Sneak Attack wile Grappling?

If you are engaged in a grapple you loose you Dex bonus to defense versus all opponents except the opponent(s) you are grappling. This applies regardless of weither or not you initiated the grapple.

So if you are part of the grapple you cannot sneak attack your opponent. However if you are not part of the grapple then you can sneak attack the grappled opponent.

The old "I'll hold him, you hit him" combo is quite nasty. :wink:

Hope that helps.

Then the opponent still looses his Dex mod against opponents outside the grapple plus he takes a further -4 penalty to DV against opponents outside the grapple. He still gets his full DV against the person pinning him.

No, see p. 181
when an opponent has pinned you, you are held immobile (but not helpless) for 1 round.
The only thing you can do while pinned is attempt to break the pin.

Later.

I know the rule, but isn't that the definition of being pinned. I never really understood that rule.

But thanks!!!

argo said:
If you are engaged in a grapple you loose you Dex bonus to defense versus all opponents except the opponent(s) you are grappling. This applies regardless of weither or not you initiated the grapple.

Note that if a monster has the Improved Grab ability, it can grab and grapple as normal, but the monster is not considered grappled while it holds the opponent. It still threatens adjacent squares and retains its Dex bonus. (See p. 296 in the Atlantean Edition.)

This is different from the SRD where a creature with Improved Grab has to take a -20 penalty to the grapple check to avoid being considered grappled itself.

In other words, creatures with Improved Grab in the Conan RPG are somewhat nastier than their D&D counterparts.

- thulsa

Back