RQ Conversion

Mac V

Mongoose
SIMPLE QUESTION> I DON"T CARE WHICH SYSTEM IS BETER THAN ANOTHER!

Not having ANY Conan RPG books, IF I was to try a Rune Quest conversion, would I need the handbook, or just the location books?

If you don't have any Conan RPG books and you want to run RQ you need the RQ rulebook. If you want to expand your knowledge of Hyboria then you should get the Road of Kings.

Then you could get the different supplements as you need them - which may require some converting depending on how you use them. No need to convert flavor text. :lol:

I'd say that you'd definitely need to at least thouroughly read through the Atlantean edition D20 rule book. You'r enot going to get very far without knowing the intent and current method of doing thing in order to, essentially, un-do them to make it work the same in RQ.

That edition also has a world summary written by Howard himself, so you'd get the basics of Hyborea there too, as well as a pretty complete list of the fundamental monsters one might encounter.

I will say that the rumor is that there will be a conversion PDF soon, so you might hold off for a bit before doing a lot of unncecessary hard work.

Anyone got more info on the RQ convert PDF rumor?

That's the stuff I was looking for. Thanks guys. Yeah, another shout out for rumors on RQ Conan please?

Strom said:
If you don't have any Conan RPG books and you want to run RQ you need the RQ rulebook. If you want to expand your knowledge of Hyboria then you should get the Road of Kings.

Then you could get the different supplements as you need them - which may require some converting depending on how you use them. No need to convert flavor text. :lol:

Yeah, I guess that's true. If you like the RQ system you dont' really need the AE rules. Just get the ROK book for all the geo-politics and stuff like that and you should be fine apart from monsters.

Yup, ROK makes a great sourcebook for use with pretty much any system. What else (if anything) you need really just depends on how much you know already and how much work you're prepared to put in.

I have found Conan to be one of the easiest games to convert into using a different non-d20 ruleset.

Aside from the setting info which is all within Road of Kings, the only other speedbump for conversions is Sorcery, which can be either hard or easy depending on what rules you wanna use.

Everything else is pretty simple and can usually be used as is. Races, you only need humans, classes, aside from the Scholar and Thief, everyone else is essentially a warrior of some kind. Skills are standard for most systems, same with feats and equipment.

I'm doing my own conversion for Savage Worlds and its a lot less work than I had thought.

Back