Ships vs oceans depth

Vidgar

Banded Mongoose
Can a space ship handle 100 Atmospheres of pressure?
or can a ship survive a 1000m deep drive ?

All spaceships hull are pressurised to 1 Atmosphere.
What do you mean by Pressurised Hull?

Space ships are designed to keep 1 atm inside by resisting the lack of pressure outside. They can handle a basic amount of external pressure as a result.

However, high external pressure is not what they are designed for. There is an option to reinforce the hull to handle higher pressures such as deep in a gas giant atmosphere or underwater. That is what he is talking about with "Pressurized Hull".

Ok I understand Pressured hull, now.

So what is the underwater depth or Atmospheres that a normal (Un-pressurised Hull) Space ship (400T Type R merchant) can handle with reasonable risk?

On a more serious not, I think High Guard has some information on how deep into a Gas Giant a ship can dive for hyfrogen retrieval. That should give some indications.

IMTU, any ship with an MDrive can enter the upper levels of a gas giant to refuel, or at least a few hundred yards of water, due to having a component that acts like a grav vehicle.

There are actual rules in one of the books on trying to use your space ship as a submarine. Maybe when I get off work I'll try to figure out where they actually are. I feel like it was either a JTAS article or one of the sector books where they were talking about ships operating on a water world.

There are sort of three aspects:

1. You want to keep the air in.

2. You want to keep anything else out.

3. You don't want to hull to implode, or explode.

In theory, you could double hull the spacecraft, the outer hull dealing with any pressure encountered, the inner one being air tight.

The gas giant refuel rules I mentioned above are in the Traveller Companion, not High Guard. But there is nothing regarding water pressure. Still a worthwile read for that topic because it has different game effects for various depths which can be used for water too.
Also I think it was a plot point in Secret of the Ancients but at that point the module assumed that the players have access to technology that makes this problem a non-issue.

If a spaceship can handle a few hundred yards (or metres) of water depth (James ROWE), and basically it is 1 Atmospheres per 10 metre (or Yard), so 300 yards = 300 metres = 30 Atmosphere.
The reason is I have character who need to refuel on Elysee 2 in the Reft, where it is 100 Atmospheres (= depth of 1km) at sea level.

This would mean refueling from ice of top of a mountain.

AS a newbie ref, I just need a basic line to start working with

The Travellers companion 2024 has a small section on "Starships Under Pressure" p69-70. This states "Typical starships can withstand 10 Atmospheres of pressure (100m underwater) without structural damage and up to three times that much before danger of a major structural failure." But also suggests that leaks may occur even at 5 atmospheres pressure.
High Guard 2022 has the pressure hull option, that can operate at 50 km depth or 5000 atmospheres, though that costs a lot of the hull space. 25% spaces and 10x normal hull cost.
I guess that you could spec the depth you want and pay for just that capability. e.g. each 5km depth or 500 atmospheres costs 2.5% of space and an additional 100% of hull cost.

Thanks Gavain.
My Players are in a standard 400T Type R Subsidized Merchant that need to refuel on Elysee 2 in the Reft, where it is 100 Atmospheres (= depth of 1km) at sea level. So I just made a sleeping volcano crater at 8300m (30 Atmosphere) where they can re-fuel from ice and snow at 40T over 3 days. But I like the idea about leaks, which will be harder to found since it only cold air, not water.

I suppose a Investigation or Mechanic roll to locate and Mechanic roll to repair. Symptoms can be components freezing up, moisture in electronics, or just bloody cold air in parts of the ship. Not many but enough to create setback and add stress to the crew.
Thanks all

Back