Skullgate of Hyperborea

Neeklus

Mongoose
What exactly is this? Could someone divulge some info on whether or not it's just a gate from the Border Kingdoms into Hyperborea, or something alot more sinister?

Thanks

Skull Gate: the skull of a mammoth, which marks the main pass into Hyperborea from the Border Kingdom. The skull is set into the side of a hill and bears the inscription:
THE GATE OF HYPERBOREA IS THE GATE OF DEATH
TO THOSE WHO COME HITHER WITHOUT LEAVE
Beyond the pass lies a plain.
(Witch of the Mists)

Hyperborea is an autarkical kingdom and don't like to be disturbed. Hence this warning.
IMO this is just a geographic feature.

Ah, I've only ever read REH Conan, so I had no idea. Where does the road/pathway from the gateway lead, on the Border Kingdom side?

I've pondered making the Skullgate a sinister fortress in the mountain pass, ruled by a cruel hyperborean noble who exacts tolls from those whom wish to pass...

The King said:
Skull Gate: the skull of a mammoth, which marks the main pass into Hyperborea from the Border Kingdom. The skull is set into the side of a hill and bears the inscription:
THE GATE OF HYPERBOREA IS THE GATE OF DEATH
TO THOSE WHO COME HITHER WITHOUT LEAVE
Beyond the pass lies a plain.
(Witch of the Mists)

Hyperborea is an autarkical kingdom and don't like to be disturbed. Hence this warning.
IMO this is just a geographic feature.

Apparently the Border Kingdoms shared the same alphabet and or studied Hyperborean laguage otherwise why have the warning!

Anyone have any cool Skullgate models? I found this one and although not a mammoth it could work and looks good!

SkullGate6.jpg

Is there any reference as to which road that leads from Skull Gate into the Border Kindgoms and whether or not it encounters any settlements in the BK?

Strom said:
Apparently the Border Kingdoms shared the same alphabet and or studied Hyperborean laguage otherwise why have the warning!
I didn't even notice! This is what we call a goof, isn't it? De Camp wrote that short stories in Conan of Aquilonia (these 4 stories which are of the worst sort IMO) and it is funny to see some contradictions in someone who corrected Howard's texts because he said there were contradictions.

Strom
Round Halloween time you can find plastic skulls for sale, of varying sizes. Take the bottom jaw off and model the skull into a craggy hillside (various books on modelling will advise techniques.) Give it a good paint job and..... find your players have decided to head for Shem. Oh well.
I'd post a photo but I haven't made the model yet!

Brass Jester
Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strom
Round Halloween time you can find plastic skulls for sale, of varying sizes. Take the bottom jaw off and model the skull into a craggy hillside (various books on modelling will advise techniques.) Give it a good paint job and..... find your players have decided to head for Shem. Oh well.
I'd post a photo but I haven't made the model yet!

That is a great idea! And excellent timing too! Thanks! If I put something together I will try and post it. I'll check old Marvel Conan for their interpretation of the Hyperborean alphabet.

The King said:
Strom said:
I didn't even notice! This is what we call a goof, isn't it? De Camp wrote that short stories in Conan of Aquilonia (these 4 stories which are of the worst sort IMO) and it is funny to see some contradictions in someone who corrected Howard's texts because he said there were contradictions.

Oh, come on! If it hadn't been for those novels some of us would have never been introduced to Conan and Hyboria! So give it a break already.

I don't belong to the pro or versus de Camp factions. So what about the break you're talking about.
I don't consider there whether de Camp brought the knowledge of Conan but the quality of some texts.
I appreciate some stories that he wrote or "improved" from Howard's original texts, especially the short stories. However he also wrote bad Conan stories (the 4 stories in Conan of Aquilonia) and this must be said too because it doesn't seem everyone there has read all pastiches.
Thus I wouldn't recommand these (not only for the contradictions noticed by Strom).

Back