RPG 1st to 2E Conversion Queries/Concerns . . . .

lastbesthope

Mongoose
Well I've had a look at the conversion appendix in the back of 2E and while it is a good start I feel it lacks a few bits as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like what I have read of the second edition, but I feel that we need a little more help to make our 1st edition stuff as compatible as we were told it would be.

While character conversion is quite well covered, I think more could have been put in. In particular, for the Ranger class, we have from existing 1st edition material a base class and 3 prestige classes. Does this replace all of them?

The 2E conversion says that personal equipment is unchanged. Just looking over the core books IO can see that Shock Sticks, Minbari fighting knives and even the old EA PPG have changed noticeably. What of the myriad pieces of equipment in all the supplements?

Vehicles and spacecraft: The stat blocks and rules for these have changed dramatically. I think we definitely need some conversion guidelines here. The appendix simply states that all stats have been changed to work with new space combat rules. Not much use for all the ships in our 1E supplements.

That pretty much covers the major gaps I've spotted. I have seen the conversion notes as the playtesters had it just prior to me buying a copy of the book at the open day and I couldn't help but notice that the original version was more comprehensive than the one that made it into the book?

The conversion documents as they stand have noticeable spaces that need to be covered in order to allay my concerns that all my 1st edition material will indeed be useable. As such I wonder why the conversion document was trimmed when if anything it needs to be expanded and wonder if Mongoose has any plans to release an expanded conversion document to cover the holes I mention via the website

Thanks

LBH

LBH, you dont seem to be having much luck with this. With all the bumping you are making, maybe we should call you Jacob Marley :p

Perhaps we can make the think faster by asking a few questions, I begin, since I have B52E for a week and begin to convert my player's characters.

So :

- is this normal Notice is not a class skill for Diplomat since Spot and Listen was in 1st ed. ?

- are the racial feats (including Traits and Minbari martial arts) in the Races Books (Minbari, Earth Alliance, Narn etc.) can be used like this or do we will have a conversion ? One of my character has crest blindness for example

hope an answer by Valen :D

Well there already is a much more complete conversion guide that the playtesters saw, we just need to get Mongoose to flesh that out a little more and we're home free.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Well there already is a much more complete conversion guide that the playtesters saw, we just need to get Mongoose to flesh that out a little more and we're home free.

LBH
it will be out soon ?

With all due respect, but with all the delay and no official statements, and also having heard that a large conversion document already existed, one gets the impression that Mongoose is holding it back since then loyal buyers of all the 1st ed stuff, like me, would not need to buy the shiny new "ships of the galaxy" that happens to hit the shelfs shortly.

Though I quite possibly will buy the Shipbuilder guide and "ships of the galaxy", even if only to save me time converting the stuff I need, I must admit that I feel somehow cheated by Mongoose. They promised full compatibility with all the 1st edition stuff,
Taken from the website:
Best of all, the 2nd Edition Babylon 5 RPG is fully compatible with all the supplements printed during the first edition of the game, from the Earth Alliance Fact Book, right up to Merchants, Traders and Raiders!
but in case of the ships and vehicles they simply lied or forgot to mention that it isn't so.

Had they told in front that the things are compatible except of the ships and vehicles due to a complete change of rules, I would have understood. But going like they are doing now, well .... it leaves behind a bad taste and a lot of room for speculation....

Mongoose, please put your feet where your mouth is !

Kitty Of Doom said:
With all due respect, but with all the delay and no official statements, and also having heard that a large conversion document already existed, one gets the impression that Mongoose is holding it back since then loyal buyers of all the 1st ed stuff, like me, would not need to buy the shiny new "ships of the galaxy" that happens to hit the shelfs shortly.

Even the playtester converison document I got a look at lacks some conversion info. I'm sure Mongoose are working on it. I'll keep badgering away at Matthew until he gives us it, or sets ted Chang on me :lol:

LBH

Hi guys,

No great conspiracy going on - we really are working as hard as we can! Can't give you a date on this yet, but we are on it. . .

msprange said:
Hi guys,

No great conspiracy going on - we really are working as hard as we can! Can't give you a date on this yet, but we are on it. . .
Thanks M. Sprange. Hope it will be ready as soon as I launch my B5 campaign back :D

Back