Ship Design Philosophy

Very definitely: swarms of torpedo boats help offset a lower budgeted navy against an invader with very large, capital ships.

This is likely to turn out to be the Pacific campaign, which means mixed aerospace groups, at least to ensure that one group doesn't just get wiped out before contact.

1. You're not going to four firmpoints per hardpoint exchange.

2. I'll speculate that under five tonnes, there's no firmpoint.

3. Anything that requires, or benefits, from open sights aiming should be in the turret, of which you can only convert one firmpoint.

4. In theory, any weapon system that doesn't require energy to propel it's payload, like missiles, has no range restrictions.

5. I don't think it's been specified that sandcasters need to be pointed in direction of the incoming laser beam, so you should be able to place it in fixed firmpoints without penalty.

6. Missiles can change direction midflight, so also not an issue.

7. And we've run out of non energy options.

8. I'd stuff four light quarter tonne autocannons into the turret, or one that weighs a tonne or less, though I'm not sure if range really matters, considering their effective ones.

9. Acceleration for commercial spacecraft seems to reach factor five, so any paranoia would likely remain with local jurisdictions.
1) The math is easier at 25 tons, but that was more of a "wish list" item to compensate for the firmpoint barbette change (2 to 3).
2) That means zero options for fixed mounts on sub-5dton vehicles? Or just ground-scale weapons?
3) I am not sure I agree- turrets seem to be more about fire arcs than "open sight" aiming. The question is how much "wiggle room" does a fixed mount have. Is it locked in position, like the .50 cal and rocket pods on the OH-58D, or does it have some traverse (basically a pintel mount in a firing port)?
4) Agreed, that is my interpretation as well. Barrel length and the equivalent for energy weapons is smaller (this sort of matches the weapon design rules of the Field Handbook)
5) Agreed, that is my interpretation as well.
6) Agreed, that is my interpretation as well.
7) There are lots of options for close in defense. Not sure what the issue is here.
8) Sounds interesting. But, then again, I am the guy who would de facto spinal mount a 35-ton orbital defense cannon or hypervelocity cannon in a Fat Trader and call it a day.
9) Paranoia is good; especially in the absence of immediate gratification from ansible communications

1. Math might be, current rule set makes it five to thirty four tonnes for the first firmpoint; since you can't have a spacecraft hull below five tonnes, that sort of dictates the lower end of the range, helpful to remember if you have a hundred and five tonne hull.

2. See above; groundscale weapon systems have no set limitations, but actual mass translated to volume makes space usage very inefficient, so self limiting.

3. Open sight in the sense direct line of sight requirement, as opposed to guided manoeuvrable; you could have smart bullets, considering space ranges would allow that, but as I recall, ammunition costs would kill you.

4. At fifty kiloklix, slight variation would essentially be a very wide miss.

5. I've studied the potentialities of sandcasters; I'm not saying that I'm correct in real life function, just that the rules allow this interpretation.

6. Upto one hundred eighty degrees; might be more of an issue in dogfighting.

7. Everything else needs external electricity to propel, except missiles and torpedoes; canisters fall into a grey zone.

8. See point two.

9. Probably.

Spaceships: Mustering Out Benefits and Ship's Boat

1. Nominally, free and clear with a net worth of seven and a half megastarbux.

2. Pinnace is nine and a half megastarbux, with maybe a twenty one percent mortgage.

3. Modular cutter a tad under twelve megastarbux, thirty seven percent mortgage.

4. Shuttle, with fifty five percent mortgage.

5. Wouldn't bother with a launch.

6. Interesting target cost to aim at for a smallcraft, that the mustered out character could pick.

7. Would need to have military applications in order to be eligible, since I think it's only available to Navy veterans.

8. Presumably, forty years old.

9. In theory, if you find a ten tonne jump drive laying about, weld together some spare hulls and you have a starship.

Spaceships: Mustering Out Benefits and Ship's Boat

1. Nominally, free and clear with a net worth of seven and a half megastarbux.

2. Pinnace is nine and a half megastarbux, with maybe a twenty one percent mortgage.

3. Modular cutter a tad under twelve megastarbux, thirty seven percent mortgage.

4. Shuttle, with fifty five percent mortgage.

5. Wouldn't bother with a launch.

6. Interesting target cost to aim at for a smallcraft, that the mustered out character could pick.

7. Would need to have military applications in order to be eligible, since I think it's only available to Navy veterans.

8. Presumably, forty years old.

9. In theory, if you find a ten tonne jump drive laying about, weld together some spare hulls and you have a starship.
I used a version of number 9 a starting adventure a few days ago. The characters put together a starship from "Jane's Starship Junkyard".

The junkyard option is also pretty easy to exploit, so I wouldn't make it generic, but rather specific to a location, with lists of components and their conditions, and likely prices.

Having said that, unless there's some incompatible differences in manufacturing, there should have been millions of Alpha jump drives manufactured by now (or then).

Starships: Mustering Out Benefits and Ship Shares

1. It's megastarbux, not much in scheme of things.

2. Would use it for upgrades and repairs, since you could assume increased capabilities will pay off in better results.

3. Laboratory Ship is the most valuable, also biggest overhead, so you really need it to generate revenue or get a patron.

4. Safari Ship and Yacht cost about the same, but the Safari Ship has a greater range - I would guess it would depend on the flavour of the campaign, grit versus soft power.

5. Scout/Courier, if all you need is cheap transportation.

6. Free Trader, jack of all trades, should be easy to convert for a number of likely missions that Travellers tend to embark on, possibly all at the same time; wouldn't try the influencer route, though, that's for the Yacht.

7. Most come with a seventy five percent mortgage, at around sixty to seventy megastarbux.

8. Let's say sixty, with thirteen megastarbux equity.

9. That's something to aim for with a more customized starship, which I'll have a go at, but spoiler, a ten tonne jump drive defaults at fifteen megastarbux.

Last edited:
Starships: Rockette Class

1. Hull - hundred tonne planetoid.

2. Gravitated.

3. Eighty tonnes usable volume.

4. Self sealing, since technological level nine plus.

5. Fifty hull points.

6. Natural armour class plus two.

7. One hardpoint.

8. Basic systems - eight to sixteen power points.

9. External cargo mount - nominally twenty tonnes at twenty kilostarbux.

A. Jump drive Venture.

B. Technological level nine.

C. Budgetted/increased size.

D. Ten tonnes.

E. One hundred twenty parsec tonnes.

F. Nine megastarbux.

G. Generic reactionary rocket.

H. Technological level seven.

I. Budgetted/fuel inefficiency.

J. Two tonnes.

K. Three tenths of a megastarbux.

High Guard.

I'm starting to update my cheapest possible starship concept, within canonized material.

I could make a cheaper jump drive, but game legality would be highly controversial, besides the one shot jump drive.

L. Early fusion reactor.

M. Technological level eight.

N. Budgetted/increased size.

O. One tonne.

P. Three tenths of a megastarbux.

Q. Smaller bridge.

R. Six tonnes.

S. ... DM-1 for all checks related to spacecraft operations made from within the bridge ...

T. Quarter of a megastarbux.

U. After all, you're not going faster than one gee, or go further than a parsec.

Q. Computer/five.

R. Thirty kilostarbux.

S. Manoeuvre, freebie.

T. Library, freebie.

U. Jump control/one, one tenth of a megastarbux.

Spaceships: Computers and Crew Virtualization

1. Costs one megastarbux for factor zero.

2. Requires technological level ten and five bandwidth, per five crew positions.

3. Indeed, ships can be designed without a bridge, relying purely on this software package in order to function as a drone.

4. I interpret that as the physical bridge, for the human crew.

5. However, the cost of the bridge remains, since you still need to control the spacecraft, even if fly by wifi.

6. Default would be half a megastarbux per hundred tonnes, or part thereof.

7. Halved, if you're willing to have a minus one penalty to all spacecraft operations carried out from the bridge.

8. Technological level ten computer core has a bandwidth of a hundred, which would cap crew positions to hundred at any one time.

9. Though I suppose you could timeshare them, presumably without delay, but every six minutes turnover.

Last edited:

V. Basic sensors, which I would think be be automatically attached to every cockpit or bridge, even if only as a backup.

W. Hardpoints are free, tonnage allocation for turret would be drawn from cargo, if required.

X. Fuel processor saves cost, one tonne for fifty kilostarbux.

Y. Fuel scoops aren't free, and not ideal hull configuration, so no.

Z. Two tonne airlock, no tonnage, and freebie.

Spaceships: Freebie Two Tonne Airlocks

1. One per hundred tonnes of hull.

2. No tonnage required.

3. No cost.

4. That's a potential two percent of tonnage.

5. And one tenths of a megastarbux gift per airlock.

6. Which I think is a very bad idea.

7. Unrealistic.

8. And very exploitable.

9. On the other hand, has to be applied to my designs, since every other canon ship exploits the concept.

Last edited:

1. That leaves us with sixty tonnes empty.

2. A ten tonne stable, twenty five kilostarbux.

3. Stables come with their own air scrubbers and waste-collectors, avoiding the need to tax the existing life support systems of the ship.

4. Life support for upto twenty humans.

5. Cost twenty five hundred starbux per four weeks.

6. Combined with six tonne smaller bridge, and empty cargo spaces.

7. Twenty tonne fuel tank, freebie.

8. Thirty tonne cargo, freebie.

9. Cargo hatch, presumably freebie.

Inspiration: Space Truckers FULL MOVIE | Sci Fi Movies | Dennis Hopper | The Midnight Screening

A space trucker and his cute fiancee are on their way from a space station to Earth with an unknown cargo. When space pirates hijack them, 5000 disintegrator robots are found in the cargo.

Starring - Dennis Hopper, Stephen Dorff, Charles Dance, Tim Loane, Ian Beattie, Olwen Fouéré.
Directed By - Stuart Gordon

1. That's why you have failsafes in lethal programmes.

2. Being a genius, should have seen that coming.

3. "You're upsetting my pigs."

4. Bullet proof portholes.

5. Toilet gatekeepers.

6. I love the taste of toothpaste in the morning.

7. Pop ups.

8. Refrigerator optional.

9. Pheromones.

A. Captive audience.

B. Seven different forms of sedation.

C. Pull off.

D. Pirates versus ninja(bots).

E. Alien(s) rip off.

F. Loose ends.

Last edited:
Back