Savage Worlds Conan & Character Sheet!

Trig

Mongoose
Hey all, I have begun work on a new Savage Worlds version of Conan, starting with the Hyborian Races as previewed below and a brand spanking new Savage Sword of Conan character sheet desgined by me! Any feedback would be greatly welcomed. Further files will include updated equipment rules, new rules for sorcery and corruption, rules for new edges and hindrances and much more. Watch this space.... Trig

Check it out!

Races - http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d9fb0dafb7f70781b64026cfc0611236e04e75f6e8ebb871

Character Sheet - http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d9fb0dafb7f70781b64026cfc0611236e04e75f6e8ebb871

how do you envisage doing magic. Would be great to stay close to Mongoose magic sysyem as I think it is pretty darn good in its tone. Also keep conversion of D20 scenarios on the easier side.

Heya guys,

In answer to your queries, I will be basing the magic system around the Solomon Kane rules, with adaptations made to it to make it more in keeping with the Conan D20 magic system. Both have a very Howardian feel to them, and I think that they manage to capture the essence of Hyborian Age magic very well. More updates to follow. Trig

Hey rabindranath72. Indeed different superstitons are covered by two different hindrances. Eastern Superstitions are covered by the phobia hindrance when faced with hypntoism of any kind, to represent the fear they have of hypnotic power. However the people of the black kingdoms etc. have the superstitious hindrance which basically makes them suffer a -2 on their guts rolls when faced by any supernatural entities.

The phobia superstitons represent a particular fear of an element of sorcery, whereas the superstions of some other cultures are moreso a direct fear of supernatural creatures of any kind. Hence the need for two different hindrances. Hope that helps. Trig

While I like Savage Kane magic conceptually, with its casting modifier mechanic, in play I've found it to not be any fun. There is nothing worse than spending 6 rounds casting, while your comrades have tons of fun battling the baddies, only to find that at the end of 6 rounds the enemy has already been defeated. Or how bout you spend 6 rounds casting, and just when you're about to finally cast your spell, you get disrupted and lose it? As a Kane sorcerer, that's the story of your life.

I started with Kane magic, and gave it several months, but it was awful in play. I've since reverted to standard Savage Worlds magic, and it has universally been accepted as more fun to play.

Just my opinion of course.

I would, however, like to see adaptions of Mongoose magic, as it's VERY thematic.

You can find another SW sheet (in french) here:
http://www.scenariotheque.org/Fichiers/scenarios/pdf/6156_Feuilles_pretires.pdf

W.

Thanks for the answer!
I must admit I am not entirely comfortable with this level of discrimination between cultures (not in d20, not in SW).
If/when I use SW for a Conan game, I am going to use the RuneQuest idea of cultural backgrounds. I guess 4 are more than enough:
- Civilised (Hyborians, Stygians, Zamorans, Zingarans, Vendhyans, Khitan etc.),
- Nomadic (Shemites, Hyrkanians, Turanians etc.),
- Barbarian (Cimmerian, Hymelian, Nordheimr) ,
- Savage (Black Kingdoms etc.)

The Common Knowledge mechanic in SW would provide the rest based on fluff, not rules.

Style said:
I started with Kane magic, and gave it several months, but it was awful in play. I've since reverted to standard Savage Worlds magic, and it has universally been accepted as more fun to play.

I would, however, like to see adaptions of Mongoose magic, as it's VERY thematic.

Completely agree here. To conan-ize magic in SW I would use the AB(Magic) as a base. Then I would tweak the backlash rules a bit to include some of the Conan runaway magic results (for certain spells only). It would be a simple matter to split up the SW powers into sorcery styles as per Conan as well. Then you could limit your PC spellcasters to knowing 1 sorcery style per rank, or something like that. I'm not sure you'd want to include corruption or not, it would depend on your campaign.

quigs said:
Style said:

Completely agree here. To conan-ize magic in SW I would use the AB(Magic) as a base. Then I would tweak the backlash rules a bit to include some of the Conan runaway magic results (for certain spells only). It would be a simple matter to split up the SW powers into sorcery styles as per Conan as well. Then you could limit your PC spellcasters to knowing 1 sorcery style per rank, or something like that. I'm not sure you'd want to include corruption or not, it would depend on your campaign.
Not a huge fan of the corruption rules; I cannot recall any Howard story in which it's hinted at that sorcery corrupts with the effects described in the d20 Conan book. Nor of defensive blasts.
I am running a BRP Conan campaign, using the sorcery rules from Call of Cthulhu, and it works quite well. Magic is still scary since it induces obsession and madness, which seems to be more in line with Howard's descriptions. I would probably do the same for a SW conversion.

rabindranath72 said:
Not a huge fan of the corruption rules; I cannot recall any Howard story in which it's hinted at that sorcery corrupts with the effects described in the d20 Conan book. Nor of defensive blasts.

Sure, it's there. Remember? When Luke is battleing Vader, and the Emperor is watching...

...wait! That's not Howard.

:?

rabindranath72 said:
I am running a BRP Conan campaign, using the sorcery rules from Call of Cthulhu, and it works quite well. Magic is still scary since it induces obsession and madness, which seems to be more in line with Howard's descriptions. I would probably do the same for a SW conversion.

Wish this would come out already: http://realityblurs.com/wordpress/?p=1063

It's still being listed as "In Development". **sigh**

http://realityblurs.com/wordpress/?page_id=2

Supplement Four said:
rabindranath72 said:

Sure, it's there. Remember? When Luke is battleing Vader, and the Emperor is watching...

...wait! That's not Howard.

:?
LOL yeah, nice scene

Style said:
rabindranath72 said:

Wish this would come out already: http://realityblurs.com/wordpress/?p=1063

It's still being listed as "In Development". **sigh**

http://realityblurs.com/wordpress/?page_id=2
I had completely forgotten about this! It's on my list of things to buy.

As an aside, the Hyborian Age is explicitly mentioned in the timeline in the BRP Call of Cthulhu book 8)

"Reign of King Conan of Aquilonia" is explicitely mentioned in the time line of my favorite Cthulhu quick reference site:

http://www.maison-otaku.net/~rhea/Cthulhu/Cthulhu.html

Krushnak said:
As an aside, the Hyborian Age is explicitly mentioned in the timeline in the BRP Call of Cthulhu book

Thats because the Hyborian Age is part of the Cthulhu Mythos.
Yes, definitely! I suppose the explicit reference in CoC was written from 5th or 6th edition? I "jumped" directly from 4th edition (and there is no mention of the Hyborian Age) to 6th edition (bought recently.) It was a nice surprise, and gave me lots of ideas to integrate Stormbringer with CoC, and for using a simple and effective sorcery system which does not require a separate class/profession nor additional rules. Everyone can become a sorcerer, and being one is not dependent on game mechanics but only on player choice.

Back