Shield Bonus

So when do you get your Shield Bonus to DV?

• Only when you have your full DV, including all bonuses.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When you've lost your ability mods, retaining only BPB and BDB, and the one above.

• When you're Flat-Footed, i.e. DV10, and the ones above.

• Total voters

Yokiboy

Mongoose
So when do you get your Shield Bonus to DV?

#1: Only when you have your full DV, including all bonuses.

#2: When you've lost your ability mods (can we just call this Impaired already?), retaining only BPB and BDB. And option #1.

#3: When you're Flat-Footed, i.e. have DV10. And option #1 and 2.

Personally I'm a bit torn on this and would like to see what the rest of you think makes sense. I like to encourage people wearing shields, as personally I don't think I'd ever go into battle without one. That could be the viking in me doing the talking, but why would I not want something to hide behind? :lol:

Anyhow, please share your views. I have all the other combat rules sorted out for my upcoming campaign, but need some help here.

I'm leaning towards option 2 at this time... :?

TTFN,

Yokiboy

I'd say you get full value to Dodge vs. Missiles from a shield even when flatfooted (it's a barrier, after all), but only half (rounded down) to parry when you are denied Dex or flatfooted, since you aren't actively moving it to intercept blows.

I didn't actually vote in the poll since my answer is a little complex.

By the RAW it is #1. A shield provides a parry bonus to your parry DV (or a dodge bonus to your ranged dodge DV, as the case may be) and it is prety clear that, even under the house rules we have been discussing, when you lose your ability bonuses your named bonuses go away too.

However, many people feel that sword 'n board is the weakest of the three styles even in standard d20. And there is a case to be made that in Conan TWF was improved by having its penalities eleminated outright and THF was improved by virtue that a good power attack is the only way to reliabily hit massive damage, but that sword 'n board got nothing. In that case it might make sense to house rule that you keep your shield bonus when Impaired. I do not think that you should keep it when Flat-footed as that is meant to represent you truly having all your defenses down. That house rule would help to ensure that sword 'n boarders keep on doing what they do best: being tanks. However, it would devalue the Reflexive Parry feat somewhat which is undesierable. As of right now I am undecided on this one. I think it needs playtesting.

Since I think shields are underrated in standard d20 (if there is such a thing) and that there is definitely a passive element in shield defense, my vote goes the same way : shield Bonus OK while Impaired but not when truly Flatfooted because the character isn't combat ready at all.

Hyena said:
Since I think shields are underrated in standard d20 (if there is such a thing) and that there is definitely a passive element in shield defense, my vote goes the same way : shield Bonus OK while Impaired but not when truly Flatfooted because the character isn't combat ready at all.

I use (3) - shields provide a sort of cover, so if attack is from the front - ie with shield in the way - it should always provide the bonus IMO. Attack from the rear or against a Pinned opponent would lose shield DV though.

Oh, there's definetely some adjucation to do on a case to case basis. For instance, I wouldn't allow his Shield Bonus to a character stabbed in the back by a previously unseen opponent (barring Reflexive Parry), but I would allow it to a character flanked by known opponents. I think a flanked character will do desperate twists and turns to avoid being too vulnerable.

Thanks for the input, I think I'll start with ruling that Shields provide their bonus while Impaired, and I'll see how it goes. I have a lot of little house rules already, and haven't even played the game. :p

TTFN,

Yokiboy

P.S. If anyone is interested, I'll gladly share my 4-page Combat Reference document (MS Word), which includes almost everything from the RAW, with some modifications and interpretations by yours truly. I could post it in the Yahoo! group too. Drop yokiboy at yahoo.com an e-mail if you want it.

Yokiboy said:
Thanks for the input, I think I'll start with ruling that Shields provide their bonus while Impaired, and I'll see how it goes. I have a lot of little house rules already, and haven't even played the game. :p

TTFN,

Yokiboy

P.S. If anyone is interested, I'll gladly share my 4-page Combat Reference document (MS Word), which includes almost everything from the RAW, with some modifications and interpretations by yours truly. I could post it in the Yahoo! group too. Drop yokiboy at yahoo.com an e-mail if you want it.

What's RAW? Go ahead and upload it!

Back