoring for Trojan Reach to be featured and now I see it as the most accessible sector on the map. Star's End sector or maybe Kaa!'Gul, here's looking at you! :shock:

I suspect some would not be as interested in repurchasing a line of Aliens books that is largely just the content of the 1e books with new layout and art, the conversions to 2e done, and a few other tweaks, especially not at the expense of getting entirely new material. Especially if a quarter of the first book is a reprint of what is available in Pirates of Drinax for 2e. However, including a few new bits on the Aslan in the new book might actually even be worse as owners of the Pirates of Drinax material might resent having to buy yet another book just for a small amount of new material. Perhaps a conversion guide to using the 1e books with 2e would suffice, while concentrating on putting out the xenos that didn't get coverage in 1e would be better.

OTOH, I'd be all over a Starports book with not only deckplans of some famous ports of the default setting, but modular deckplans with a construction system set of rules similar to what High Guard provides for ships that lets GMs create their own starports for their games with ready made maps of the different sections.

mac40k said:
OTOH, I'd be all over a Starports book with not only deckplans of some famous ports of the default setting, but modular deckplans with a construction system set of rules similar to what High Guard provides for ships that lets GMs create their own starports for their games with ready made maps of the different sections.

This could actually be another Kickstarter type project. While the game is called Traveller, the idea of focusing a game on a central planet or starport and branching out to the surrounding region is one that hasn't been explored much in recent publications. Way back when, GDW did things like Tarsus and Beltstrike that fleshed out individual systems. A generic guide that helps you build a starport to make it the central setting of your campaign would be really interesting.

msprange said:
A new Psion is about 60% written already, but is a longer term project. Ready when it is done kind of thing.
Yay, do you think this will be out in 2019 or later?

The points you all make on aliens are more than valid, and they could certainly use proper representation in the game. However, being who we are at Mongoose, we could not avoid the chance to 'fiddle' with the idea, and so this is what we have come up with:

Aliens of Charted Space. Spread across (perhaps) four volumes, each of 250-300 pages in size.

The first volume would cover the Aslan (drawn mainly from the Drinax material, but it makes sense to include all the major races together, and not force people to lash out for Drinax?), Zhodani, Vargr and K'kree. The idea here is a) it gives all the major races present around the Marches and Reach and b) the new ideas we have for the K'kree are just too cool not to include. Seriously, we plan to make herbivores awesome!

Volume 2 covers the Solomani, Hivers, and Droyne.

Volume 3 moves onto the wannabee major races - Darrians, Geonee and Suerrat.

Volume 4 covers minor races. And we can have volumes 5 and 6 until you all tell me 'okay, Matthew, we have enough aliens now!'

Each alien race would be covered in the same detail as Aslan in Drinax, so you get the history, physiology, tech, and careers, as well as CSC, High Guard and vehicle sections. We would not be including 'home' sectors for them.
That sounds wonderful, I eagerly await books 2 & 3, and will also definitely pick up books 1 and likely 4.

A huge starport with maps and lot of details would be great. So much time is spent on starports since players in transit often do not bother going planet side. It would of course be very interesting to see the same work for all sizes of starports.

An encyclopaedia over aliens in charted space would be fabulous! Thick hardback volumes, I have already started to strengthen the shelves in my Ikea bookshelf. :)

Old School said:

The question I would ask is what alien races do people actually use/want to use in their campaigns? I rarely if ever see the Hivers or K'Kree mentioned in anyone's adventures, questions, etc. Given the preponderance for campaigns being set in the Spinward Marches, Trojan Reach, and to a lesser extent the Solomani Rim and Alpha Crucis sectors, I would put the Floriani and the Darrians as a higher priority than the K'Kree or Hivers. They are more accessible in terms of game material (and also less alien, which is a matter of preference) In other words, give people what they can use to add to what they have. That's just me, though. A case can certainly be made to create something something entirely new to work with, but if you go with K'Kree and Hivers, are you going to be able to crank out campaigns and sector books to go with?

My players play humans. Period. Back in the 80’s Vargr and Aslan were occasional used as player characters but not anymore (I’m not entirely sure why, perhaps that aliens in Traveller are more alien then Elves and Halflings in the typical fantasy RPG?). However, the aliens fill an important role as NPCs and if you as a referee knows what makes them tick, they will make more interesting NPCs for the players to interact with.

That said, the aliens I would love to see is all the Minor Human Races (http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Minor_Human_Race), they would be used as player characters and they would make excellent additions to the NPC flora in a human dominated third imperium.

And Vargr of course, they are so cool. :)

My group is all human as well. I kinda wish one had gone with Aslan just to add to the adventure of the Drinax Campaign.

The minor humans would interest me more as well, but to each their own.

Well for me the books I'd like to see are Psion, and aliens (Hiver and K'Kree) .

Agree with a previous writer about the career books, Dilettant and cosmipolitans were the best two. OOPs batts going...

For impatient players:
Buy the stuff from older editions. Mongoose 1. GURPS Traveller. Milieu 0. Rebellion. Classic.
If it's setting material (what is K'kree culture like?) you don't need to translate to the latest rules anyway. For mercenary stuff, the instant adventurers in the classic books are a start; for detailed information about mercenaries, look at GURPS.
The old books are cheap, cheap, cheap from Far Future.

To Mongoose:
To be interesting, new alien races books need to have something for everyone. Since I find Hivers pretty cool, here's how I'd do a Hiver book (or Hiver section of a larger book):
- Repeat the best of the Hiver stuff that's already out there, so new people don't have to go back to older editions for the basics.
- Add lots of good new stuff, so old-timers have a reason to buy. Since Hivers have always been shortchanged, this is easier for Hivers.
- Give some information for Hiver territory, for someone who likes them enough to play a rimward trailing campaign.
- Give some information about what Hivers do far from home, for someone who wants to add Hivers to a Rift or Soinward Marches campaign.
- Give character information for Hivers as non-player characters, as player characters in a mostly non-Hiver group, and for a Hiver-centered group.
- Give stuff that makes people want to include Hivers in a game. That means Manipulation, mostly. Hivers are generally peaceful, so look at campaign ideas that are centered around social interaction, investigation, and other ways to make a low-combat adventure exciting.

And a "me too" on much of what others have asked for.

I second the request for more information on the 2300 AD line (as I'm about to launch a campaign). Where are Bayern and the Aerospace Engineer's Handbook in the pipeline?

Hi everyone,

The State of the Mongoose will be delayed until January (because reasons), so I thought I would give you a little update...

First off, Volume One of the Aliens of Charted Space is well under way. Aslan are complete (natch), Martin is tackling K'kree, and I have almost finished the Vargr. We will add Zhodani to that, and the first book will be finished!

It looks like we have some new layout people on board - Shadows of Sindal is almost completely laid out and, along with Behind the Claw (Marches & Deneb), is just waiting for art.

The Traveller Companion ebook (and pre-order) will be available this Friday...

The Drinaxian Companion is just waiting for the last text (which is due in a few days), and then that will be in editing and layout.

The Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society will be coming back - more news in late February, but if you like the Traveller Companion you are going to love this.

Aliens of Charted Space Volume 2 is going to be released alongside another title that will combine the Solomani Rim and Alpha Crucis sectors in the same way as Behind the Claw.

We are aiming to get all of these out (or at least off to print) in the first half of 2019.

Itharus said:
Hi,

So I'm a new Traveller gamer. As MGT2 is the newest edition, I went that way a few months back and started learning the system and prepping things to start a big campaign soon. However, I was looking for some alien books and the like... and noticed that they and other such supplements only exist in MGT1. I thought maybe MGT2 was REALLY new, but... it's not. It's been years.

"YEARS" I under your grief. It's been years and there wasn't even a Droyne, Hiver or K'Kree book for MGT1.

paltrysum said:
Plus, if you do K'kree, maybe we'll get a sector in that region. I know Martin has stated that someone invalidated his Gateway region (which publication did this?)

I think Martin means this one:

Luriani

msprange said:
The State of the Mongoose will be delayed until January (because reasons), so I thought I would give you a little update...

Thanks for the update, Matt -- it's great having things to look forward to. JTAS sounds like a great idea.

Dan.

Back