So what is A2089? questions from a newbie...

Ken

Mongoose
you know, i've never even looked at this section of the forum, concentrating most of my time at the Call to Arms section. but the more i'm reading about A2089, the more i am beginning to be intrigued.

i've read the general outline from the product info page, and i'm finding myself getting really interested. a futuristic world, with giant robots, but still grounded in reality... not as far fetched as with alien invasions and the like. kinda gritty, down and dirty sort of world. which is great.

will i need to get a generic d20 rulebook in order to play this game, like d20 mordern, or future? or would the A2089 rulebook suffice?

will this product be continually supported by mongoose? i saw in an older post where some gamers were lamenting the fact that there haven't been any new products in a while. 'dead game system' was something that came up a few times in those other posts.

and regarding miniatures, i personally feel that having a seperate miniatures wargame derivative would NOT be on my list of potential purchases. i would like to have minis incorporated into the existing rpg and be used only to dramatise combat and better visualise range and the like. to have an entirely seperate wargame, i feel, would detract from the strong storyline nature of the game and just become another tabletop game.

if you guys could just give me a few insights into the game, and answers to my questions, it'll be much appreciated. i am sorely tempted to get it... but need a few more pressing reasons to get down to buying it... thanks, guys

Ken said:
will i need to get a generic d20 rulebook in order to play this game, like d20 mordern, or future? or would the A2089 rulebook suffice?

The system is based off the d20 SRD (as opposed to the d20 Modern SRD), so you'll need the D&D rulebook, the Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook, or an alternative along those lines

Ken said:
will this product be continually supported by mongoose? i saw in an older post where some gamers were lamenting the fact that there haven't been any new products in a while. 'dead game system' was something that came up a few times in those other posts.

There haven't been any new books released in the line, but it looks like a new Armageddon:2089 system involving miniatures will be released in the future. Whether this combines with the RPG or is seperate doesn't seem to be clear yet.

A:2089 gets some support in Signs & Portents mag (the last article was only three months ago), but I wouldn't worry about the lack of new books - those that are out cover enough material to keep you gaming for a while :)

I wouldnt say its dead. It isnt like Mongoose only published 3 books and left a lot of questions unanswered, if you look at the books they have released, they have covered pretty much everything you could need to run games indefinitely. I mean, yes, you always like to see new material coming out for a game, but at least you can get all the books as they are now and not be left with too many questions.

I think there are some novels (which im anxiously awaiting) coming out, plus the new boxset somewhere in the latter half of the year :)

There have been mentions of future releases including novel, graphic novels and the minis combat game. Unfortunately Mongoose is waiting for Starship Troopers as their entry into the graphic/ print novels, SST will attract more new customers and reviews. A successful entry into these markets will allow future original material to tag along.

The minis game has been planed from the start. It could also benefit the RPG with updates and adjustments to the system. If the game is abstract like Epic 40k it would neither benefit or harm the RPG, if detailed like classic battletech it could be used in place of the D20 based combat.

There are a few things I feel would benefit the game in general.

Change to the D20 Modern system - the current character design system is optimized for Mek Pilots, limiting your option for non military play in a setting well suited for civilian adventures.

Adjustments to the aircraft and conventional vehicle design systems - the design sequence, based on Mek construction, is fine but some of the values seem unrealistic. Main Battle tanks that travel ar Formula 1 speeds and supersonic prop driven aircraft, the original book was meant to have a gritty realistic feel.

Updated weapons - most of the direct fire weapons are OK but artillery, bombs and missiles could use some work.

Expansion - the 2089 setting could easily be used as an alternate Cybernet or early Space setting. The current background material is compatible with low level cybernetics and 'Net' technology. The basic vehicle design system is also suited to design large spacecraft and stations. A supplement that expands the social background of the setting and options for future events would be great. Imagine your 2089 characters affecting the future then running a campaign in the world of their children.

--
Lane

Back