SHADIZAR rating

urdinaran said:
The 1st Shadizar book in the set is nice, 2nd is alright, 3rd (adventure) lousy; the map you get in the mail is great, the counters and the other maps are mediocre at best.

All in all, it's not worth the $50 cover price. One of the reasons I waited and got Messantia off of eBay for $36 (with shipping).
Oh good point. I forgot about the price. I got mine via Amazon (only waited 3 months for them to ship it too :lol: ). Yeah the retail price IS hard to justify. If you're like me, you don't plan on putting the other products inside the box so the mostly empty space inside the box isn't great.

jd0892 said:
I bought the set a couple of weeks ago and e-mailed for the replacement map. I was told that they were out of the maps. As a result I wouldn't hold my breath for one in the mail.

I'm pretty sure they'll get another batch done sometime, unless they told you different?

LBH

That's what they emailed me a few months back - they were going to print some more maps and when that was done they would mail them out.

But, your advice is sound LBH. Mayhap, I'll email them again. My group may end up in Shadizar someday... :)

For more information about Tales of the Black Kingdoms (for the critical GM) read the thread with this name.

My rating:

Tales 8 / 10

Shadizar 6 / 10

urdinaran said:
the counters and the other maps are mediocre at best.

Won't argue about the maps but they are just maps (I can hear the Old Schoolers cringing now) and are functional. Haven't seen the new one yet.

I think the counters were pretty good when you compare them to some of the other publishers out there. They are definitely the best CONAN counters (since they are the only ones) available to date and can be used for other mods as well.

BTW, I liked Shadizar better than Messantia but than again I am a bit biased. Shadizar is the high point of adventure in Hyboria for me.

HLD

High Lord Dee said:
urdinaran said:
the counters and the other maps are mediocre at best.

Won't argue about the maps but they are just maps (I can hear the Old Schoolers cringing now) and are functional. Haven't seen the new one yet.

I think the counters were pretty good when you compare them to some of the other publishers out there. They are definitely the best CONAN counters (since they are the only ones) available to date and can be used for other mods as well.

BTW, I liked Shadizar better than Messantia but than again I am a bit biased. Shadizar is the high point of adventure in Hyboria for me.

HLD
Hey man I agree. So far 2006 has been precipitous for us. My group's having a fight and may trash my Conan campaign (sucks) and my second group hasn't met yet to start off that campaign, so I don't know what's in store for me as GM this year if anything. If Conan does survive though, Shadizar's waiting.

[/quote]Hey man I agree. So far 2006 has been precipitous for us. My group's having a fight and may trash my Conan campaign (sucks) and my second group hasn't met yet to start off that campaign, so I don't know what's in store for me as GM this year if anything. If Conan does survive though, Shadizar's waiting.[/quote]

What are they fighting about? Ale? Wenches? Magic Items (oops, wrong setting), silver? Each other? The Blood thirsty DM?

If so, than that sounds familiar....

HLD

High Lord Dee said:
Hey man I agree. So far 2006 has been precipitous for us. My group's having a fight and may trash my Conan campaign (sucks) and my second group hasn't met yet to start off that campaign, so I don't know what's in store for me as GM this year if anything. If Conan does survive though, Shadizar's waiting.

What are they fighting about? Ale? Wenches? Magic Items (oops, wrong setting), silver? Each other? The Blood thirsty DM?

HLD
No, they're fighting over wanting to play other games. One guy wants to run a dozen different games and he can't GM (e.g., doesn't know rules, doesn't listen to players, doesn't like when the players don't respond to the written adventure, etc.) , and another player hates all things Conan and refuses to play; which has caused a fight and now it looks like Conan game may be scrapped. I don't know. One player put up a "List your top 4 games" and now all these different games are being thrown out pellmell. I'm getting sick of 'gaming' right now to be honest.

Bregales said:
High Lord Dee said:

HLD
No, they're fighting over wanting to play other games. One guy wants to run a dozen different games and he can't GM (e.g., doesn't know rules, doesn't listen to players, doesn't like when the players don't respond to the written adventure, etc.) , and another player hates all things Conan and refuses to play; which has caused a fight and now it looks like Conan game may be scrapped. I don't know. One player put up a "List your top 4 games" and now all these different games are being thrown out pellmell. I'm getting sick of 'gaming' right now to be honest.[/quote]

He hates Arnold Schwarzenneger and doesn't care what anyone says about the source (Howard) or anything else, he just refuses to be around when its being played. It seems Conan is the only comic series he refuses to read. Hey we (in the gaming group) all have our particular hates, mine is superheroes games, I don't want anything to do with them. Another player has never seen a Bond film and has never read any of the Fleming novels but has decided he hates the James Bond rpg.

Bregales said:
He hates Arnold Schwarzenneger and doesn't care what anyone says about the source (Howard) or anything else, he just refuses to be around when its being played. It seems Conan is the only comic series he refuses to read. Hey we (in the gaming group) all have our particular hates, mine is superheroes games, I don't want anything to do with them. Another player has never seen a Bond film and has never read any of the Fleming novels but has decided he hates the James Bond rpg.

WADR (With all due respect), I think you need to upgrade your gaming acquaintances. :)

Bregales said:

Just curious, what are some of the other games they are throwing at you?

Hey thanks guys. Things got very busy at work yesterday and I've been in a funk this winter I guess. They're an okay group, some of them go out of their way to help a guy out, others take no effort at all. It's just the nature of different people.

Suffice it tosay that three of the group love the game, one of which just doesn't like playing the Conan game with this particular group, one has never seen the game but hates it (and funny thing is, he used the Mongoose character generator and made up the best character of the lot before saying how much he hated it and refused to play the game :roll: ), one guy bought every Mongoose release but doesn't want to play the game, and one guy neither loves nor hates the game, just tries to play wacky characters.

To which I say, hey it's New York City, every one who lives here is EXPECTED to be wierd!!! :lol: Thanks for your comments on this guys, but I think I'll let this forum get back to it's intended topic. :p

Bregales said:
(and funny thing is, he used the Mongoose character generator and made up the best character of the lot before saying how much he hated it and refused to play the game :roll: )

Mongoose Character Generator??

Back