Sentencing very young Juves

Mayhem

Mongoose
I've got an encounter coming up in which a Perp is entertaining a group of small children, dressed as a popluar childrens vidnet cartoon character.

When the nasty Judges come to arrest him, chances are a number of these impressionable youngsters will leap to his defence, with that "hanging off your leg" manouver that small children throwing tantrums seem to have mastered.

(I thinks its some kind of secret wrestling art taught at pre-school play-groups, maybe).

What sort of sentencing would you apply in this case? Obstructing a judge? How much leniency should be shown to very young perps who may not fully comprehend the seriousness of their actions?

Mayhem said:
Snip

What sort of sentencing would you apply in this case? Obstructing a judge? How much leniency should be shown to very young perps who may not fully comprehend the seriousness of their actions?

Hi Mayhem,
As Dredd woud say being young is no defence against breaking the law! However I would hope that the helms responding to the incident would be wise enough to show some leniancy towards these young perps. In the past Dredd himself has come up against pre-schoolers and even he showed some leniancy.

Just use your best judgement and if you feel that the judges do come down a little to hard you can always have their watch commander repremand them later back at the sector house.

Marc

Mayhem said:
I've got an encounter coming up in which a Perp is entertaining a group of small children, dressed as a popluar childrens vidnet cartoon character.

When the nasty Judges come to arrest him, chances are a number of these impressionable youngsters will leap to his defence, with that "hanging off your leg" manouver that small children throwing tantrums seem to have mastered.

(I thinks its some kind of secret wrestling art taught at pre-school play-groups, maybe).

It's a 13/4 (obstruction) violation carrying a sentence of 3 months - 2 years (or a 24/1 of 13/4, 28 days - 1 year - attempted obstruction rather than actual, as only a very small judge would be impeded by pre-school juves), although if it's a first offence a lenient judge may let them off with a caution. Also remember that judges are supposed to ensure the safety of citizens, so would be obliged to remove the juves before heading into a potentially dangerous situation.

Although he should also ensure that local schools and pre-schools are recieving regular Justice Department lectures on the perils of interfering with a judge in the course of his duty and making sure they have proper respect for the Law.

And they have their own version of the Iso-Cubes called the Juve Cubes where they spend their sentence - presumably something akin to a young offenders institute rather than a prison

That makes me think of a perfect theme for an article for S&P or even as part of a expansion pack for the game. Someone far more talented that I am should write a guide to the cubes. It could cover where they are located, maybe some floorplans, details of the kind of security they have, etc. Would be perfect for a prison-break scenario... though that would be almost suicidal unless the perps were high level and very well organized... sounds like fun...

Arabin

I was thinking about this, and I reckon any decent Judge is going to let them off, but probably arrest their supervisor for deriliction of duty, or the poor old dinosaur matey for incitement to commit a crime.

More than likely of Stoney Face would have let them off with a warning or somekind of educational program. Or maybe sentanced them to the accademy, if they managed to prevent him in his duty (and under 5)

Having looked over the adventure in which this incident happened, I'm not sure that all of the above is applicable. Since the person looking after the kids, is actually the perp, and the kids love this character, they would naturally try to get in the way.

I'm picturing the perp making a run for it in a crowded environment, two kids jump and cling to every judges legs, impeding his movement (halve movement rate and make strength check each round or fail to move at all). In this case, would it be acceptable to pull out your lawgiver and shoot the perp in the legs in front of the Juves? Considering this is Mega City One, I'm sure every kid has seen dozens of guns fired, no matter what their age.

I think I would have to recommend that the juves be questioned as to why they are not in school (is there still school?). The juves should then be scanned for indentification, then a call put out over loud speakers for the kids parents. The parents should be thoroughly questioned, possibly follow them to their apartments and conduct a thorough search. Then the kids should be forced to attend some conditioning sessions to make them respect the law. Who knows, maybe some of these kids could be future Judges.

Just my thoughts...

Arabin

Arabin said:
In this case, would it be acceptable to pull out your lawgiver and shoot the perp in the legs in front of the Juves?

Its not so much as "not in front of the juves" as "not in a crowded shopping mall", I would say ;)

Although making the clown suit equivalent in protection to an anti-mugging suit was definatly a mistake - downgrade it to Sports Armour... unless your judges are significantly better equipped for melee than mine were...

Good advice :) I think if you fired a a couple of warning shots or something, people might panic and move out of the way enough for you to get a shot off. About the only thing that would be completely unacceptable would be to use either richochet, hi-ex or heaven forbid, indendiary. If you have those kind of players is probably safer to start a perp campaign.

Arabin

Mayhem said:
Arabin said:
In this case, would it be acceptable to pull out your lawgiver and shoot the perp in the legs in front of the Juves?

Its not so much as "not in front of the juves" as "not in a crowded shopping mall", I would say ;)

Most judges are fair in their application of the law, and just. Extra Judical actions are likely to end up on Titan, for the next 20 or so years.... 15 years training not withstanding, the Justice Dept is probably harder on it own than criminals. Of course resisting arrest is difficult to prove either way.....

Oh, there is no question that the guy (an umpty bagger) is resisting arrest.

The problem with the crowds isn't witnesses, its where will your bullets end up if you miss?

You could always call control and let them know which exit the perp is heading to... that way he might have a nice surprise waiting for him when he tries to leave... either a few judges on their lawmasters, or even a H-Wagon if one is nearby and unoccupied.

Arabin

Thats going to look good in their performance review.

"My doubts about the proficiency of Squad Bronze first began when they called for backup during a confronation with a clown and a small band of six-year-olds..."

Well, the H-Wagon would be OTT, but calling for backup while you take care of the juves would be preferable to you shooting them just to get to the clown. You can't beat up the kids with your daystick. If there were enough kids, then as fast as you pick them off your legs to put them down, more might be grabbing your legs. If that circumstance... what would you recommend?

Arabin

Teamwork, 1 judge clobbers the perp, the rest take care of the kids (gently) ensuring that judge #1 is kept free. shooting the perps in front of the kids is something judges do on a regular basis and probably seen as educational.

I'd just like to add how an good idea I think this scenario is, it can't just be solved with a bloodbath.

Good point Fluffy, your idea is the best so far. It would probably involve most of the Judges having to make checks to keep hold of the kids, while the Judge that pursues the perp having to make dexterity checks as he runs through the crowd. Of course, the perp would have to be making the same checks.

Mayhem gets all the credit for the idea, and I also think it's great. It's probably making us think about consequences of actions more than a lot of other scenarios.

Stumm Gas would also work, but I think the place would be too crowded for a richochet. The drive by boot would definitely not work though, as you are in a crowded area and had to leave your bike outside.

Mayhem, thanks for prompting this great discussion.

Arabin

Back